Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest SAK?

edap617 · 37510 · 2551531

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What's your latest SAK?
Reply #20940 on: November 03, 2016, 04:05:26 PM
Ho Hum........ So ideally I'd like the old grey mag and the newer file. So 2 Swisschamps then.  :facepalm:
Or just get a dirt cheap SAK with the newer file and put it on the Old Swisschamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20941 on: November 03, 2016, 04:07:40 PM
Ho Hum........ So ideally I'd like the old grey mag and the newer file. So 2 Swisschamps then.  :facepalm:
Or just get a dirt cheap SAK with the newer file and put it on the Old Swisschamp

:facepalm: Might be easier and cheaper.........
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #20942 on: November 03, 2016, 04:31:57 PM

:facepalm: Might be easier and cheaper.........
:cheers:

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #20943 on: November 03, 2016, 06:19:57 PM
These arrived :mail:

Three Classics with emblems of (top to bottom):
- bureau of land management
- fish & wildlife service
- national park service

And a Picnicker with UNHCR logo.

The Picnicker makes a nice set with the Midnite Manager with UNHCR logo I already had:

The three Classics make a nice set with the US Forest service Classic (although the Forest service is part of the Department of Agriculture, and the others are Department of the Interior):

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 06:25:00 PM by glenfiddich1983 »
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Aberdrew13

Reply #20944 on: November 03, 2016, 06:24:44 PM
Pioneer X just showed up....

If my text is in blue, read it with sarcasm.  That is how it's meant!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #20945 on: November 03, 2016, 07:02:42 PM

- national park service

The Picnicker makes a nice set with the Midnite Manager with UNHCR logo I already had:

The three Classics make a nice set with the US Forest service Classic (although the Forest service is part of the Department of Agriculture, and the others are Department of the Interior):

Very cool! I'd like some Dutch government issues, don't know if there are any.

Reply #20946 on: November 03, 2016, 07:17:24 PM

- national park service

Very cool! I'd like some Dutch government issues, don't know if there are any.

Not that I know of, except of course the 93mm alox KL and KM series, the 91mm blue KLU series and the 111mm green Interservice models.

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #20947 on: November 03, 2016, 07:30:20 PM
A nice old Hercules and an even nicer case.  Didn't "need" the Hercules as I have a Workchamp on my belt all the time, but I really liked the case.  Knife and case were purchased by the seller over in Germany in 1995 and the knife is an older model and doesn't have the long Phillips under the scissors.  Also still has a screw in the scissors.

The knife I will carry in my truck I think, the case will be my dress up case when I have to take my Workchamp to a formal ball or something.  😜    :cheers:

:like:  That is a very sweet looking sheath.

Thanks, it's really well made and the leather is certainly better than current ones.  Not sure it's a good thing to buy a knife so you can have the sheath it's in though...... :rofl:

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #20948 on: November 03, 2016, 07:32:17 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

- national park service

Wow glen........really nice, makes for an interesting collection.........  :tu:

Reply #20949 on: November 03, 2016, 07:36:31 PM

- national park service

Wow glen........really nice, makes for an interesting collection.........  :tu:

Thanks! :salute:

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #20950 on: November 03, 2016, 09:31:26 PM
Does the new clear plastic holder with glass mag have the longer or shorter philips opposite?

Did a comparison of the v1 vs v3 Magnifier and opposing in-line Phillips on a late 1970's Woodsman and a 2015 (2014 ??) Woodsman. Same layer tools were used on the Scientist, Explorer, Modeler, Champion, Swisschamp, etc., although the Scientist and possibly the Modeler may have been discontinued before the v2 and v3 magnifiers. As I understand it, the length change was made with the v2 magnifier.

Top to bottom:
  • v3 Magnifier and Phillips layer
  • v1 Magnifier and Phillips layer

Top to bottom:
  • v3 Magnifier opposing Phillips
  • v1 Magnifier opposing Phillips

Top to bottom:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Left to right:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Top to bottom:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Hope this helps some with a visual comparison. I didn't measure them with a calipers, and probably should have. Tried to minimize parallax and perspective distortions of size as much as possible. In fabricating custom SAKs you could mix the v1 magnifier with either Phillips, and the shorter (v2/v3) Phillips with any magnifier. However, you cannot mix the v2/v3 magnifier with the longer (v1 magnifier) Phillips.

