Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest SAK?

edap617 · 37507 · 2550496

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: What's your latest SAK?
Reply #23190 on: April 03, 2017, 05:16:17 PM
That CIA wenger looks amazing, bet you anything there is a hidden tracker in it  >:D

Radioactive lint.

8)     :rofl:

Ok guys, now i'm actually scared a bit  :dwts:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23191 on: April 03, 2017, 06:02:33 PM
Picked this up thinking I wouldn't mind not having opening tools.  I'm still a bit undecided if I like it. 
IMG_2651.JPG
* IMG_2651.JPG (Filesize: 140.63 KB)
IMG_2652.JPG
* IMG_2652.JPG (Filesize: 159.73 KB)
IMG_2653.JPG
* IMG_2653.JPG (Filesize: 161.94 KB)
IMG_2654.JPG
* IMG_2654.JPG (Filesize: 169.58 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #23192 on: April 03, 2017, 06:14:44 PM
Picked this up thinking I wouldn't mind not having opening tools.  I'm still a bit undecided if I like it.

I'd like to here what you think about it after you use it for awhile? I've always wondered if the second OHO blade makes it uncomfortable to use especially when using it for longer periods of time.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23193 on: April 03, 2017, 06:28:31 PM
Just fiddling with it I do find the hump for the second blade in the way.  I try to settle it between my pinky finger and ring finger but its still very noticeable.  The space on the PE blade just before the sharpening notch is decent enough to allow more forward of a grip without your hand coming too close to the blades cutting edge.  Not so with the serrated blade. 

I havent used it just yet but what I will say is I cannot imagine over extended use the hump on the second blade ( either one ) not being a hot spot. 

I cannot yet find a comfy grip when using the saw.  My hand contacts both humps and I havent yet found a comfy spot.  The serrated blade hump hits my ring finger dead center.  The PE hump is nested between my forefinger and middle finger which isn't terrible.   

Please understand that I haven't yet used it in any capacity its just my initial hand feel thoughts. 

I only have one other VIctorinox OHO knife, Rescue tool.  That knife is comfortable when all tools are opened.  Not having the second hump allows my hand to settle into a space that works on the handle. 

I hope I made some sense. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #23194 on: April 03, 2017, 06:38:37 PM
Thanks Aloha that's what I figured.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #23195 on: April 03, 2017, 06:45:06 PM
Two new ones. I saw so many raves about the Compact and Mini Champ, that I bit the bullet and got them. I'll be giving them pocket time for a few days to see how handy they are.

:like:

Congratulations on these acquisitions!  I have to admit that I still feel the draw of the alox minichamp even though I have two regular minichamps with more functionality.  The alox minichamp brings the alox mystique!

:cheers:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #23196 on: April 03, 2017, 06:49:52 PM
Still smiling over my acquisitions of the last few days (SuperTimer, Yeoman, 2 additional Swiss Champs and yet another Explorer) and want to acknowledge the congratulations and well wishing from my buds on this forum.  It's great how we help each other celebrate and enjoy our latest acquisitions!

:mail:

:climber:

Reply #23197 on: April 03, 2017, 06:51:47 PM
Just fiddling with it I do find the hump for the second blade in the way.  I try to settle it between my pinky finger and ring finger but its still very noticeable.  The space on the PE blade just before the sharpening notch is decent enough to allow more forward of a grip without your hand coming too close to the blades cutting edge.  Not so with the serrated blade. 

I havent used it just yet but what I will say is I cannot imagine over extended use the hump on the second blade ( either one ) not being a hot spot. 

I cannot yet find a comfy grip when using the saw.  My hand contacts both humps and I havent yet found a comfy spot.  The serrated blade hump hits my ring finger dead center.  The PE hump is nested between my forefinger and middle finger which isn't terrible.   

Please understand that I haven't yet used it in any capacity its just my initial hand feel thoughts. 

I only have one other VIctorinox OHO knife, Rescue tool.  That knife is comfortable when all tools are opened.  Not having the second hump allows my hand to settle into a space that works on the handle. 

I hope I made some sense. 

Always nice to read ones observations! :tu:

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #23198 on: April 03, 2017, 06:52:17 PM

Great catch!
[/quote]

Nice score!   :cheers:
The quest for my birth year Soldier ended today.    Someone bid me up pretty good in the last five seconds in true eBay profi form but I was determined on this one so I put down a formidable bid.  :duel:   I even had the seller confirm the year as well as no bends, chips, or any other hidden secrets.   I am stoked :ahhh       and now you guys know how old I am too if math is your thing...  Americans, don't worry about it, I'll do the math for you, I'm 25     :D

Congrats El C!!!  :cheers:

Well done!!!

