Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kill a what?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Kill a what?
on: August 29, 2007, 02:00:01 AM
No, Kilowatt!

I just made a trade for one of these.  Sure it's ugly, but for some reason, that fascinates me!

Anyone got one?  What do you think of it if you do?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Kill a what?
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 02:06:10 AM
I was just checking on the SOG website. Apparently they made a production run of six thousand of these Kilowatt knives.....

....but so far they've only sold one.  ::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 02:12:37 AM
Maybe that's why the Multitool.org forum is listed first in the SOG Blog? :P

I bought the tool so they put us on top?   ;D

Def

* NumberOne.JPG (Filesize: 106.04 KB)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 02:16:13 AM by Defender »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 02:20:16 AM
Yay! Way to take one for the team Def!  :cheers:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 02:23:48 AM
I'm doing the Happy Dance, and it ain't pretty!

:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

Def

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 03:08:07 AM
I just ordered one of these yesterday.  Should be here by end of week of beginning of next.  Can't wait to put it into the field and test it out.  As a electrician, it should be a heavy duty test.  I'll see what it can handle. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 03:13:42 AM
As a guy who often gets electrocuted, I am looking forward to giving it a shot too!   O0

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 03:18:36 AM
I just ordered one of these yesterday.  Should be here by end of week of beginning of next.  Can't wait to put it into the field and test it out.  As a electrician, it should be a heavy duty test.  I'll see what it can handle. 

I'd like to hear how well it works out.

Of all the new SOG knives coming out, that one interested me the most.  I'm not an electrician, but sometimes something will need to be re-wired at work with minimal tools for small electronics (I should make a car kit specifically for electronic repairs..), those wire strippers look helpful, and I like the simple blade shape also.  How much are they going for?
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 03:33:51 AM
If you shove it into an outlet will it light up?

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 07:35:07 AM
What kind of price tag does that thing have?  I kind of dig it... (and I'm too lazy to search for a price)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 12:47:01 PM
I think the MSRP is around $70 but I have seen it in a few places for about $45-50.  I didn't look too hard though so you may find better prices somewhere if you dig.

And, if I stick it in an outlet, I am sure I will light up!

Def

Offline supratentorial

Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 01:34:10 PM
At $35-40, it seems like a good buy: http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&safe=off&q=Kilowatt+SOG&oe=UTF-8&scoring=p

I could do without the imprint of the outlet on the blade but it looks like a very useful tool.  SOG has some unusual stylings...  what's the deal with Fusion Muscle Car?   ::)  You may already know that I'm usually a big fan of SOG knives/tools, but even I think it's over the top.... I suppose that's the point but I'd say it's even over the top of over the top!   :P

http://sogknives.com/store/F05.html

"What is a theme knife? A distinct, recurring, and unifying quality or idea portrayed in a knife. We believe this is the first of its kind. High performance has always been a major theme at SOG so we are thrilled to introduce the Fusion Muscle Car knife and we hope you will give it the checkered flag. Notice in no specific order: the wheel that turns with the knife as well as a fan belt and pulley array. Exhaust pipe, racing stripes, hood latch thumbstud, spoilers, competition numbers, gear shifter clip, headlights, and license plate engraving are all fun reminders of the muscle car era of past and present. These attributes don't minimize the heavy-duty lockback construction and razor sharp blade. Use it without any risk of loosing your driver's license. No gas required."

* car.jpg (Filesize: 42.47 KB)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 01:45:34 PM by supratentorial »

us Offline Viking

Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 02:41:08 PM
Yeah, I could do without that cheesy picture of an outlet on the blade.  Maybe I'll stick it in a few outlets and see if I can burn it off.  ;D

I got mine for $38.50

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 02:54:16 PM
It still looks a bunch better than the NASCAR and Harley Knives from United Craplery.

At any rate, I've always been an advocate of "Pretty colors don't make a car run faster" so the outlet etching on the blade and printed circuit motif on the handle doesn't really sway me one way or the other.  If it works, and does the job well enough, I'll consider it a success.  I may not be a big fan of the looks of it, but then there have been a few knives and tools that I didn't like the looks of but found that I really liked the feel and function of them.

