Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge TTI - How Bulletproof is it?

us Offline MedusaOblongata

Charge TTI - How Bulletproof is it?
on: September 07, 2007, 04:37:27 PM
I've been carrying a Supertool 200 since they came out (and an original Supertool before that) because every other multi-tool felt flimsy in comparison. Even the Wave, which when it came out I thought was a work of engineering genius, felt way too flimsy. I've beat the living hell out of my Supertool 200, using it as a hammer on many occasions, prybar, and just about everything else, and it's as solid as the day I got it. I think I could throw it out the window of a moving car and the only damage it would sustain would be a little scratch. Anyway, I just picked up a Charge TTI, which looked to be "the best" of the current offerings. It seems to be designed well, good lock release, scissors are good things though I haven't tested them yet, the removable pocket clip is great, I'll hate to lose the awl. The clip point blade wasn't quite sharp enough, but I fixed that right away. But will it hold up to regular (and irregular) abuse as well as the Supertool 200?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 04:39:15 PM by MedusaOblongata »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Charge TTI - How Bulletproof is it?
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 04:41:09 PM
For what they are charging for the TTi, it better last through four generations of your family, and make breakfast!

Seriously, I think you are safe with the 25 year Leatherman warranty.  I doubt you'll have to worry about anything for at least that long.  Some tools may not feel as heavy duty as others (and indeed aren't designed that way) but they should all take a reasonable pounding and keep coming back.

Since you are a fan of the SuperTool series though I think you may have been better off with the Surge or the Core, both of which are similar in size and construction to the SuperTools.  The Charge is significantly smaller than the others, and that may account for some of the "flimsy" feeling you get from other tools.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 06:20:30 PM
I have not had a problem with any of my leatherman tools.  I have not had a problem with any of my tools for that matter.  Although I bought a SOG that I thought the blade was a little less than desireable but it too has served me well flimsy blade and all.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:10:08 PM
I think the Charge will definetly hold up to any reasonable abuse. IMO though, for unreasonable abuse, the simpler "inside" tools (ie Kick, Blast, Core) will hold on better longer. I have that same kind of toss-it-out-the-car confidence in my Kick, but not quite the same for my Charge TI. In fact, I remember that one day I was bored at a park, was playing with the Kick, and just chucked it about 40 feet for no reason. I do stupid things when I'm bored :P No damage of course.

But whatever happens, LM's 25 year warranty should take care of anything along the way!  :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 05:30:07 AM
I would resist using your new TTi as a hammer. Other heavy usages, okay, but avoid the extra-high-impact applications.  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 12:08:31 AM
 The Core might be a good idea if you're used to a SuperTool.
[

Offline hassium270

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:31:19 AM
something i have wondered about the tti - how brittle are the titanium handles? ti alloys are well known to be extremely hard and light, but can be brittle like glass. i've heard that ti alloys are better than a few years back, but....i wouldn't use it as a hammer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%