Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GAK passaround

Zag · 162 · 19143

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: GAK passaround
Reply #90 on: February 13, 2011, 06:20:23 PM
The GAK has been here in the frigid north country for several days now. :) I'd like to say I've been letting it aclimate to the 100 degree F temperature change between molten Australia and here :o but truth be told I just haven't gotten around to testing it yet. :P :D

Took it outside for a bit of a walk today though. :)

(Image removed from quote.)

I must say, European army knives are different in at least one major respect from the ones around here; no way in heck would the top brass allow a corkscrew to be fitted on a USAAK. ;)  Do european soldiers in the field often find themselves in desperate need of a corkscrew?? ???

love that pic  :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #91 on: February 13, 2011, 06:37:50 PM
Thanks Zed, and thanks for the passaround too! :tu: I've been carrying the GAK on and off for better than a week now. :) I've been pretty much on a work-home-sleep schedule though, so there hasn't been much opportunity to use anything other than the knife blade. I do like the thin width-to-long length ratio though. :tu: (I've never been one for fat knives)

So maybe it isn't quite fair of me to judge, as I haven't done any actually testing, but I don't think I care much for the combo blade. :-\ The screwdriver tip is okay, but the cap lifter :think: Seems like they should have left it off and made the saw blade longer. Maybe that is just personal preference though. :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #92 on: February 13, 2011, 06:59:07 PM
Thanks Zed, and thanks for the passaround too! :tu: I've been carrying the GAK on and off for better than a week now. :) I've been pretty much on a work-home-sleep schedule though, so there hasn't been much opportunity to use anything other than the knife blade. I do like the thin width-to-long length ratio though. :tu: (I've never been one for fat knives)

So maybe it isn't quite fair of me to judge, as I haven't done any actually testing, but I don't think I care much for the combo blade. :-\ The screwdriver tip is okay, but the cap lifter :think: Seems like they should have left it off and made the saw blade longer. Maybe that is just personal preference though. :)

:tu:  although this is ZAGs passaround, i do agree on the cap lifter, it is a odd idea, i have now a GAK of my won but it has the cover for the saw and this helps a lot , but i do think this is a usefull camping outdoors tool and i look forward to trying mine out in the field and colecting different variations of these knifes, again big up to zag for letting uis try this knife out  :salute:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #93 on: February 13, 2011, 07:10:24 PM
Oop! :-[ :D Yeah, thanks Zag! :cheers:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #94 on: February 14, 2011, 02:58:00 AM
 :D
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #95 on: February 14, 2011, 03:29:32 AM
Y'know, I think the most overlooked feature of this knife is the lanyard hole! :tu: I like having a lanyard attached, but I don't care much for lanyard hoops like the Wenger SI has, as the d*mn thing is constantly flicking down and putting notches in the knife blade. (argh!) This hole right through the pivot is much better IMO :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: February 14, 2011, 09:44:11 AM
Y'know, I think the most overlooked feature of this knife is the lanyard hole! :tu: I like having a lanyard attached, but I don't care much for lanyard hoops like the Wenger SI has, as the d*mn thing is constantly flicking down and putting notches in the knife blade. (argh!) This hole right through the pivot is much better IMO :tu:

i like this hole as well, i was looking at a jack pyke version the other day that is identical other than fold out pliers on the lanyard hole end, they kept the hole  :think: its a bit odd as you cant use it because of the pliers  :-\

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #97 on: February 15, 2011, 03:31:01 AM
i like this hole as well, i was looking at a jack pyke version the other day that is identical other than fold out pliers on the lanyard hole end, they kept the hole  :think: its a bit odd as you cant use it because of the pliers  :-\

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that one. :think: Do you have any pictures of it?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #98 on: February 15, 2011, 09:27:40 AM

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that one. :think: Do you have any pictures of it?

i did see one on here a while back, here is a link to the one i saw,

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/images/product/main/GERMAN-PLIER-KNIFE.jpg

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #99 on: February 16, 2011, 02:19:09 AM
Okay, I've got one like that. :salute: It says Mil-Tec on the blade though. :think:
  Quality isn't nearly as good as Zag's Victorinox is. ::)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #100 on: February 16, 2011, 06:48:09 AM
Okay, I've got one like that. :salute: It says Mil-Tec on the blade though. :think:
  Quality isn't nearly as good as Zag's Victorinox is. ::)

My first gak is a mil-tec, it seems a well made knife for the bucks, i have to say i would trade the corkscrew for pliers but its ashame the landyard hole is not useable  :-\

