Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

tactical SAK

Jmora · 31 · 3948

de Offline Jmora

tactical SAK
on: August 17, 2010, 08:12:30 PM
just wondering lately why it is that Wenger and Victorinox exclusively supplied the swiss army with pocket knives, but never took on contracts for tactical knives, swords, daggers etc. we all know the cheap jokes about the swiss army carrying corkscrews into battle, or doing battle against hostile apples, but it seems strange that they never diversified into more military stuff.

Does anyone know if they did actually do this at any point in their history?

gb Offline Zag

Re: tactical SAK
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:31:13 PM
I beleive they did loads of bayonets.
but somebody more educated than me will chip in with some pics  ;)
AloxWorld.com

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 08:51:32 PM
$35? Why its so cheap? ??? 

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:15:48 PM
The link shows the issued bayonet in the 40s through 70s. The current issue Bayonet is shown below and the Swiss Officer's dagger below that.
Vic Bayonet.JPG
* Vic Bayonet.JPG (Filesize: 30.24 KB)
Swiss Officer's Dagger Prime.jpg
* Swiss Officer's Dagger Prime.jpg (Filesize: 50.13 KB)
T

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:17:11 PM
$35? Why its so cheap? ??? 
I would be happy to charge you more if you'd like  :D
T

de Offline Jmora

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 09:55:02 PM
interesting info, I have seen swiss army bayonettes, but from another manufacturer, so I assumed victorinox was generally not involved.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 09:59:33 PM
interesting info, I have seen swiss army bayonettes, but from another manufacturer, so I assumed victorinox was generally not involved.
Wenger also produced the Bayonets since both Wenger and Victorinox shared the Swiss Army contracts. Currently Victorinox is the sole contractor for the Swiss Army bayonets and knives.
T

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 02:15:31 AM
Tim, Would the bayonet in the link fit a K-31.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:31:07 AM
Tim, Would the bayonet in the link fit a K-31.
Sorry, no.
T

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 01:14:24 PM
just wondering lately why it is that Wenger and Victorinox exclusively supplied the swiss army with pocket knives, but never took on contracts for tactical knives, swords, daggers etc. we all know the cheap jokes about the swiss army carrying corkscrews into battle, or doing battle against hostile apples, but it seems strange that they never diversified into more military stuff.

Does anyone know if they did actually do this at any point in their history?

I think it's a matter of focus more than anything else.  The Soldier model SAK is more ideally suited to use by soldiers than any fancy one handed opening tactical type folder since it allows them to easily maintain their rifles and other equipment.  It's fairly rare (despite what Hollywood and tactical knife companies would have you believe) that soldiers actually fight hand to hand and need instantly deployable blades with reinforced tanto points and locks that withstand 10,000 pounds of pressure.  If the poo hits the fan that badly, they are going to use anything at hand as a weapon, be it a brick, knife, pipe, rock, stick etc.

A soldier in the field however is more likely to need a saw, a can opener, a few different screwdrivers and a utility blade, as these are the things he'll need to keep his rifle sighted in and clean, open food packages and build temporary shelters/blinds as well as starting a fire.  Frankly, if I was a soldier, I think all of these would be a much higher priority to me than a fancy black coated carbon fiber handled doodad that is really only good for penetrating body armor!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 03:23:25 PM
Well said ! Steven Dick described combat ( Vietnam era ) quite accurately as a camping trip where people are shooting at you .

Chris

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 03:37:17 PM
While the "shooting at you" part is undoubtedly better fodder for stories, I would guess that he spent a lot more time camping and anticipating people shooting at him than he did playing target!  With that in mind, I'd rather have a good camp knife simply because I'd like to be well rested and properly fed when the shooting starts!  Plus, I'd think having accurately adjusted rifle sights would come in handy then too...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 04:06:58 PM
thanks Def, that makes perfect sense. I was always struck by the contradiction where people laugh at me for carrying a SAK, because they don't take the little red knives seriously, and the fact that there are so many SAK fans who are or were soldiers. 

I've just noticed that my old soldiers (79, 81), with the unpolished steel openers have a wire scraper built in - a bit like the spirit, I wonder why they didn't keep that extra bit of multifunctionality on later editions.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 04:10:21 PM
Wenger also produced the Bayonets since both Wenger and Victorinox shared the Swiss Army contracts. Currently Victorinox is the sole contractor for the Swiss Army bayonets and knives.

