Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kershaw Skyline

cgk · 27 · 3146

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Kershaw Skyline
on: August 03, 2010, 09:38:26 PM
Ever since I had the opportunity to play with a Hinderer knife with a flipper I felt the need to own a flipper knife.  I hear the Skyline is a good knife with a flipper but I would like some feedback from you fine folks.  Is it truely a smooth opener?  For those wondering why I want a flipper knife.....cause its fun.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Re: Kershaw Skyline
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:45:44 PM
I've got one on me right now at work.  Great knife and it flips great.  Put a little oil on the pivot
once in awhile and your set.  Good pocket clip as well, nice and short.  It's a good value knife.  :tu:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:50 PM
Skyline's a great knife.

Actually, just about all the Kershaw flippers are damned nice - I have a Zing and it gets quite regular pocket carry. 
The Buck Vantage series are also flipper knives, and they're pretty nice as well.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:22:46 PM
I got to fondle a Kershaw Skyline at Wally World and it was quite nice. I was about to buy it before I saw the Buck 110 for $28, the Kershaw Chive for $15, and the Kershaw Salvo (used to be Barrage) for $25.

Did I mention that I'm poor? :(

I've also wanted a Buck Vantage Avid or Pro for awhile now but I haven't found it for the right price yet. =<
On a related note, my first flipper was a CRKT M16-12FDZ. :P
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:27:31 PM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:26:10 PM

I've also wanted a Buck Vantage Avid or Pro for awhile now but I haven't found it for the right price yet. =<
On a related note, my first flipper was a CRKT M16-13FDZ. :P

You're telling me - try getting one shipped to Canada.

Offline sappyg

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 02:57:30 AM
i'm a recent convert and fan of the kershaw skyline. i had to modify the clip (all kershaw clips are too flat... em... need more space between the clip and the scale) but that is the only issue and it is easily remedied. i've leaned on mine but not pounded on it and still no up and down play. i had some slight side to side play that was quickly fixed by tightening the pivot. re: the flipper, it has become more second nature to me than the spider hole. intuative...
the edge holds well and touches up like a champ.... kinda SAK like. i don't get way into the quality of steels but i like kershaws game here. the hollow grind means that you get a good slicer. late season garden tomatos don't stand a chance.
it's also several 1st for me. 1 G10 scale, 1st flipper, and the lightest folder i have ever had. love me some G10! and i just just can't get with the AO of say the leek model. i'm a flipper convert  :D
i'll probably never be amazed by the hinderer b/c i'm so impressed by the skyline.... shameless pics: :D

i

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 03:53:55 AM
Nice shot's there Sappy.  I agree that knife just begs to be used in the kitchen!  :tu:

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 04:58:32 AM
Thanks for the input.  I didnt know the Buck Vantage was a flipper, that adds a new wrinkle. 

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 06:41:56 AM
Vantage's flipper is on the small side but works, I roughen it up with 100 grit sandpaper to get a better grip.

Offline Silentsniper441

Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 03:32:29 AM
the skylines flipper is great, once you get the hang of it you can make the blade fly open like nothing, however if your looking to be able to use the thumbstud and have big hands, i would look elsewhere
I

Offline sappyg

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 03:38:22 AM
the skylines flipper is great, once you get the hang of it you can make the blade fly open like nothing, however if your looking to be able to use the thumbstud and have big hands, i would look elsewhere

very good point
i

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 12:33:16 PM
The Skyline was my first Kershaw, and began my love affair with this brand and all flippers in general.  The Buck vantage is also wonderful and it includes the ambidextrous thumb hole.  Check out the Kershaw Chill- same type of flipper in a slimmer package.  also the OD 1. This knife opes like a switchblade, without any springs!  My currrent favorite.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 06:18:36 PM
The Skyline was my first Kershaw, and began my love affair with this brand and all flippers in general.  The Buck vantage is also wonderful and it includes the ambidextrous thumb hole.  Check out the Kershaw Chill- same type of flipper in a slimmer package.  also the OD 1. This knife opes like a switchblade, without any springs!  My currrent favorite.
So you would recommend the OD-1 over all the others including the Buck?