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #101 on: February 17, 2011, 07:33:10 PM
so where is the gak now  :D

us Offline Pacu

Reply #102 on: February 17, 2011, 08:38:32 PM

it's right here..in Texas! It's bigger than i thought it was..well built and sturdy. It was waiting for me in the post today as i got off work. Here are some preliminary photographs.

more to follow :cheers:

ca Offline Gogoas

Reply #103 on: February 17, 2011, 10:21:33 PM

it's right here..in Texas! It's bigger than i thought it was..well built and sturdy. It was waiting for me in the post today as i got off work. Here are some preliminary photographs.

more to follow :cheers:
sweet, stick it in a piece of wood or something

us Offline Pacu

Reply #104 on: February 17, 2011, 10:53:00 PM
Here are some size comparisons

Cadet GAK and a Swisstool with a USA dollar coin and a 2 pound coin.

The GAK blade is about the same size as the Swisstools and dwarfs the Cadets blade.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #105 on: February 18, 2011, 03:52:13 AM
Great pics, and I'm glad to see it arrived safely! :cheers:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #106 on: February 18, 2011, 09:47:43 AM
some great pics, im still edc'ing my gak and combined with a classic its a good tool, i used the caplifter the other day and it works a treat,

us Offline Pacu

Reply #107 on: February 19, 2011, 12:24:21 AM
Great pics, and I'm glad to see it arrived safely! :cheers:

arrived safe and sound quite quickly :tu:

I'm taking the GAK on a road trip to see the parents in the backwoods Texas. Try to get some good action shots while up there :D
That is ifin Bigfoot, chupacabra, swamp panthers and the Dairy Queen cottonmouth don't get us first  ::) :ahhh

us Offline Pacu

Reply #108 on: February 28, 2011, 11:34:10 PM
got a couple more shots to take then it's off to the next lucky person. This is def on my list to add to my collection.  :tu:

so who's after me list-wise?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #109 on: March 01, 2011, 03:03:59 AM
got a couple more shots to take then it's off to the next lucky person. This is def on my list to add to my collection.  :tu:

so who's after me list-wise?

Hmmm, I don't know if there IS anyone after you on the list...? ???

So do we have anyone else who is interested in checking out the GAK? :)

us Offline Pacu

Reply #110 on: March 01, 2011, 04:00:12 AM
 :pok:

us Offline stack

Reply #111 on: March 01, 2011, 06:09:06 AM
If no one else is on the list, I will give it a try. Let me know and I will PM my adress.  :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #112 on: March 02, 2011, 04:06:36 AM
If no one else is on the list, I will give it a try. Let me know and I will PM my adress.  :)

Hmmm, I dunno. :think: This particular GAK is a mighty valuable little knife. :-\ 

Perhaps you'd better send me that PST in your avatar as collateral :D :D

us Offline stack

Reply #113 on: March 02, 2011, 11:58:44 PM
 :D sounds like a plan. ::) ::)

us Offline Pacu

Reply #114 on: March 04, 2011, 01:53:44 AM
Hey stack.....pm your addy to me and ill send it off when i get back to the house sunday
 :cheers: :mail:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: March 04, 2011, 07:03:16 AM
Hey guys on account of my saw comparison thread I'd be extremely interested in trying out this knife. I know I'm a newbie here and would completely understand if you feel uncomfortable about me participating. While I'm a newbie here I go by the same username on other forums and would be happy to supply some references as to my reliability.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #116 on: March 04, 2011, 08:01:01 AM
Hey guys on account of my saw comparison thread I'd be extremely interested in trying out this knife. I know I'm a newbie here and would completely understand if you feel uncomfortable about me participating. While I'm a newbie here I go by the same username on other forums and would be happy to supply some references as to my reliability.

its a very aggresive saw , im going to test mine against the one on my wave as similiar desighn. if you get a few more posts under your belt ill send you one to try out  :tu:

paul

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: March 04, 2011, 08:28:08 AM
its a very aggresive saw , im going to test mine against the one on my wave as similiar desighn. if you get a few more posts under your belt ill send you one to try out  :tu:

Excellent, I very much look forward to your test.
Thanks  :tu:

us Offline stack

Reply #118 on: March 04, 2011, 10:08:48 PM
I will also see how well it does against my charge  :tu:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #119 on: March 09, 2011, 03:15:16 AM
and it's off to stack!

great knife btw..thanks for letting me into the passaround :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :tu: :tu: :tu:
i'm gonna get one sooner or later.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88