Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sheffield 17-in-1 Multitool

us Offline Cutlerynovice1

Sheffield 17-in-1 Multitool
on: October 20, 2011, 07:13:28 AM
Recently I was at Sears browsing the hardwear section admiring the Leathermans when I saw this little tool and got curious,the price seemed fair at $14.99 so I figured what the heck let's give it a shot,it seems similar to the Kobalt 15-in-1 multi-tool available at Lowes.

Sheath: The sheath is pretty decent for a $15.00 multi-tool,it uses a button snap as opposed to a velcro patch seen on most multi-tool sheaths

Compactness: The Sheffield is a bulky little sucker comparable to the Gerber Suspension and weighs in at 9.6 ounces (identical weight to the much larger SOG Powerlock) ,along with this it's also a thick multi-tool

Pliers: The pliers on the Sheffield aren't to bad,they match up precisely and the wire cutter is very effective as cutting wire and nails, additionally they're spring loaded,overall I like the pliers

Plain Edge Blade: The PE blade is decent for the cost but I have some issues with it,it's 2 1/2 inches long and made from 420J2 stainless steel,it's hollow ground and has a fair amount of belly, unfortunately it doesn't lock,not bad but could be better.

Serrated Blade: The SE blade is a disappointment to me,the teeth seem fragile but overall it does work very well on cardboard and paracord.

Wood Saw: The saw on the Sheffield is very decent,it's hollow ground,2 1/2 inches long and very sharp,again there's no lock but it snaps well.

File: The file is decent for the price point,it has both fine,coarse and notching capabilities,not bad.

The other tools consist of an array of flathead drivers,a phillipshead,can opener,cap lifter and awl,they all snap fairly well,the drivers work as well as any other MT's ,the can opener is very similar to the ones on a Victorinox Swiss Army knife and it comes pretty sharp,the cap lifter is also very similar to a Victorinox and again it works very well,the awl came fairly sharp and it penetrates leather pretty easily,all in all the tool set's pretty decent.

All in all if you need a decent MT and your very money strapped the Sheffield 17-in-1 Multi-Tool is a good choice. It's not a Leatherman or a Gerber but it's no Cheapo Chinese piece of crap.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Sheffield 17-in-1 Multitool
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 02:04:58 AM
Thanks for the pics and summary sir! :salute: Have you had much opportunity to test out some of the features yet? (file, saw, can opener, screwdrivers, etc?)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Cutlerynovice1

Re: Sheffield 17-in-1 Multitool
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:13:27 PM
Thanks for the pics and summary sir! :salute: Have you had much opportunity to test out some of the features yet? (file, saw, can opener, screwdrivers, etc?)

I've tested the can opener,cap lifter,saw and all the drivers,the drivers never slipped out of the screws but one of them folded ,the saw works fin and is superior to the saw on the Gerber Suspension,the can opener and cap lifter work the same as a Victorinox

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%