It would be cool to have one, probably not terribly legal around here though - I'm guessing technically legal, but at the discretion of customs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 04:24:03 PM
I have one of each, and they are pretty neat.  I wouldn't suggest carrying it around though, as it's a bit awkward and more or less useless unless strapped to the front of a rifle when the cavalry charges.

Def

de Offline Jmora

Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 04:35:35 PM
Just for collecting, I wouldn't carry something like that, just finding a horse to accessorize it with would be a pain  :D

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 05:54:49 PM

This one was on duty with my father during WWII when swiss Army protected our border.
Fortunatly it was never used for it's real purpose but only for parade, patrol and some (friendly) games  :duel:

de Offline Jmora

Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 10:18:17 AM
that's a fantastic heirloom to have. Looks to be in excellent condition too. Was there also a pocket knife?

us Offline bren10man

Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 07:04:32 PM

I think it's a matter of focus more than anything else.  The Soldier model SAK is more ideally suited to use by soldiers than any fancy one handed opening tactical type folder since it allows them to easily maintain their rifles and other equipment.  It's fairly rare (despite what Hollywood and tactical knife companies would have you believe) that soldiers actually fight hand to hand and need instantly deployable blades with reinforced tanto points and locks that withstand 10,000 pounds of pressure.  If the poo hits the fan that badly, they are going to use anything at hand as a weapon, be it a brick, knife, pipe, rock, stick etc.

A soldier in the field however is more likely to need a saw, a can opener, a few different screwdrivers and a utility blade, as these are the things he'll need to keep his rifle sighted in and clean, open food packages and build temporary shelters/blinds as well as starting a fire.  Frankly, if I was a soldier, I think all of these would be a much higher priority to me than a fancy black coated carbon fiber handled doodad that is really only good for penetrating body armor!

Def

I could not have said it any better.....and I have been there, done that, and fixing to do it again.   
MOLON LABE!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 09:08:24 PM
Stay prepared, keep your head down and don't leave home without your corkscrew.

Def

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 10:26:29 PM
SAK + Tactical = Saktical?

:think:

Sounds like another word for scrotum. 

"Dude, be careful! You almost hit me in my saktical."

BTW... that reminds me... does anyone else (or perhaps you all do) refer now in conversation to a "Swiss Army Knife" as a "sack"?

As in:

"What have ya got on ya Bill?"

"Oh, just my folder and a SAK."

I now carry a bag with a sack in it.  :think:
G

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 10:35:00 PM
Still on prescription drugs I see...    :D :D

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 12:44:07 AM
They aren't prescription.
G

de Offline Jmora

Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 05:00:50 AM
They aren't prescription.
:ahhh don't worry man, I can see the small leprechaun furious bongo creatures too...I might use my awl to vanquish them. :ahhh
There's no way my friends will ever understand the SAK abbreviation, I'm thinking of moving on to a single blade, OHO, maybe I can show a few friends that a knife can be useful without being deadly.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 07:42:42 AM
My clip Sentinel is now my EDC companion. And yes, a simple beautiful blade is most useful.

But the leprechaun furious bongo creatures still follow me. I can't seem to frighten them away.

Of course i am rather drunk right now, so that may be a factor.

Funny... i was just hanging out with my German pal Andreas when you posted. We were discussing the virtues of braunschweiger and DAB beer.
G

de Offline Jmora

Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 02:45:15 PM
I don't know those beers, possibly northern? I like bavarian beers the most - the helles or weißbiers.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 04:08:16 PM
I don't know those beers, possibly northern? I like bavarian beers the most - the helles or weißbiers.

Only one is beer, the other is sausage.

braunschweiger

DAB beer
braunschweiger-0901.jpg
* braunschweiger-0901.jpg (Filesize: 19.44 KB)
dab-original.jpg
* dab-original.jpg (Filesize: 101.61 KB)
G

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 01:07:02 AM
I love MT.O  :D

de Offline Jmora

Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 03:51:09 AM

Only one is beer, the other is sausage.

braunschweiger

DAB beer

looks like a great sausage. I converted some german friends to irish black and white pudding a while back (black offal sausage and white offal sausage), they were annoyed with me for frying it and stinking out the kitchen in the morning, but they came around eventually.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%