Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Grabbed myself an SRM 710

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Grabbed myself an SRM 710
on: August 17, 2010, 03:44:37 AM
oooohhhhh yeahhhhhhhh  8) Don't I just feel like a boss, finally jumped on the SRM bandwagon and nabbed a 710. Didn't have time to actually check it out properly or snap any pics but I will say I'm pretty impressed. Smooth and tight, cuts very well. I will say the hinge screw must be a bit too tight because opening it one handed was more of a challenge than it should have been. Ah well, time will take care of that I suspect. Expect a first-look video very soon on MGR.

Offline sappyg

Re: Grabbed myself an SRM 710
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 04:35:43 AM
no pics?.........  :twak:
i

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:38:43 AM
no pics?.........  :twak:

I'll give you a full-on VIDEO very soon! :D

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:41:46 AM
oooohhhhh yeahhhhhhhh  8) Don't I just feel like a boss, finally jumped on the SRM bandwagon and nabbed a 710. Didn't have time to actually check it out properly or snap any pics but I will say I'm pretty impressed. Smooth and tight, cuts very well. I will say the hinge screw must be a bit too tight because opening it one handed was more of a challenge than it should have been. Ah well, time will take care of that I suspect. Expect a first-look video very soon on MGR.

I got one last week and I am QUITE impressed. I had to loosen the pivot screw a quarter turn to make it easier, but it still locks up quite soldily without any play. :D

I think my next project is to make a leather slip case for it (I removed the pocket clip), then maybe fill the pocket clip holes with GitD material. :drool:
Got those frog legs.

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:48:41 AM

I got one last week and I am QUITE impressed. I had to loosen the pivot screw a quarter turn to make it easier, but it still locks up quite soldily without any play. :D

I think my next project is to make a leather slip case for it (I removed the pocket clip), then maybe fill the pocket clip holes with GitD material. :drool:

Hm, I have to remember to do that then! Yeah, I only tested it with paper but boy does it slice!!

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:12:23 AM
oooohhhhh yeahhhhhhhh  8) Don't I just feel like a boss, finally jumped on the SRM bandwagon and nabbed a 710. Didn't have time to actually check it out properly or snap any pics but I will say I'm pretty impressed. Smooth and tight, cuts very well. I will say the hinge screw must be a bit too tight because opening it one handed was more of a challenge than it should have been. Ah well, time will take care of that I suspect. Expect a first-look video very soon on MGR.

Hm, I have to remember to do that then! Yeah, I only tested it with paper but boy does it slice!!

Before you loosen the pivot screw, try this - instead of pushing the thumbstud straight up to open, use the finger choil on the knife as a guide to push it up and out at a slight angle.  Once I figured out how to do that on my 763s, the blades came flying out of the handles where I had problems beforehand.
Practice it a bit and it'll become second nature to you.

Edit:  For tag failure
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:27:17 AM by jekostas »

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 07:21:37 AM

Before you loosen the pivot screw, try this - instead of pushing the thumbstud straight up to open, use the finger choil on the knife as a guide to push it up and out at a slight angle.  Once I figured out how to do that on my 763s, the blades came flying out of the handles where I had problems beforehand.
Practice it a bit and it'll become second nature to you.

I know where I'm supposed to do it, but after pulling it out of my pocket sometimes my thumb is just in the wrong position and I have to struggle with it. Loosening the pivot screw helps me a little in this respect. That being said, I would still love the knife if it had a nail nick instead of a thumbstud. ::)
Got those frog legs.

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:35:52 PM
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:40:45 PM by markn951 »

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 02:02:18 AM
That is a really cool piece. Where are people here getting them from?
S

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 02:37:29 AM
You can get 'em from szwholesale.com, exduct.com, or eBay.  I've gotten a couple from exduct (one more on the way), and they clear through Paypal so you don't have to give your CC info out.

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 05:45:13 PM
I got my 3 for exduct, total was like 27 bucks or something but man the shipping took like 3 weeks.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 06:11:43 PM
I got my 3 for exduct, total was like 27 bucks or something but man the shipping took like 3 weeks.

The fact that SanRenMu doesn't have a US distributorship network is an annoyance, but the savings in freight/inventory probably adds up to another 30% or so savings on the cost of the knife.
As always, you trade convenience for cost.

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 03:08:10 AM
You know if they were sold in the US they would be 25-30 each... oh wait, CRKT. Right...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%