Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need some gun advise.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Re: Need some gun advise.
Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 12:08:52 AM
I was issued with  a Glock 17 when I was in the military and I wasn’t that impressed with it, but that was almost 10 years ago and the weapons we were issued with was old and not that well taken care of, but it really put me of Glock’s. Perhaps it’s time for me give the Glock a chance.

Were they reliable? I was in the US military in the early 90's and there were still a few 1911's in service. I was an infantryman so my exposure to them was limited. I was trained much more on a rifle. But the few I did manage to shoot all rattled like hell and were barely accurate enough for combat but they fired every damn time.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 01:03:25 AM
It was a lot of rattle in them and they were OK when it came to accuracy.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 02:06:15 PM
I was issued with  a Glock 17 when I was in the military and I wasn’t that impressed with it, but that was almost 10 years ago and the weapons we were issued with was old and not that well taken care of, but it really put me of Glock’s. Perhaps it’s time for me give the Glock a chance.

As for the trigger pull in DA/SA or the safety trigger it isn’t that important for me since I will only fire it at the range and won’t be doing any tactical with it or carry it on my person. I have also been eying the XD-M as an alternative. Put the more I read reviews the more I’m leaning for the 226.

The P226 will serve you well on the range.  My SIGs were always my favorites at the range, and very accurate.  The only reason I stopped using them was that I wanted to limit my practice to firearms that operate the same as those that I carry.

I have mixed feelings about my XD-M.  While it is quite accurate, I've never shot any better with it than I did my SIGs regardless of the XD-M's longer sight radius and "match" barrel.  In addition, Springfield basically duplicated a Glock action but added additional complexity with a grip safety and a firing pin indicator.  Both of those features are totally unnecessary in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:25:32 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 07:25:58 PM
I was issued with  a Glock 17 when I was in the military and I wasn’t that impressed with it, but that was almost 10 years ago and the weapons we were issued with was old and not that well taken care of, but it really put me of Glock’s. Perhaps it’s time for me give the Glock a chance.

As for the trigger pull in DA/SA or the safety trigger it isn’t that important for me since I will only fire it at the range and won’t be doing any tactical with it or carry it on my person. I have also been eying the XD-M as an alternative. Put the more I read reviews the more I’m leaning for the 226.

The P226 will serve you well on the range.  My SIGs were always my favorites at the range, and very accurate.  The only reason I stopped using them was that I wanted to limit my practice to firearms that operate the same as those that I carry.

I have mixed feelings about my XD-M.  While it is quite accurate, I've never shot any better with it than I did my SIGs regardless of the XD-M's longer sight radius and "match" barrel.  In addition, Springfield basically duplicated a Glock action but added additional complexity with a grip safety and a firing pin indicator.  Both of those features are totally unnecessary in my opinion.

When I looked at new guns for the department I tested the Sig P250, Glock 22, Glock 35, Springfield XD, and Smith Wesson M&P.  I included many others in the selection but I personally loved the XD.  M&P was my second and the gun we ended up getting, but boy was that XD a smooth shooter.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 09:32:18 PM
boy was that XD a smooth shooter.

I won't deny that.  I'm very satisfied with the XD-M, but I replaced my SIG SP2022 w/it, and I dont think it was an upgrade by any means.  It carries more rounds, but that's about it.

Being that I'm a Glock fan, you can tell that "smooth shooting" isn't at the very top of my priority list.  ;)  :D  I also carry a S&W 442 Airweight at times, so that further supports that argument.  :P  Reliability and engineering simplicity/quality are my main considerations, but that wouldn't necessarily be the case if I were buying just for the range, as Medic82 has mentioned he's doing.  The XD/XD-M or a DA/SA SIG would be fine choices for that, IMO.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:47:21 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline sappyg

Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 12:35:18 AM

M&P was my second and the gun we ended up getting, but boy was that XD a smooth shooter.

was this decision based on price i.e. lowest bidder or overall quality? S&W is known for questionable business practices in the past and present.
i

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 01:30:33 PM
If you are talking about a pure target pistol , and If you can find one at a good price ( Which is doubtfull ) , look a a SIG 210 . One of the most accurate /best made autos ever . Back in the day , there were caliber conversion kits available . The 226 is a very fine pistol , but you should also eventually consider a good quality .22 target pistol .

Chris

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 08:23:00 PM

M&P was my second and the gun we ended up getting, but boy was that XD a smooth shooter.

was this decision based on price i.e. lowest bidder or overall quality? S&W is known for questionable business practices in the past and present.
The decision was based on quality and test officer feedback.  I contacted many departments before going with the M&P.  I am not aware of any questionable practices involving Smith and Wesson since I took over the firearms program......well except that they poorly copied Glock in making the Sigma. 

