Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best SAK to go with Swisstool Spirit?

ca Offline Stirling3749

on: July 30, 2010, 07:52:24 AM
Okay so the Swisstool Spirit is like a multi tool superhero in a sense so what would be the ideal sidekick? the Robin to it's Batman so to speak.
I plan on doing allot of backcountry camping and would like a nice compact companion for my Spirit.
I have a large fixed blade knife but could definately use a backup strait edge and the standard Spirit has only the sheeps foot (which works great btw) so that's one obvious gap a SAK could fill but I figured I'd ask around here for advise about a particular model.
Thanks. :)

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Re: Best SAK to go with Swisstool Spirit?
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:04:10 AM
There would be some tool duplication but how about a Wenger SI or a Safari. An Atlas might be good too.
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 12:43:37 PM
Vic Compact.

The Compact will give you some extras the Spirit doesn't have: tweezers, toothpick, micro screwdriver, corkscrew, nail file & hook.

And you'l have an extra knife and scissors (not too much redundancy).

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 02:14:30 PM
I carry a Rambler and the Spirit corkscrew/with eyeglass screwdriver , in the coin pocket of my wallet - that just about gives me everything for EDC . When working , I team it up with an Electrician Plus .

Chris

Offline Lasse Eskildsen

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 03:19:00 PM
I've found a good combo to be the cybertool 29 for everyday carry, but you wouldnt need all those screwdrivers in the wild ofcourse.

I dont got any suggestions sorry  :-\

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 04:27:16 PM
I forgot to add: the Compact will also give you a pen.

Quite handy, that pen.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 06:00:03 AM
SwissChamp, or a CT41. And replace the Spirit with a full size Swisstool. And keep a Skeletool hanging from a belt loop. And a Classic or Micra on your keys. Oh, and don't forget to make sure there's a SURGE or ST300 in your bag or glovebox. Might wanna keep a Powerlock handy in case you need some heavy duty wire cutting.

But seriously, though it's a bit big my CT-34 made a great companion to my Spirit S when I was dual wielding multis. A CT-29 is a great choice for lighter weight and good versatility with the Spirit.

Offline sappyg

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 04:11:58 PM
that's a tough question.... the spirit nearly has all you need.

how about a recruit? it has two more blades plus toothpick and tweezers. a mini champ would also go well with it IMO.
i

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 04:42:09 PM
I'd suggest a Vic Sportsman or Wenger Evo 10/Classic 07.  They'd give you nail-file/scraper, corkscrew, toothpick+tweezers, plain blade, you could also add the micro driver to the corkscrew on the Sportsman.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 02:15:45 AM
Great suggestions guys. Thanks. :)
I was actually considering an explorer plus but the compact would add pretty much all the same tools without the extra stuff and in a tighter package. The only thing it doesn't have is the magnifier which would be cool for starting fires but otherwise not all that important.
So thankyou Shamus. You sold me on the compact. Hell, I'll probably get 2! One to compliment the Spirit out in the woods and one for edc in town where a pen and corkscrew are often quite handy and a great way to show the ladies who the prepared man is.  8)

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 06:31:30 AM
Spirit and maybe a cadet would be my choice.

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 09:52:30 AM
After much consideration I have to recommend the wenger  business tool, you get the all important spear point blade and then add a stapler for quick tent fixes , the staple remover for when you realise the fix is wrong, the hole punch looks to me pretty handy for making fine tinder, a nail  file too. In fact the only duplication are the scissors but I think you will have to concede that the business tool has the superior set  :tu:

"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 06:28:16 PM
 :D :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 06:41:42 AM
Alox Soldier.  I carry mine everyday and use it more than any other tool or knife.  Great choice.

Offline Ben X

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 09:31:37 AM
My latest EDC is a Victorinox Spirit S (BO) and an Executive. They compliment one another perfectly. The Executive has the toothpick, tweezers, and scissors my Spirit is lacking, and personally I choose the Executive over the Classic just for the nail file- I love it. Basically any 58mm or 74mm would be perfect in my book. The Spirit captures pretty well the essence of the Vic 84-111mm lineup, so carrying anything from that range with the Spirit is just redundant to me. Gareth makes a good point though- if you want a corkscrew or the mini, then go for a Sportsman, it's my favorite EDC (If only I didn't need pliers so darn often...).
"

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 02:54:33 PM
You could also get the corkscrew attachment for your spirit too, I think feline vet would sort you out pretty quickly  :tu:
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 08:55:38 AM

Good question that I will have to answer for myself too in a short future. My Spirit is on the way to me.  :)
I have the version with 2/3 serrated blade, scissors, bits added, corkscrew, metal+wood file etc.