John
(who just pulled the trigger today on a used v1 magnifier SwissChamp and have absolutely no clue why)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:38:17 PM by jalind »
John

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20951 on: November 03, 2016, 09:35:07 PM
Does the new clear plastic holder with glass mag have the longer or shorter philips opposite?

Did a comparison of the v1 vs v3 Magnifier and opposing in-line Phillips on a late 1970's Woodsman and a 2015 (2014 ??) Woodsman. Same layer tools were used on the Scientist, Explorer, Modeler, Champion, Swisschamp, etc., although the Scientist and possibly the Modeler may have been discontinued before the v2 and v3 magnifiers. As I understand it, the length change was made with the v2 magnifier.

Top to bottom:

Top to bottom:

Top to bottom:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Left to right:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Top to bottom:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Hope this helps some with a visual comparison. I didn't measure them with a calipers, and probably should have. Tried to minimize parallax and perspective distortions of size as much as possible.

John

Nice job John - you are a busy man!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #20952 on: November 03, 2016, 09:42:21 PM

Top to bottom:

Top to bottom:

Top to bottom:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Left to right:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Top to bottom:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Hope this helps some with a visual comparison. I didn't measure them with a calipers, and probably should have. Tried to minimize parallax and perspective distortions of size as much as possible.

John

Pulled the trigger on a used SwissChamp with v1 magnifier earlier today and have no clue why!  :think:  I've got two Scientist, an Explorer Plus, five Woodsman, and a Champion Plus. Not as if I need another SAK with in-line Phillips. It was bundled with a Manager Lite that had silvertech scales.

John

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #20953 on: November 03, 2016, 10:06:15 PM

- national park service

Nice score!   :cheers:

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #20954 on: November 03, 2016, 10:52:14 PM
CONGRATS on the snags , T14 , Glen x4 , & Aberdrew  :like: :like: :like:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #20955 on: November 03, 2016, 11:13:00 PM

Top to bottom:

Top to bottom:

Top to bottom:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Left to right:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Top to bottom:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

John

Pulled the trigger on a used SwissChamp with v1 magnifier earlier today and have no clue why!  :think:  I've got two Scientist, an Explorer Plus, five Woodsman, and a Champion Plus. Not as if I need another SAK with in-line Phillips. It was bundled with a Manager Lite that had silvertech scales.

John

It's the extra magnifier you needed (subconsciously).....can't ever have too many magnifiers.  😜           :tu:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #20956 on: November 04, 2016, 12:06:30 AM

Top to bottom:

Top to bottom:

Top to bottom:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Left to right:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

Top to bottom:
  • v3 Magnifier
  • v1 Magnifier

John

John

It's the extra magnifier you needed (subconsciously).....can't ever have too many magnifiers.  😜           :tu:

There was one other intriguing thing about it. Has the v1 magnifier and longer Phillips, but all of the post-1991 newer tools, including all five of the back layer tools, sewing eye in the awl, keyring on the opener layer spring and v1 of the mini-driver in the corkscrew (the round one). From the very good photos, it looks to be in superb condition and extremely clean.

Just realized that with the v1 magnifier and long Phillips it technically qualifies for use in the Discontinued Challenge although I'm as yet undecided about using it for the challenge as I've got plenty of completely discontinued SAKs to use.

John
(who needs a belt pouch for it now)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 12:09:10 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #20957 on: November 04, 2016, 12:17:02 AM

There was one other intriguing thing about it. Has the v1 magnifier and longer Phillips, but all of the post-1991 newer tools, including all five of the back layer tools, sewing eye in the awl, keyring on the opener layer spring and v1 of the mini-driver in the corkscrew (the round one).

My SwissChamp has all the back tools, rivet scissors, round "pat." mini screwdriver, keyring on opener spring, sewing eye, gray mag and long phillips, case-hardened metal file. I got it in the sealed blister pack and it was dated 2007.  I think it may have been actually assembled in 2006.

So basically, older mag/phillips, older mini screwdriver, older metal file, new everything else.

We must of course collect ALL VARIATIONS of the SwissChamp so great snag!
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #20958 on: November 04, 2016, 12:35:15 AM

We must of course collect ALL VARIATIONS of the SwissChamp so great snag!

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Thanks

John

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #20959 on: November 04, 2016, 01:52:57 AM
No big deal  :whistle:

My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #20960 on: November 04, 2016, 03:15:05 AM

sheesh... that haul would cover most of my bills for the month!