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 02:27:31 AM
Craig , a bunch of S&W execs were picked up by the Feds. at the Shot show ( talk about sending a message ) , Gotta admit i don't remember what the charges were , but it was about bussiness practice issues .

Chris

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 05:00:42 AM
I heard about it from a buddy that was at shot, something to do with dealings outside the country.  I forgot about it because I never did hear the details.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 02:34:14 PM
Now that i think on it , I think it involved an African Country . Third world arms deals can get pretty convaluted , kickbacks being the rule .

Chris

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 02:44:24 PM
Now that i think on it , I think it involved an African Country . Third world arms deals can get pretty convaluted , kickbacks being the rule .

Chris
Wanna help me start a small country?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 31, 2010, 01:54:23 PM
Another avenue you should consider , is a used Walther GSP - lots to be found in old Europe . You couldn't find a better pistol to learn the craft of pistol shooting . Once you become accomplished ( scores of between 520-540 in the Standard Pistol event , branch out into whatever discipline appeals to you . Centerfires are rather expensive to learn on , especially if you don't or can't handload . In novices , they tend to induce flinching , and all kinds of other problems .

Learn to shoot well , before you play with the powerfull stuff .

Chris

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: August 29, 2010, 04:00:07 PM
Well Saturday was a good day at the range since I got to try out a 226 and a Glock 17. The conclusion is that the 226 ROCKS and the Glock is trash, at least the Glock 17 is. I did not like how the Glock felt in my hand, did not like the recoil or the trigger pull. So far the Glock is a big no-no for me, and it have never really been up there on the list.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 12:56:01 AM
Well Saturday was a good day at the range since I got to try out a 226 and a Glock 17. The conclusion is that the 226 ROCKS and the Glock is trash, at least the Glock 17 is. I did not like how the Glock felt in my hand, did not like the recoil or the trigger pull. So far the Glock is a big no-no for me, and it have never really been up there on the list.

I own a glock, because its cheaper and parts are readily available, but would also go for the Sig 226 nice choice. Have you also seen the CZ Shadow?
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010, 12:24:12 PM
the Glock is trash, at least the Glock 17 is. I did not like how the Glock felt in my hand, did not like the recoil or the trigger pull.

Other than the fact that you just don't like it, what made you determine that the G-17 is "trash"? 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:30:43 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 30, 2010, 03:03:45 PM
It's black and scary.  :o :o
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 30, 2010, 10:16:16 PM
the Glock is trash, at least the Glock 17 is. I did not like how the Glock felt in my hand, did not like the recoil or the trigger pull.

Other than the fact that you just don't like it, what made you determine that the G-17 is "trash"? 

For me the G-17 is trash compared to the SIG 226 and the other guns that I have tried. It felt like I was holding a water pistol and the ergonomics was utter crap for my hands. Don’t mistake me on this, Glock have made a reliable light weight weapon that have saved the lives of several people, but I just can’t fathom why people swear by Glock when you have in my humbled opinion superior pistols.
You can give me 100 reasons why the Glock is the best pistol in the world but it still will be trash for me. Will I change my mind in the future? Might happen, but right now the Glock is not the pistol for me.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #49 on: August 31, 2010, 12:40:59 AM
I don't think Glock is trash, its a very reliable and easy to maintain and operate........ Yes to some people it looks ugly but to each his own  :D
Trash is such a harsh word  :P
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: August 31, 2010, 01:09:15 AM
I think trash is the wrong word. They work great so I can't say they're trash. When I think of guns that are trash I think of Jennings and Lorcins and crap like that.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: August 31, 2010, 02:00:55 AM
Ok, trash may be a little harsh word to use and I take it back, but that’s what basically popped into my head after the first clip. I tried the G-17 right after the 226 so it had a hard act to follow.

Offline sappyg

Reply #52 on: August 31, 2010, 02:39:20 AM
Ok, trash may be a little harsh word to use and I take it back, but that’s what basically popped into my head after the first clip. I tried the G-17 right after the 226 so it had a hard act to follow.

LOL... anything after a sig could be considered substandard... actually i like them both but the gun i settled on is a glock. i have others (and have had many others) but the glock meets my requirements. light, compact, heavey hitter... simple.
go for the sig and don't look back... you'll save a lot of money i the long run  ;)
i

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #53 on: August 31, 2010, 01:46:47 PM

:tu:  Trash is definitely the wrong word for a fine weapon like the G-17.

I just can’t fathom why people swear by Glock when you have in my humbled opinion superior pistols.