To me, that's the most important part.  If the most useful and comfortable tool I had was neon pink with a bright green floral print on it I'd carry it proudly.  Pretty is as pretty does.

Def

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 03:14:21 PM
Hmm... Yeah, I could also do without the receptical etching  ::) but it looks like a good complement to another multi that wouldn't have wirestrippers or OH knife. I'll be interested in hearing how it works out...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 03:43:13 PM
Some how I will manage to electrocute myself on that blade... I can see it coming!

I have a bunch of different gages and types of wire lying around so I'll give it a good workout anyway!

Def

Offline zackhugh

Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 09:07:10 PM
Cool.  Would like to hear how it performs.  I really wanted one of these the first time I saw it, but probably wouldn't use it much.  Sorta dampened my enthusiasm for getting one.  Maybe I'll go get some extra wire from somewhere to justify the purchase...

us Offline Viking

Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 02:39:40 AM
Just received my Kilowatt this past weekend.  It's going in my pocket for the upcoming work week. 

The pocket clip is kinda weird, but I'll get past it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 02:48:37 AM
Seems odd to me that an electrician's tool wouldn't have a screwdriver of some sort.   ???

Def

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 07:44:34 AM
It doesn't look like a (multi)tool at all, just a knife.

By the way, I just ordered my Trident.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 01:03:22 PM
Just a knife with several wire cutter and stripper holes.  Seems like one of the hybrid knife/multis that seem to be cropping up all over the place these days.

Def

us Offline Viking

Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 12:21:41 AM
Well, today was the first day I carried the Kilowatt for my EDC knife.  It was a little weird leaving the Kershaw Blur S30V at home.

First off, the Kilowatt seems a lot flimsier and cheaply made than the Blur.  The blade seems to wobble a bit and it feels like it could break if I test it too much.  But, it did perform well on the half dozen times I took it out today.  It did strip some wire and open some cardboard boxes.  It had a little trouble getting through a hard plastic strap that was wrapped around a cardboard box holding some light fixtures, but it got through. 

The best thing it did today was strip some Cat5e.  It went through it like butter.  One of my workers saw me using it and said ," You got another different knife?????"  I just smiled.  He was impressed on how easy it cut through the jacket on the Cat5e cable.   

I'll probably keep carrying it all this week and see how it lasts.  I do find myself missing my Blur on occasion.  I like the clip on the Kershaw's better, and of course the steel is better on the Blur. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 02:31:12 AM
I've got a few questions about this Kilowatt knife. (I apologize if they have already been asked and answered)

1) What is that device on the far end for?
2) How exactly does the stripper thingy work?
3) Do those holes serve any function?

* Kilowatt.jpg (Filesize: 37.94 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 02:33:49 AM
The thingee on the end is (I believe) a wire stripper.  There is a hinge at one end and it's for gripping the insulation so you can pull it off thicker wire.  The holes in the middle are for cutting the insulation- slide the wire in, close the knife and spin it around.  The grey comb thing is a regular plier type wire stripper that is hinged at one end as well.

At least that's my understanding of it now...

Def

us Offline Viking

Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 02:47:19 AM
Yep, Def is right.  The wire stripper (Question 2) actually works pretty good.  I stripped some #10 and #12 with it today and it worked fine.  Not as fast as a regular stripper, but fine in a pinch.

I haven't used the stripper on the end yet, but I would like to try and strip some RG6 coax with it and see how it does.

The holes in the middle work great for stripping Cat5e or equivalent.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 02:50:40 AM
It almost makes me want to become an electrition.

Almost.

Not a lot of fun things to do in a pump warehouse, now, if I worked in the pump warkshop, my multitool would be used more than Paris Hilton! :o
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 02:51:46 AM
Stick with the pipes- less of a chance of getting a fancy new hairdo!

O0

Def

us Offline Viking

Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 04:14:38 AM
That's why I keep my hair short. ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 01:27:05 PM
All this discussion has gotten me all a-tingle about getting this thing.  It seems to be growing on me!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 01:18:00 PM
It should have been here by now, but things always get messed up during a holiday, so hopefully today will be the day!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%