So what it misses is:
- T+T
- pen
- small blade for finer work

From that point of view the SAK to go with Spirit is 58mm with pen and toothpick (I hardly ever use tweezers)

( Alox Solo with Awl would be nice too - but Victorinox does not produce it...  :( )

Did I forget something? Any ideas?
F

Offline HighlandPark

Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 05:19:23 PM
along with my spirit (pbj blade) ihad a 108 solo plus (the one that comes with corkscrew) so i had two different blades. for a very long time i used to think that it's only a swiss pocketknife if it comes with a corkscrew. on the other hand i rarely encounter a beer i could use the corkscrew on :-)
so i switched to a spirit with spearpoint blade, skipped the corkscrew and i am ready to go.
... i have to admit that i tend to have another sak around nevertheless. most of the time, its an alox soldier. just coz i like 'em  ::)

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 08:32:58 PM

Bringing this back from the grave because I have been thinking about the same question. Lately I am looking into a combo that gives me most of the tools, in the smallest package possible, without any doubles (besides blades).

The Spirit is of course part of that, being an awesome tool with a very high tool density. Missing tools are:
-Corkscrew
-Second blade/serrated blade (depending on which Spirit is chosen)
-T&T
-Magnifier
-Bit holder

Am I missing something else?
For the magnifier and bit holder I would also like suggestions for not SAK-related tools. For example a dedicated magnifying glass that has a better magnification than the Vic one. (Yes I know. Sacrilege. Get over it  :D )

So far I was thinking about Compact and Waiter. Hence my recent order of a Waiter  :facepalm:

Looking forward to ideas!  :popcorn:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 10:18:56 PM
Get the XC with the serrated sheepsfoot blade and the Plus set with the bit driver and removable corkscrew.  It's very good indeed.  Stuff a Swisscard Nailcare or Lite in your (now empty) wallet.  :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 11:33:07 PM
After that purchase it would be empty indeed  :rofl:

I thought about that as well, but then i would be forced to use a sheath again, which I dislike lately. I have been carrying the Spirit in the heavy duty pockets of my work pants, hanging on the Victorinox dangler or in my elastic pouch. All three work pretty well, and prevent me from having to move the sheath around (or buy three sheaths  :facepalm:).

I am not big on the swiss cards. Too much plastic. Had one and gifted it after a few days.

I am glad to be in a place though, where people understand this kind of decision making process and talking it through (over and over again if need be  :D)  For me, that is part of the fun. Figuring out new carrying methods, tool setups and so on. :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 12:27:53 AM
You should be ok with the spirit and waiter. If you want to add a bit holder or a magnifying lens you're going to add bulk.  You could get a separate snazzy pocket magnifying lens in a brass case.  :pok:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 12:57:53 AM
Any recommendations on brand or type of dedicated mag glass?   :popcorn:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 02:58:22 AM
Thanks!  :hatsoff:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 05:12:07 AM
Compact would be my choice. 

If the Spirit has a weakness, it is the scissors being not quite as nice as SAK scissors.  The compact gives you a plain blade, improved scissors and scale tools.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 06:06:24 AM
That was my thinking as well. Yet I never really put the Spirit down because of the scissors and used a 91mm instead. Have any of you?

The Spirit scissors are not quite as good at intricate work, but then again I don’t use SAK scissors for anything fancy.
I also only use them on fingernails if I am out and about, and for a quick fix the Spirit scissors will do. They are also better at heavy duty work in my experience. Cutting zip ties and such.

I guess I will just do a few test runs. One with Waiter and one with Compact. Then I will see if i grab the 91mm scissors instead of the Spirit’s  :popcorn:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: May 11, 2020, 10:47:04 AM
First off, it has to be the Spirit XC, because no matter what SAK, it will have a blade (exception is 58mm, their blade is tiny).

My choice would be a CyberTool
Gives T&T, pen, needle, small bits (if I wanted large bits, I would use the Spirit bit-kit). And depending on your choice of CT, scissors, small pliers (though I would rather call it heavier duty tweezers) and even a light.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: May 11, 2020, 12:42:39 PM
Compact would be my choice. 

If the Spirit has a weakness, it is the scissors being not quite as nice as SAK scissors.  The compact gives you a plain blade, improved scissors and scale tools.

I read the same choice earlier in the thread, and I thought the same thing.  If there's anything I'd miss from Spirit, probably just the tweezer and corkscrew.  Or maybe just a blade with thumbstud/flipper for convenience sake.  CT would be a pretty good choice too, but after the STACK challenge, I felt the penalty of heavier weight and thicker chassis with just a few extra 4mm bits is not my thing, YMMV.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 02:39:40 PM
My guess was that you're not looking for another set of scissors, so I'd have gone with the Waiter.  I feel like at that weight class, every layer counts.  You'll be able to put the Waiter on a keyring and forget it's there, if you want.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%