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 06:37:22 PM
Here are a few pic's of my Skyline and OD-1 for reference.
Skyline & OD1 002.JPG
* Skyline & OD1 002.JPG (Filesize: 57.05 KB)
Skyline & OD1 001.JPG
* Skyline & OD1 001.JPG (Filesize: 76.34 KB)

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 06:38:33 PM
Skyline & OD1 003.JPG
* Skyline & OD1 003.JPG (Filesize: 59.09 KB)
Skyline & OD1 004.JPG
* Skyline & OD1 004.JPG (Filesize: 59.2 KB)

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 06:39:00 PM
Skyline & OD1 005.JPG
* Skyline & OD1 005.JPG (Filesize: 49.7 KB)

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 08:38:29 PM
Which do you prefer?

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 01:15:38 AM
I carry the skyline at work with me now and I like it.  I carry the OD-1 on my days off sometimes.
I actually think I like them both equally.  One nice thing I like about the od-1 is the g-10 on one
side gives it some grip while the other steel side slides onto the pocket easily and does not wear
on your jeans.  :tu:

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 12:23:46 PM
I wouldn't recommend the OD1 over the Skyline.  I like both for different reasons, and the Sky line is a tiny bit lighter.  I am really in love with the flipper on the OD1.  I do wish it had a slightly stiffer lock, it works fine, but isn't as stiff as i would prefer in a frame lock.  My personal perfect EDC is the OD2.  Same flipper in a MUCH smaller package.  and when opened the knife looks alot like an older style pen knife.  Sort of the best of both worlds.  Modern opening and lock up with traditional appearance.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 02:52:59 PM
I wouldn't recommend the OD1 over the Skyline.  I like both for different reasons, and the Sky line is a tiny bit lighter.  I am really in love with the flipper on the OD1.  I do wish it had a slightly stiffer lock, it works fine, but isn't as stiff as i would prefer in a frame lock.  My personal perfect EDC is the OD2.  Same flipper in a MUCH smaller package.  and when opened the knife looks alot like an older style pen knife.  Sort of the best of both worlds.  Modern opening and lock up with traditional appearance.
What about the Buck?  I must say I like the look of the Buck but I really want to get the one with the smoothest flipper action.

Offline sappyg

Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 04:23:49 PM
What about the Buck?  I must say I like the look of the Buck but I really want to get the one with the smoothest flipper action.

i tried booth the OD-1 and the skyline side by side. actually had three ODs on the counter looking for the best flip action. i'm sure the OD would have worn in and gotten smoother over time but in my case at least the skyline was better out of the box. most walmarts stock both.
i haven't tried the buck.
i

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 06:33:22 PM

The Buck is an awesome knife, at least the ones I've tried (I've tried the larger in all three versions).  Very nice, very smooth action.  Just make sure you get one without a blade centering issue, the first manufacturing run had the problem up and down the line.  If I could've gotten the smaller version of the Avid or Pro (Sandvik 13c26 or S30V steel respectively) in small, I would've jumped on it.  As it is, the large is just a wee bit too big for my hands.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 12:03:37 AM

The Buck is an awesome knife, at least the ones I've tried (I've tried the larger in all three versions).  Very nice, very smooth action.  Just make sure you get one without a blade centering issue, the first manufacturing run had the problem up and down the line.  If I could've gotten the smaller version of the Avid or Pro (Sandvik 13c26 or S30V steel respectively) in small, I would've jumped on it.  As it is, the large is just a wee bit too big for my hands.

Thank-you for the feedback.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 04:46:39 PM
So I went to Walmart and picked-up the.....Buck Advantage Select.  Why....because thats the only flipper they had and I sure as heck wasnt walking out of there empty handed.  I filed the little liner bump (for the blade detent) off and added a dab of oil, it now flips very well....I am happy.  Thanks for he help all.

Offline sappyg

Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 04:54:28 PM
pics?
i

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 06:18:29 PM
pics?
Stop it!!  Ill work on that later.  I should have known (theres always one in every group)

Offline UAinfidel

Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 08:10:04 AM
Which do you prefer?

I have both and I actually prefer the od1 over the skyline. It's just a more solid knife, and the flipper works flawlessly.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%