I'd love to see a BO Pioneer X someday.

As for me here's some "wonderful" pictures from the latest fleabay snag.  Some of the most useless photos as far as determining condition, but got'em for $16 shipped so...not the end of the world.

I've been into the 100mm knives these days. Kind of less talked about here. I'm hoping that's a Passenger there, but probably an Explorer...As for the Spartan, it says "USS RANGER CV61".

So I looked her up...kinda sad, they started scraping her last year...appeared in Star Trek 4 ("Niewklear wwwwessals") ("a double dumbass on you") and Top Gun, had a lengthy career.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ranger_(CV-61)

I'm hoping that's a metal inlay but who knows. Guessing this was probably given out at some function held aboard the ship but perhaps some of the Sailors or militaria collectors here would know.

Condition is probably rough but might clean up.

111.jpg
* 111.jpg (Filesize: 110.57 KB)
222.jpg
* 222.jpg (Filesize: 120.01 KB)
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #20961 on: November 04, 2016, 06:54:11 AM
There was one other intriguing thing about it. Has the v1 magnifier and longer Phillips, but all of the post-1991 newer tools, including all five of the back layer tools, sewing eye in the awl, keyring on the opener layer spring and v1 of the mini-driver in the corkscrew (the round one). From the very good photos, it looks to be in superb condition and extremely clean.

Why is this intriguing John?
Nice - yes, interesting - yes, good find etc - But where is the intrigue/mystery ???

This configuration would have been around for 14 or so years from '91 to '04/5
What's to look out for on your Champ is: Riveted or screwed scissor joint; Crimper on pliers or not; Locking nub on bottle opener or not 

James your Champ does sound interesting you say it is date marked 2007 - Maybe packaged in 2006 - Yet Vic say the mag glass went plastic in 2004!!

PS. Love the mag glass shots above JL - Thanks for that. :tu:
As far as I know - and can eyeball !! - the V2 (all plastic) and V3 (glass lens) are pretty much indistinguishable from each other - I think we only found out here that there even was a glass lens when Syph accidentally popped one out when doing a mod a couple of years ago!!

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #20962 on: November 04, 2016, 07:03:07 AM
CONGRATS on the AWESOME snags , MWDP , & James  :ahhh 8) :like:

:mail:  :ahhh
Thought it was a old super tinker, but seller pix didn't show ........ it comes with a Back Scratcher!  :woohoo:
Ends up , I swooped n' scooped up a old Hoffritz / Victoria stamped FISHERMAN.  8) :climber:
DSCN8327.JPG
* DSCN8327.JPG (Filesize: 200.48 KB)
DSCN8328.JPG
* DSCN8328.JPG (Filesize: 191.24 KB)
DSCN8329.JPG
* DSCN8329.JPG (Filesize: 192.24 KB)
DSCN8326.JPG
* DSCN8326.JPG (Filesize: 200.27 KB)
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #20963 on: November 04, 2016, 12:55:41 PM

Why is this intriguing John?
Nice - yes, interesting - yes, good find etc - But where is the intrigue/mystery ???

This configuration would have been around for 14 or so years from '91 to '04/5
What's to look out for on your Champ is: Riveted or screwed scissor joint; Crimper on pliers or not; Locking nub on bottle opener or not 

James your Champ does sound interesting you say it is date marked 2007 - Maybe packaged in 2006 - Yet Vic say the mag glass went plastic in 2004!!

PS. Love the mag glass shots above JL - Thanks for that. :tu:
As far as I know - and can eyeball !! - the V2 (all plastic) and V3 (glass lens) are pretty much indistinguishable from each other - I think we only found out here that there even was a glass lens when Syph accidentally popped one out when doing a mod a couple of years ago!!

I had not expected to find the v1 mag to have been used for that long but had not looked at the mag version implementation dates. I've always looked at other clues such as the awl eye, keyring location, scissors spring follower groove, scissors screw, etc.

Regarding tool changes for dating a specific knife I would expect Victorinox to have made them as "running" changes, building out all existing stock of old parts before using a new version, holding back some for the predicted repair stock needed for a given number of years (sometimes called a "lifetime" stock, or build). If a stash of prior version parts was discovered very shortly after that they would probably use them provided there wasn't a dependency on other parts versions (e.g. the Phillips length and magnifier version). Compound this with making production runs of specific models; i.e. I seriously doubt they're not building SwissChamps every day, or even every week, or every month. Agile manufacturing can do model changeovers very quickly, with great accuracy (i.e. without error), but it's not something to be done just because you can. I don't believe Victorinox concerns themselves with a tight configuration control in the months surrounding a version change beyond parts form and fit compatibility. Nor do I believe they concern themselves much, if at all, with age of existing retailer stock.