:jedi:

Thanks everybody!  I feel like I'm pretty close to saving the princess now. :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:53:29 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Danjo

Reply #23199 on: April 03, 2017, 06:54:04 PM
Two new ones. I saw so many raves about the Compact and Mini Champ, that I bit the bullet and got them. I'll be giving them pocket time for a few days to see how handy they are.

Congratulations on these acquisitions!  I have to admit that I still feel the draw of the alox minichamp even though I have two regular minichamps with more functionality.  The alox minichamp brings the alox mystique!

Thanks. I went with alox for durability and because I always carry other SAKs with toothpicks and tweezers, as well as the "mystique" look aspect of them. The Compact is my more questionable purchase. I'll see what it brings to the table that my others don't.
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23200 on: April 03, 2017, 06:57:52 PM
Thanks Aloha that's what I figured.

:tu:

There have been some positive reviews from those that actually used it so it just my 2c.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #23201 on: April 03, 2017, 07:08:50 PM

Thanks. I went with alox for durability and because I always carry other SAKs with toothpicks and tweezers, as well as the "mystique" look aspect of them. The Compact is my more questionable purchase. I'll see what it brings to the table that my others don't.

I predict that you will enjoy the Compact.  I find it to be THE MOST practical SAK for urban EDC.  I'm on a bit of an Alox kick at the moment but I'll never turn my back on the Compact.  So much utility in such a "Compact" 2 layer package.  Another thing I like about the Compact is it stands alone pretty darn well without the aid of a key chain SAK.   :tu: :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:10:35 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #23202 on: April 03, 2017, 07:18:48 PM

The Compact features what I consider some key and essential tools.  My nostalgic recollection of my grandfather's practice of carrying and using a folding knife for every day tasks eventually had me swapping a small utility blade for a SAK Tinker for opening packages.  My reliance on scissors saw my EDC change to the Super Tinker.  The Compact allowed me to move back to two layers and still retain the scissors.  Unfortunately, it meant losing the Philips.  Later, after experiencing the usefulness of the magnifier and inline Philips, I solidified my attachment to the Explorer as my favorite SAK.  Even though the Explorer is my SAK of choice, I still retain a high regard for the Compact and will keep the four Compacts that I have already purchased.  I think that the Compact punches above it weight by including a scissors with the blade and combo tool and by featuring a pen with tweezers and pick.  I hope that you new Compact can provide you with years of enjoyment and utility!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:20:19 PM by NorCalJim »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #23203 on: April 03, 2017, 07:23:11 PM
...I think that the Compact punches above it weight by including a scissors with the blade and combo tool and by featuring a pen with tweezers and pick.  I hope that you new Compact can provide you with years of enjoyment and utility!

Exactly.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:25:25 PM by El Corkscrew »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #23204 on: April 03, 2017, 10:44:55 PM
Can anyone help me ID this?  What year did they start putting the engraving plate on the back???

s-l1600 (1).jpg
* s-l1600 (1).jpg (Filesize: 255.95 KB)
s-l1600.jpg
* s-l1600.jpg (Filesize: 248.87 KB)
s-l1600 (2).jpg
* s-l1600 (2).jpg (Filesize: 112.77 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #23205 on: April 03, 2017, 11:01:23 PM
Dutch Air Force Master Craftsman. It differs from the Dutch Navy Master Craftsman in having three more tools on the back side, like one of the later versions of the Space Shuttle. Also cellidor rather than aluminum grips.

IMG_8429.JPG
* IMG_8429.JPG (Filesize: 57.56 KB)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:03:50 PM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #23206 on: April 04, 2017, 01:42:50 AM
Dutch Air Force Master Craftsman. It differs from the Dutch Navy Master Craftsman in having three more tools on the back side, like one of the later versions of the Space Shuttle. Also cellidor rather than aluminum grips.

:cheers: :cheers: Nice one Karl!!!!  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #23207 on: April 04, 2017, 06:04:29 AM

I'd like to here what you think about it after you use it for awhile? I've always wondered if the second OHO blade makes it uncomfortable to use especially when using it for longer periods of time.