I tried to explain to you in an earlier reply that I don't swear by Glock for their "feel", by any means.  As a prior Sig 226 owner, I'm well aware of the differences between them in that area and tried to explain that here:

Being that I'm a Glock fan, you can tell that "smooth shooting" isn't at the very top of my priority list.  ;)  :D  I also carry a S&W 442 Airweight at times, so that further supports that argument.  :P  Reliability and engineering simplicity/quality are my main considerations, but that wouldn't necessarily be the case if I were buying just for the range, as Medic82 has mentioned he's doing.  The XD/XD-M or a DA/SA SIG would be fine choices for that, IMO.

A Glock is not about "feel".  It is about having an extremely dependable, durable weapon with parts that are easy to come by and replace myself if the need arises.  Pull every part out of it and rebuild it in 5 minutes with one tool--I would have to hire an amorer to do that with the Sig.  A Glock is not a gun that I would buy just for range use.  The Sig will definitely fit that bill better and keep me smiling all the way.

Glocks have been more dependable and reliable for me than my Sigs were.  That is what I look for in a tool that I use to defend my life.  That is not necessarily what I look for in a tool for the range.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:58:21 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 31, 2010, 11:33:17 PM

:tu:  Trash is definitely the wrong word for a fine weapon like the G-17.

I just can’t fathom why people swear by Glock when you have in my humbled opinion superior pistols.

I tried to explain to you in an earlier reply that I don't swear by Glock for their "feel", by any means.  As a prior Sig 226 owner, I'm well aware of the differences between them in that area and tried to explain that here:

Being that I'm a Glock fan, you can tell that "smooth shooting" isn't at the very top of my priority list.  ;)  :D  I also carry a S&W 442 Airweight at times, so that further supports that argument.  :P  Reliability and engineering simplicity/quality are my main considerations, but that wouldn't necessarily be the case if I were buying just for the range, as Medic82 has mentioned he's doing.  The XD/XD-M or a DA/SA SIG would be fine choices for that, IMO.

A Glock is not about "feel".  It is about having an extremely dependable, durable weapon with parts that are easy to come by and replace myself if the need arises.  Pull every part out of it and rebuild it in 5 minutes with one tool--I would have to hire an amorer to do that with the Sig.  A Glock is not a gun that I would buy just for range use.  The Sig will definitely fit that bill better and keep me smiling all the way.

Glocks have been more dependable and reliable for me than my Sigs were.  That is what I look for in a tool that I use to defend my life.  That is not necessarily what I look for in a tool for the range.

I probably should have re-read the answers since I had completely forgotten that you said that. The guy that I borrowed the 226 from had fired aprox 3000 rounds with the SIG and it haven’t clicked ones so his 226 is reliable as hell.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #55 on: September 01, 2010, 02:11:31 AM
I probably should have re-read the answers since I had completely forgotten that you said that. The guy that I borrowed the 226 from had fired aprox 3000 rounds with the SIG and it haven’t clicked ones so his 226 is reliable as hell.

Mine was very reliable too.  The only time I had an FTF was once, doing some tactical training in the mud (muddy mag).  I've been in the same conditions with Glocks many times since, and have never had a FTF in ~5000 rounds or so.

It's hard to base reliability on a single FTF, though....  so I guess I can't say with authority that the SIG is less reliable.
- Terry

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: September 01, 2010, 05:54:24 PM
My Makarov has been uber reliable, even with cheap crap Eastern bloc ammo. But saying a Mak is reliable is like saying the sun is bright, it's just a given.  :D :D :D

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: November 03, 2010, 08:28:23 PM
I have seen the light, I have found my gun and it’s a CZ-75 SP 01 Shadow. This just came out of the blue, was at the range and the guy next to me was shoting with a gun that looked cool so I asked him if I could try it. Yes he said and I LOVED the weight, LOVED how it felt in my hand, LOVED how the recoil was absorbed, it was pure and simple love at first sight. This was a gun that I never considered and it just came out of nowhere. So the SIG 226 will have to wait…..Now I just have to wait to hear from the police to get the green light so I can buy it.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #58 on: November 03, 2010, 10:29:11 PM
Nice, classic piece there mate :tu:

My uncle used to shoot a Taurus copy of a CZ75 before the pistol ban :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #59 on: November 04, 2010, 12:42:19 AM
my favorite handgun is still the good old 1911. It does everything I need.

the 1911 is still a great weapon after all these years. I wish Norinco still imported their 1911 models. a bit rough but cheap and reliable.

Same here..I have had one since 1991. No problems with it

Dtrain

PS
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68