Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dreaming here.....84mm Compact 754

Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,967
Re: Dreaming here.....84mm Compact
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2021, 07:12:27 PM »
Yup, Golfer is basically an 84mm Compact.  Not easy to find these days sadly. 

The old Wenger Diplomat also does a lot of what you want and is more recently retired.  https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Diplomat&highlight=diplomat

The Ambassador is basically and oversized Classic.  :)

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,161

Nix us

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2021, 08:18:00 PM »

The old Wenger Diplomat also does a lot of what you want and is more recently retired.  https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Diplomat&highlight=diplomat

I love the Ambassador. True, an oversized Classic. But....what a difference there is between 58 and 74mm! 

I did a quick Ebay search: no reasonable results for the Vic Golfer.

I'm disappointed that Vic has stopped supporting the 74 and 85mm line of tools.

heterodox, not in the box
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2021, 09:03:52 PM »
Oh, I'm a massive fan of the Ambassador as well.  Much more useful as a knife and slightly bigger pair of scissors is a win in my book.

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...

Nix us

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2021, 10:22:54 PM »
 :iagree:

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,622 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2021, 11:08:49 PM »

That's my Diplomat in that wiki page :D I should give it some more love and carry it sometimes.
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2021, 11:32:10 PM »
That's my Diplomat in that wiki page :D I should give it some more love and carry it sometimes.

...and mine is the second photo on the wiki.  :D Really is a nice SAK.  Basically a Classic tool set but with a 85mm frame.

No Life Club Posts: 2,317
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2021, 11:47:45 PM »
This is a great question Nix. Especially for those of us who have a tendency to carry more layers.

Main thing I’d want to add for a long hike is the wood saw. Some saw at the very least. And I’m often okay with the metal saw outdoors, even if that’s not the preferred option.

But if I were bent on carrying the minimal weight, I’d dump the scissors and subsequently the hook. I love scissors, but in reality, there is little that couldn’t be dealt with by either the blade or saw of either type.

My absolute minimum could be an 84mm serrated main and a modified in-line awl. Could be alox scaled to ditch both T&T or mixed to keep the tweezers.

Maximum considering most of your input plus the saw would be an 84mm, with Combo Tool in the main blade slot, Small blade or hawksbill in the typical spot. Backside awl in the Corkscrew slot. Shave the backspring and awl and ditch all the nickel silver spacers otherwise needed for that layer. (Or use opener layer backspring and ~0.5mm spacers on the topside) Woodsaw with modified 91mm backspring for the chisel. Scissors with a modified backspring for the hook.

Or do the same with a 91mm to save most of the backspring mods.

Add some decorative file work to reduce weight further. Maybe liberal use of carbide drillbits for misc. weight reduction where possible.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 12:07:21 AM by kamakiri »

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,353
Dreaming here.....84mm Compact
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2021, 12:40:06 AM »
This thread got me thinking.  The SwissBuck Advantage / Sidekick has the tools you mention in three layers vice 2.  But it is as hard to find as an 84mm Golfer.

Nix us

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2021, 03:22:06 AM »
If you haven't heard of Andrew Skurka, he is a well-known long distance hiker with several long solo trips in remote places. I just googled his name and "pocket knife" and found this Vic endorsement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzvF6X5WgtA

In the video he mentions a 'Tinker', but I've seen a presentation by him where the knife in his gear (first aid kit) is a Classic. 

My personal hiking hero, Colin Fletcher, wrote that he used a 'Tinker' during his treks. The text and illustration makes it clear that he is referring to a Super Tinker. However, he notes that when he (temporarily) lost his 'Tinker', he replaced it with a....wait for it....Vic Classic.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 03:38:10 AM by Nix »

Nix us

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2021, 03:25:01 AM »
This thread got me thinking.  The SwissBuck Advantage / Sidekick has the tools you mention in three layers vice 2.  But it is as hard to find as an 84mm Golfer.

Why.....?   Whyyyyyyyyy?    :poh:

Why is it that so many good ideas, e.g. Compact small with awl or 84mm Golfer, never make it to market or don't thrive?  Why is the Classic SD the all-time best selling SAK, but the Ambassador has gone the way of the Dodo?

Why haven't we seen a Cadet X? (That would be a great trekking knife, too!)

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,797
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2021, 05:19:00 PM »
If you haven't heard of Andrew Skurka, he is a well-known long distance hiker with several long solo trips in remote places. I just googled his name and "pocket knife" and found this Vic endorsement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzvF6X5WgtA

In the video he mentions a 'Tinker', but I've seen a presentation by him where the knife in his gear (first aid kit) is a Classic. 

My personal hiking hero, Colin Fletcher, wrote that he used a 'Tinker' during his treks. The text and illustration makes it clear that he is referring to a Super Tinker. However, he notes that when he (temporarily) lost his 'Tinker', he replaced it with a....wait for it....Vic Classic.

(Image removed from quote.)

I am a big fan of Skurka, and if anyone get a chance to watch his youtube videoes about thru hiking, it really is an eye opener.  I have no doubt he probably carries a Classic as his only knife on trip.  From a guy whom will count how many pieces of toilet paper should he carry and cutting short his toothbrush, I doubt he would carry a 84/91mm on his hikes.

As a knife/SAK enthusiast, I just can't see myself giving up the larger chassis just because of the slight weight penalty.

Join Daredevil Challenge in August and get Free magnets!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel

Nix us

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2021, 09:01:48 PM »
As a knife/SAK enthusiast, I just can't see myself giving up the larger chassis just because of the slight weight penalty.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,353
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2021, 09:42:46 PM »

:agree: I second.  With hiking like that everything is a compromise and I think I’d rather the bigger more capable Farmer X or other SAK over the weight savings.  I also am not skimping on TP!
No Life Club Posts: 2,330
« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:20:33 AM »
:agree: I second.  With hiking like that everything is a compromise and I think I’d rather the bigger more capable Farmer X or other SAK over the weight savings.  I also am not skimping on TP!
:iagree: I third :think: is that a thing :p

I’d feel naked in the bush with just a classic, hell I would in the city too for that matter

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD
25%