Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kestrel Weather Meters?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Kestrel Weather Meters?
on: December 10, 2010, 05:00:03 PM
Hey,

Anyone on here have one of these units or has anyone used one?  Handy?  Accurate?  Useful while hiking or just gimmicky?

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Re: Kestrel Weather Meters?
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 05:19:10 PM
I never owned one, but if you want a reliable and accurate device the Kestrels are regarded as one of the best. You should know what to do with the data it provides (a barometer doesn't help if you don't know what falling pressure means, especially if you are hiking in the mountains...!) I like to know how cold it is etc., for others it is just useless extra stuff. You have to decide if you "need" the information.

I decided for another one in the end because of the price. Bought a Silva ADC Pro which offered lots of weather data (and is really accurate, too), but the wind measuring device has to be handled very accurate to get a good measuring (it's quite small). The Kestrel should be easier to use. I have another device for wind only, so this wasn't critical for me. Unfortunately the Silva died last winter when I left it outside in a storm. It dangled around in the wind and hit the wall several times quite hard.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Kestrel Weather Meters?
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 07:27:59 PM
I`ve thought about getting one of those for several years but never got around to it. When I was doing a lot of highpointing I thought it would be a useful item. Since I have not used one I have no idea if there are any good or not.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD