Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest SAK?

edap617 · 37509 · 2551052

00 Offline SgtTowser

Re: What's your latest SAK?
Reply #35580 on: June 24, 2021, 04:05:57 AM
Went to the Surplus Store and bought a Canary Yellow Floral, a Tomo, and a Hoffritz Classic for $5.00.

Now THAT’s a surplus store!! I need one to open near me. Do they have an online store ?

Really like that bright yellow.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #35581 on: June 24, 2021, 04:09:42 AM
NIB Tradesman 111mm - my new expedition knife.

U r going 2 luuuuuuuuv that 111 Tradesman.

My son has absconded with the Work Champ I used to borrow from him all the time.  :rant:

us Offline Scubadawg1

Reply #35582 on: June 24, 2021, 04:25:27 AM
Now THAT’s a surplus store!! I need one to open near me. Do they have an online store ?

Really like that bright yellow.

It’s the State Surplus store and it sells items confiscated at Texas airports. They have an online auction but I don’t think knives are included. They sell SAKs up to 4 layers for $3.00 and most 58mm for $1.00. Most are in pretty rough shape but there are few good finds.  Here is their link  http://www.tfc.state.tx.us/divisions/supportserv/prog/statesurplus/

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #35583 on: June 25, 2021, 04:23:34 AM
It’s the State Surplus store and it sells items confiscated at Texas airports. They have an online auction but I don’t think knives are included. They sell SAKs up to 4 layers for $3.00 and most 58mm for $1.00. Most are in pretty rough shape but there are few good finds.  Here is their link  http://www.tfc.state.tx.us/divisions/supportserv/prog/statesurplus/

The eyes of me are now on Texas! Thanks for the link.

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #35584 on: July 01, 2021, 12:50:41 PM
Climber, Explorer and a Soldier.

I ordered these from another UK seller, in February, but received nothing and got no response to any contact. After putting a claim in through the bank I've ordered them from elsewhere and finally got them. Minus the green scales I wanted for the Explorer and Climber, but I can live with what I've got!

Practicing with the Soldier's OHO will be a good fidget toy during meetings, too...
We have the tools, we have the talent!

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35585 on: July 01, 2021, 01:03:41 PM

I ordered these from another UK seller, in February, but received nothing and got no response to any contact. After putting a claim in through the bank I've ordered them from elsewhere and finally got them. Minus the green scales I wanted for the Explorer and Climber, but I can live with what I've got!

Practicing with the Soldier's OHO will be a good fidget toy during meetings, too...

An excellent selection Michael glad you got them eventually :like:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #35586 on: July 01, 2021, 02:17:41 PM
 :iagree: most annoying when things go AWOL…. :poh:

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #35587 on: July 01, 2021, 02:22:55 PM
An excellent selection Michael glad you got them eventually :like:

Cheers. :) Originally the Climber was going to replace my Spartan as my "stays in the house downstairs" knife due to the scissors, with the Explorer for out and about. Now I've got said Climber though, I'm tempted to carry it out...

:iagree: most annoying when things go AWOL…. :poh:

Definitely. I wouldn't have minded as much if I'd had any response to messages.
We have the tools, we have the talent!

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #35588 on: July 01, 2021, 04:09:35 PM
Not sure if this is called a Victorinox Pharmacy Knife or Cut and Pick- Thought this would be a good lightweight 58mm for the keychain

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #35589 on: July 01, 2021, 06:32:06 PM
Victorinox Delemont Evolution S557

Ordered it off eBay last week and it arrived today.

I've been intrigued by the slip-joint pliers and wrench since I read about them so am excited to be able to get one to try out.

The 85mm size is interesting as well.

I've been thinking about getting one of the 557's simply because I want to try out one with the Wenger scissors and pliers.  The only ones that meets the requirements are the 557, with the multiwrench and one with a saw.  Not even considering the tool chest model, so the 557 is the baseline, for my search.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #35590 on: July 01, 2021, 07:41:50 PM
I've been thinking about getting one of the 557's simply because I want to try out one with the Wenger scissors and pliers.  The only ones that meets the requirements are the 557, with the multiwrench and one with a saw.  Not even considering the tool chest model, so the 557 is the baseline, for my search.
If you aren't in a rush, PitCarver, you might wait until after August. I've signed up for the Daredevil Challenge and am entering with the S557. I want to see if I can grow to like it.

Though I was intrigued with the slip-joint pliers and the wrench when I read about them, I haven't been impressed so far. The pliers are very fiddly compared with the standard Victorinox pliers. The wrench being in the center of a 5-layer SAK limits its ability to hold things that are nearly flush. Both the wrench and the (very short) inline Phillips are thumbnail-breaking tight to open. I've had mixed luck with the serrated scissors cutting cleanly through things.

I like the nail file though.   :)

So it you can wait until after I'm forced to use it for a month, I can give you an updated review.   :D
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #35591 on: July 02, 2021, 02:03:49 AM
PitCarver, a few things I can pass on now to help you consider this SAK:
- I'm guessing you already know that it has a locking main blade. Note that the lock release is kind of sharp and sticks out. Not an issue with using the SAK, but is an issue sliding it out of a tight belt sheath.
- I'm also guessing you already know that the nail file takes the place of the small blade found on other SAKs, so it has just one blade total.
- Only the corkscrew and reamer with sewing eye for backside tools. No slot for a straight pin.
- None of the tools have a 90 degree stop position, if that makes a difference to you. They're either fully closed or fully open.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #35592 on: July 02, 2021, 02:51:55 AM
Thanks, SteveP.
I'm not in a rush.  I've got a Wenger, that was given to me, I think it's the Tool Kit, or something.  WAY to big to be useful.  Don't need/want a compass, saw, fish scaler, etc.
Has the same locking mechanism.
I'll be looking forward to your impressions.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #35593 on: July 02, 2021, 09:31:19 PM
Hi PitCarver,

I have a Victorinox EvoWood S557 anf it's most unloved. In summary:

- Locking blade unnecessary for a small SAK, and the lever is an annoying hotspot
- Short file is only good for manicure touch-ups - would rather see a small blade there
- Slip-joint pliers are a fiddle, and the legacy Wenger bobbing when used is annoying when trying to grab something with the tips
- Inline Phillips is a nail-breaker to deploy, and too short (redeeming feature is that it's central in the layers)
- Wrench is a fancy spacer opposite the Phillips. Completely useless, even Nikos Doulas NikGyver could not find a use for it
- Scissor are the Wenger bobbing type that I cannot get used to, but the serrated edge holds up better than Victorinox - just wish they would split the backspring to stop the bobbing
- Press-locking flat driver on cap lifter probably the only tool I'd rate ahead of Vic, as this does increase security in use, although no 90 deg stop
- Tin Opener same as Vic.
- Almost forgot the generous number of backtools...a spartan awl and CS

I have the Vic S54 (Tool chest) too - and ditto for all the tools listed above (yes - 10 layers and 2 back tools), plus the Christmas cracker compass, contact lens mag/driver and scaler that does not even have ruler markings, although the file and saw are excellent.

These are the only two 85mm SAKs that I have - If you lived around the corner, you could have both.  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #35594 on: July 03, 2021, 12:42:08 AM
Hi PitCarver,

I have a Victorinox EvoWood S557 anf it's most unloved. In summary:

- Locking blade unnecessary for a small SAK, and the lever is an annoying hotspot
- Short file is only good for manicure touch-ups - would rather see a small blade there
- Slip-joint pliers are a fiddle, and the legacy Wenger bobbing when used is annoying when trying to grab something with the tips
- Inline Phillips is a nail-breaker to deploy, and too short (redeeming feature is that it's central in the layers)
- Wrench is a fancy spacer opposite the Phillips. Completely useless, even Nikos Doulas NikGyver could not find a use for it
- Scissor are the Wenger bobbing type that I cannot get used to, but the serrated edge holds up better than Victorinox - just wish they would split the backspring to stop the bobbing
- Press-locking flat driver on cap lifter probably the only tool I'd rate ahead of Vic, as this does increase security in use, although no 90 deg stop
- Tin Opener same as Vic.
- Almost forgot the generous number of backtools...a spartan awl and CS

I have the Vic S54 (Tool chest) too - and ditto for all the tools listed above (yes - 10 layers and 2 back tools), plus the Christmas cracker compass, contact lens mag/driver and scaler that does not even have ruler markings, although the file and saw are excellent.

These are the only two 85mm SAKs that I have - If you lived around the corner, you could have both.  :cheers:
Max, sounds like you need to join me with your S557 in the Daredevil Challenge next month.   :pok:

At least it's not just me who's less than enthused about this SAK.
SAKs:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #35595 on: July 03, 2021, 05:17:04 AM
Guys, the 557 seemed to be the closest, in the Delmont line, to the Deluxe Tinker, which is my favorite larger frame SAK. 🙄

I'd take you up on it, Max, at least the 557, if I was round the corner. 😆

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #35596 on: July 03, 2021, 08:41:13 AM
Max, sounds like you need to join me with your S557 in the Daredevil Challenge next month.   :pok:

At least it's not just me who's less than enthused about this SAK.
Thanks Steve, but I'm already down for the Go BIG Challenge in August  :tu:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Reply #35597 on: July 04, 2021, 09:07:56 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I don’t suppose it was Swisstool? Bl@@#¥ useless they are. My sympathies. In the process of reclaiming chargeback through credit card myself.
We take what is offered...
Morituri Nolumus Mori

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #35598 on: July 05, 2021, 03:13:57 PM
A WENGER PORSCHE DESIGN 37 from 2016  :hatsoff:
WENGER-PORSCHE-1.jpg
* WENGER-PORSCHE-1.jpg (Filesize: 79.3 KB)
WENGER-PORSCHE-2.jpg
* WENGER-PORSCHE-2.jpg (Filesize: 100.68 KB)
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #35599 on: July 05, 2021, 05:10:48 PM
A WENGER PORSCHE DESIGN 37 from 2016  :hatsoff:

That's equal parts of cool and weird!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• No Life Club
Reply #35600 on: July 05, 2021, 06:14:47 PM
Very funky!!   :iagree:

us Offline Acuphys1

Reply #35601 on: July 05, 2021, 06:34:00 PM
Minichamp II which I put Stayglow scales on to match my Explorer.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
Use what you have to get what you want.

• No Life Club
Reply #35602 on: July 05, 2021, 09:53:26 PM
Nice work, love those scales! :like: :like:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #35603 on: July 06, 2021, 12:55:06 AM

us Offline Acuphys1

Reply #35604 on: July 06, 2021, 01:59:39 AM
Thanks guys!

:climber:

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Use what you have to get what you want.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #35605 on: July 06, 2021, 12:46:55 PM
1991 Mechanic  :tu:

Phillips with slot and pliers pre-crimper with no spring groove guide.

Original plan was to deconstruct for the tools, but I've decided to keep this original and just do some restoration and refresh with a pair of period solid scales. The Mechanic was less popular and only manufactured for about 15 years, but I've grown to love the pliers so this early one will be a keeper.  :salute:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #35606 on: July 06, 2021, 09:44:01 PM
Not really for me and not the best picture but my youngest (15 months) keeps stealing my rambler. So I got her on that's more suitable to play with

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #35607 on: July 07, 2021, 03:28:19 AM
A couple of new additions, arrived today from eBay:
- Huntsman
- Wenger Serrated Commander

The wood saw might make it into a custom build.

The partially-serrated blade just looked interesting.
2021-07-06 20.21.40.jpg
* 2021-07-06 20.21.40.jpg (Filesize: 429.5 KB)
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #35608 on: July 07, 2021, 03:39:20 AM
Guys, the 557 seemed to be the closest, in the Delmont line, to the Deluxe Tinker, which is my favorite larger frame SAK. 🙄

I'd take you up on it, Max, at least the 557, if I was round the corner. 😆
PitCarver, I don't know if I'm round the corner from you, but at least I'm here in the US. If you're still interested in an S557, PM me. I bought mine new in box in May. Other than some fiddling with it on my desk, it's unused. I even still have the box. Mine has the plain red Cellidor scales.
SAKs:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #35609 on: July 07, 2021, 01:50:58 PM
Needed to upgrade from my slide lock and single Phillips WC...  :tu:
Probably a comparison review to follow.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%