I've had one for a few years now (with a corkscrew instead of the Phillips), I don't like the "eyes" sticking out. I still prefer the Fireman which IMO has better ergonomics with the same tools (and openers too).  Somewhat smaller, the alox Carver SW also has the "same" three main tools.. This one's my current EDC.
DSC03586-dualpro-soldier09-hunterxt.jpg
* DSC03586-dualpro-soldier09-hunterxt.jpg (Filesize: 394.77 KB)
DSC03579-fireman.jpg
* DSC03579-fireman.jpg (Filesize: 397.11 KB)
DSC04543-carver-sw.jpg
* DSC04543-carver-sw.jpg (Filesize: 284.79 KB)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:17:00 AM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #23208 on: April 04, 2017, 06:15:30 AM
Inbound, a Scientist!  There is something about the magnifier SAKs that I find hard to resist!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #23209 on: April 04, 2017, 06:49:13 AM

I've had one for a few years now (with a corkscrew instead of the Phillips), I don't like the "eyes" sticking out. I still prefer the Fireman which IMO has better ergonomics with the same tools (and openers too).  Somewhat smaller, the alox Carver SW also has the "same" three main tools.. This one's my current EDC.
Now this got me thinking and relook at my 111mm mod plans... Originally wanted to add a wood saw to a Dual Pro X. Might as well convert a Fireman into an OH... and possibly add a scissors layer...

Will also have to look whether the sentinel liner lock can work with the serrated blade.. :think:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #23210 on: April 04, 2017, 08:17:24 AM

Nice one! I know who you probably bought it from  :D

I myself have one with white 'rounded' characters:

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #23211 on: April 04, 2017, 08:50:50 AM

:multi: COOL COMBO  :cheers:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

• No Life Club
Reply #23212 on: April 04, 2017, 08:53:25 AM
NICE snag! Dig that Orange!  8)
+1 on let us know how ya like it , with more use.  :salute: :tu: :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #23213 on: April 04, 2017, 08:55:44 AM
Still smiling over my acquisitions of the last few days (SuperTimer, Yeoman, 2 additional Swiss Champs and yet another Explorer) and want to acknowledge the congratulations and well wishing from my buds on this forum.  It's great how we help each other celebrate and enjoy our latest acquisitions!

:climber:

You been knockin it out of the park ....... KEEP EM COMIN' BRUTHA! :ahhh :ahhh 8) :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #23214 on: April 04, 2017, 08:57:36 AM
Can anyone help me ID this?  What year did they start putting the engraving plate on the back???
8) AWESOME SNAG, EL Cork-ster  :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #23215 on: April 04, 2017, 08:59:22 AM
:o AWE-MAZING!  8) :multi: 8) :multi:  :cheers: GREAT snag , Colo

Reply #23216 on: April 04, 2017, 09:07:43 AM
Inbound, a Scientist!  There is something about the magnifier SAKs that I find hard to resist!

Congrats! Great snag!  :cheers:

^-- where the cat sits

• No Life Club
Reply #23217 on: April 04, 2017, 09:08:33 AM
 :woohoo: wrangled this lot out of Da' Bay...... :whistle: Took 3 jars of Stink Bait and a "Waskilly Wizzer" runnin' a day old Chicken Gizzard Jiblet!  :ahhh

all are New , but no box
91mm Spartan
91mm Weekender
84mm Small Tinker
& A Cold Steel Ti-Lite - 7" closed & 13" open  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
DSCN2649.JPG
* DSCN2649.JPG (Filesize: 187.65 KB)
DSCN2651.JPG
* DSCN2651.JPG (Filesize: 192 KB)
DSCN2652.JPG
* DSCN2652.JPG (Filesize: 190.3 KB)
DSCN2657.JPG
* DSCN2657.JPG (Filesize: 192.56 KB)

Reply #23218 on: April 04, 2017, 09:10:30 AM
 :woohoo: wrangled this lot out of Da' Bay...... :whistle: Took 3 jars of Stink Bait and a "Waskilly Wizzer" runnin' a day old Chicken Gizzard Jiblet!  :ahhh

all are New , but no box
91mm Spartan
91mm Weekender
84mm Small Tinker
& A Cold Steel Ti-Lite - 7" closed & 13" open  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Great haul! Love that weekender! :cheers:

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #23219 on: April 04, 2017, 09:11:10 AM
8) AWESOME SNAG, EL Cork-ster  :cheers:

:cheers: Thanks CSA, I'm pretty happy about it.  There's a bit of a sea change happening in my collection right now, moving out a bunch of cellidor saks that I'm not attached to and bringing in some HEAVY METAL!  >:D :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%