Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Jobsite Timewarp !

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Jobsite Timewarp !
on: July 31, 2010, 03:58:14 PM
Been working on the Video and card access systems in a new Catholic school . Jobsite hasa plethora of trades opperating in a confined space . Aside from my partner and I , I've seen only one plier based multi ( a low end Gerber-suspension FWIW ) , all the flashlights I have seen so far are Incan Mini Mags . These observations have been made over the course of about a month .

The one thing I have seen lots of , are pocket clipped OHO replacable blade utility knives . No SAK sightings whatsoever .

Most other large sites I have seen have had a fair representation of Leatherman tools .

The site hasn't been handed over to the board yet , so this abscence is not due to board "no weapons " policies .

As far as power tools go , De Walt and Millwaukee are running neck an neck , Millwaukee dominating among the plumbers and Electricians . There a few Hilti's for the big stuff , with everything else running a distant third .

My Partner and I are both rocking Vics. , he is sporting a Swisstool RS , and I'm going with my faithfull Spirit ( backed up by an OH Soldier and Electrician Plus ) .

Almost makes you think that plierbased tools are losing popularity .

Other tools that have become much more popular , are cordless Recip. saws , cordless SDS hammer drills ( mostly Hilti and DeWalt) , cordless angle grinders . Li. batteries have made these tools worthwhile , ditto cordless saws . SDS electropneumatic hammers have become very popular , as a result of higher operator comfort , more efficient drilling , and lower noise levels . Li. powered Impact tools arte everywhere , Milwaukee seems to be the prefered brand among the mechanical trades .

Chris
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 04:15:35 PM by Styerman »

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Re: Jobsite Timewarp !
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 04:10:19 PM
Wow, that is weird... They must just not be popular in that one area. Usually you see quite a few at jobsites like that... :think: :shrug:
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 04:20:28 PM
Doesn't sound that unusual if it were over here.  Very few building site workers use multi's of any kind in my experience.  I strongly suspect that this is because any of them that have tried one has gone for a cheap no-brand tool and has been put off by the poor quality.  Any good brand multi's are so expensive here that it puts people off buying them in the first place. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 04:24:23 PM
a couple of guys i work with have leathermans/gerbers and like them

i really want to try a sog though or a paladin
I

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 05:33:52 PM
I've checked out the Paladin's the 450 that I looked at was OK , some clever ideas , just didn't have the options I want .

Gareth , multi's are quite pricey in brick and mortar stores in Canada , but nowhere near as crazy as the UK or Europe .

Chris
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:35:29 PM by Styerman »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 06:05:06 PM
I count myself lucky that my coworker actually carries a huntsman :)

Prior to him you were lucky if you saw a Stanley blade ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline sappyg

Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 03:15:54 PM
having been a construction manager for the past 4 years i've had a chance to see what most all the trades are using around here. not one single SAK or multitool on any jobsite other than the one i carry.
hitachi has made big gains in power tools and taken over dewalts as the king of the hill. the price does play a factor and they do hold up very well. no framer would use anything other than a hitachi frame nailer. they all look like hell. i asked why they all used them and one framer told me that they were the only nailers that could drive nails, flush or sunk, in an LVL (laminated beam).
you hardly see any milwaulkie anymore and heaven forbid somebody actually has a flashlight. the biggest problem i have had on jobsites is lack of safe working equipment. jurry rigged ladders, lack of blade guards and damaged electric extension cords.
i

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 06:01:05 PM
I don't find this weird at all. I mean I'm working with a crew that is building the foundation for a new trades center at our college, and not a single person, carpenter, electrician, plumber, brick layer, operator, office worker, carry a multi or even a SAK. One delivery driver had a SAK on his belt but that's it. My foreman (carpenter) has a Charge model in his work truck though. But when your tool belt has more dirt in it then nails, and you are constantly in a hole deeper than 4 feet, something with that many moving parts becomes a pain in the ass to keep functional. I personally just spend a week rerouting a fire hydrant and that was in a hole over 20 ft deep. My pockets were literally filled with sand and dirt everyday. Also, when you carry a dedicated tool belt all day, you have linesman pliers for any tie wire/rebar work, which is the only thing I could see a multi being used for on my site, YMMV. As for popular tools on site, cordless anything but drills and impact drivers are not accepted, still not enough power for the boys. And Mikita is winning in most on site, followed closely by, Hilti, of all things. DeWalt is accepted as great quality, but due to some unknown circumstances the only one on site is the table saw.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

ca Offline cncguy

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 10:59:09 PM
Almost all my construction worker friends carry a multi. My 2 carpenter friends carry a skeletool and a SOG. (One of them got all of his helpers a skeletool.) Electrician friend carries a wave and a SOG kilowatt knife. Plumber friend has carried a charge or a wave as long as he's been a plumber. Carpenter friends use Bosch power tools and plumber and electrician use Milwaukee.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 12:18:16 AM
Shane , I hear you about working in a trench in the early stages of a project , at the time my partner and i arrived the place was 90% finished , the "Ruff" trades are pretty much gone , mostly inside guys and landscapers .

Come to think of it , I don't think I saw a corded screwgun or impact anywhere on the sight . By far the majority of the impacts were Milwaukee M18's .Just shows ya !

Chris

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 02:53:07 AM
We do have one corded drill, but thats for drilling form ply for the wall forms. Repeated drilling is easier with something that does not have a battery that slows down the amount of power output.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 05:47:07 AM
An air conditioning tech showed up for a service call at my home a couple of years ago.  I commented about his Leatherman multitool when I saw him using it.  I don't recall the model. 

He said he had gone through several multitools because he breaks them frequently.  I don't know if whether this was due to abuse or that multitools are not strong enough for repeated, daily trade use.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%