Regarding when someone bought a knife, store shelf stock age can, at times, be substantial. The Champion (Plus) was discontinued as far as I can tell, prior to 2015 as it's not in the 2015 or 2016 catalogs, and did not find it looking through a complete 2014 catalog just now. It's still readily available new from retailers.

John

Reply #20964 on: November 04, 2016, 01:03:36 PM

sheesh... that haul would cover most of my bills for the month!

I'd love to see a BO Pioneer X someday.

As for me here's some "wonderful" pictures from the latest fleabay snag.  Some of the most useless photos as far as determining condition, but got'em for $16 shipped so...not the end of the world.

I've been into the 100mm knives these days. Kind of less talked about here. I'm hoping that's a Passenger there, but probably an Explorer...As for the Spartan, it says "USS RANGER CV61".

So I looked her up...kinda sad, they started scraping her last year...appeared in Star Trek 4 ("Niewklear wwwwessals") ("a double dumbass on you") and Top Gun, had a lengthy career.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ranger_(CV-61)

I'm hoping that's a metal inlay but who knows. Guessing this was probably given out at some function held aboard the ship but perhaps some of the Sailors or militaria collectors here would know.

Condition is probably rough but might clean up.

Congrats, I was also watching this one on eBay, but didn't bid on it because the seller didn't ship international and using a freight forwarder for it would have made it too expensive for me :)

^-- where the cat sits

Reply #20965 on: November 04, 2016, 01:04:18 PM

Thought it was a old super tinker, but seller pix didn't show ........ it comes with a Back Scratcher!  :woohoo:
Ends up , I swooped n' scooped up a old Hoffritz / Victoria stamped FISHERMAN.  8) :climber:

:like:

^-- where the cat sits

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #20966 on: November 04, 2016, 04:42:39 PM
JAKARTA or BUST!!!
WOW sounds like a BLAST!  :D 8)
link:

Can you buy stuff there?? or just snap up free give-away loot from the individual vendors? ???
Can definitely buy stuff, at the Victorinox booth at least... Not too sure about the military hardware though... :facepalm:

I hear various soldier knives are on display including the US Combat Utility Knife... ah ah ah

Wondering what the US Combat Utility Knife is . . .

John
Here you go... it is not the official knife, but is said to be available for purchase by desiring troops...

Thanks. This is interesting. I may call them tomorrow and ask to buy one from them, just to see what they say. If you go there and see one "in the flesh" take some photos . . . I'd like to see one. Be certain to ask them how you can buy one!

This poster is being used to market them to U.S. Government agencies and this is fairly common with all manner of stuff folks would like to sell to the U.S. Government. "Available through DLA" means a government agency that wants some quantity of these would have to request DLA (Defense Logistics Agency) to do a procurement of them on their behalf . . . and the agency desiring them would have to cough up the money to pay for it from an appropriate (i.e. legal) place in their budget that's authorized (by Congressional appropriation or agency allocation from an appropriation) for buying these kinds of items.

John
Will definitely do... AUSA also sells them I think...

As promised... Me, @classicrock and a couple of friends went to IndoDefence 2016 today... Managed to snap a few pics... apoligies for some dark pics...

Evolution of the Soldier Knife

Polish Police knife which is basically a rescue tool with the woodsaw added.

Various soldier knives of different countries including the US Combat Utility Knife

Close-up view of the 1891 and 1908 Soldier

As confirmed by Vic reps, the Combat Utility Knife is on limited contract sales.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 04:46:36 PM by jaya_man »

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #20967 on: November 04, 2016, 08:31:02 PM

Now you're cookin'........very nice, aluminum head on the tweezers and everything......looks like it's ready to use.   :tu:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #20968 on: November 04, 2016, 10:18:15 PM
Put a tiger in your tool box.  Wenger Commander for Esso (Exxon).

IMG_8170.JPG
* IMG_8170.JPG (Filesize: 118.25 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #20969 on: November 04, 2016, 10:32:38 PM
MWDP - No big deal!?   :ahhh  Great score!

jaya - thanks for the shots of the different military knives!   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD