Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge Owners Club

us Offline baja820

Re: Surge Owners Club
Reply #120 on: March 05, 2013, 04:09:05 AM
Not with a 2012 date stamp  :D
God made man but Samuel Colt made them equal.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #121 on: March 05, 2013, 09:16:05 AM
Not with a 2012 date stamp  :D

Is is very true, I wonder if I sent my old surge in as pliers and bit driver need sorting they would fit new type head  :think: I guess they would replace the whole mt  :-\

us Offline baja820

Reply #122 on: March 08, 2013, 04:44:00 AM
My friend in Beijing has this little guy and I want it bad! Lol

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #123 on: March 08, 2013, 05:00:32 PM
Say...how exactly did Beijing get that??  The t-shank hold down is simply mouth-watering, n'est-ce pas?

I too am finding it hard to wait until July/August...and wait...and wait...

Progress has seemed a bit on the weenie side, hasn't it?  A little?  That hold down would have come in handy SO many times.  Ah, well.

:D
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

us Offline baja820

Reply #124 on: March 08, 2013, 05:11:30 PM
He's a rep for Leatherman in china.... lucky smurf! :D

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #125 on: March 19, 2013, 12:33:37 AM
I have bugged LM more than a couple of times about the loose clip on the Surge - I believe without being annoying.  I realize there's a fix in place via MTO, which is great.  I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it works.

Still - the manufacturer must know about this...as I can't possibly be the ONLY owner contacting them.  Well, since the new version is coming out fairly soon, I contacted again.  THIS is the most current reply [to loose clip syndrome]:

"I have been told by engineers in the past that there is an intentional bit of wiggle in the design of pocket clips so if they get caught on something that there would be a little bit of “give” rather than immediately breaking off and ruining the clip.   

I contacted our engineer dept. regarding any plans to change the clip design.  There are none at this time.

I will be happy to forward your concern regarding the removal of the bit drivers in the upcoming Surge version.

Thank you for being the passionate Leatherman customer that you are."

I replied to LM that the Charge clip fits nice and snug and - to my knowledge - most owners would prefer snug.  So, in effect, i asked, 'what gives??'.  I then received a somewhat terse reply, blah-blah-blah-blah.

Is this not that big an issue for other Surge owners?  I know that even with the new hold-down on the t-shank holder, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at the sawzall blade mod that fits in the clip space on the tool.

I don't know; what do you all think?  Who cares?  Is it just moi or what?  I'm not an engineer, but since they're doing a re-make/re-model, would it really be that difficult to do by August?   ???

Go ahead tell me I'm wrong...and verbose...

us Offline carlb

Reply #126 on: March 19, 2013, 02:03:08 AM
I have bugged LM more than a couple of times about the loose clip on the Surge - I believe without being annoying.  I realize there's a fix in place via MTO, which is great.  I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it works.

Still - the manufacturer must know about this...as I can't possibly be the ONLY owner contacting them.  Well, since the new version is coming out fairly soon, I contacted again.  THIS is the most current reply [to loose clip syndrome]:

"I have been told by engineers in the past that there is an intentional bit of wiggle in the design of pocket clips so if they get caught on something that there would be a little bit of “give” rather than immediately breaking off and ruining the clip.   

I contacted our engineer dept. regarding any plans to change the clip design.  There are none at this time.

I will be happy to forward your concern regarding the removal of the bit drivers in the upcoming Surge version.

Thank you for being the passionate Leatherman customer that you are."

I replied to LM that the Charge clip fits nice and snug and - to my knowledge - most owners would prefer snug.  So, in effect, i asked, 'what gives??'.  I then received a somewhat terse reply, blah-blah-blah-blah.

Is this not that big an issue for other Surge owners?  I know that even with the new hold-down on the t-shank holder, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at the sawzall blade mod that fits in the clip space on the tool.

I don't know; what do you all think?  Who cares?  Is it just moi or what?  I'm not an engineer, but since they're doing a re-make/re-model, would it really be that difficult to do by August?   ???

Go ahead tell me I'm wrong...and verbose...
I have a surge and a charge tti and the clip is actually loose on the charge to, the edges on the tti handles actually hold the clip from moving. If you lift the clip out from the groves on the handles, it moves around the same as the surge. Mine does anyway.

NOTErized!

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #127 on: March 19, 2013, 03:38:23 AM
Interesting.  I hadn't read or heard that Charge owners had the same problem.  I thought it was an affliction of the Surge realm exclusively.

OK...then why don't they fix both?!  thffpt!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #128 on: March 19, 2013, 01:44:48 PM
I just got my first Leatherman Surge.
I am impressed, both positively and negatively.
It dwarfs my Swisschamp XLT and it shows that it is a heavy duty tool, while the Swisschamp seems more like a luxury item of desire (still very usable).
It is quite stiff (WD40?) and the tolerances are not in the same league with the Swiss guys (there is a void between the jaws and very minor play here and there). It lacks the easiness of opening, with the exception of the 4 one hand opening tools. There is a nice click but nothing like the "play it loud" Swiss music.  But it is very impressive nevertheless and the pliers is a real one, while the blades are almost as long as the Opinels' #8 and the scissors almost as long as those of the Victorinox. The pouch could be made for the accommodation of both bit kit holders (it fits very tight and the tool scratches the back of the holder).
I'm going to get the bit adapter also and EDC it, searching for opportunities to use it.
Hey! I can loiter in the Leatherman forum now also!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: March 23, 2013, 05:16:56 PM
Great on getting the surge! When you say there is a void in the pliers, there should be a small gap in the jaws, with only the very tip touching. Is that it?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #130 on: March 23, 2013, 06:15:05 PM
Exactly. Is that normal?
The stiffness is gone. I touched up the Torx screws with a T10 safety bit.
I believe you'll understand if I say that I play with it all day long. I look silly but I like the feel of it. The Surge is really the best option for someone that would get just one Leatherman (relying on Victorinox for other tools and tasks) as it contains all tools offered (except military ones I've no use for) and is as hefty as can be. I'm very pleased. I was fixated on Victorinox for decades and considered a Swisstool but the one hand opening and dual knife blades (an obsession of mine) gave me the opportunity to try the Surge and I am happy I did.

ca Offline Gopher

Reply #131 on: March 25, 2013, 05:50:28 PM
As a work EDC tool it's hard to go wrong with this tool.  I was issued a gerber, then a SOG.  I placed both in my kit bag and promptly marched myself into the Canex to buy a leatherman tool.

I have Put my surge thru 2 tours in Afghanistan, several exercises in the far north, and countless other work applications from opening ammunition crates to cutting my finger nails when I forgot to bring nail clippers on a trip.  I have used it to field dress the odd deer, rabit or grouse, to chip ice build up, or as of 10 minutes ago, to cut my sandwich in half.

I have placed a beating on this thing like a red headed stepchild daily.  To pry, hammer, scrape, twist, tweeze....You name it and I may have used my surge to do it.

The only complaint I have after dedicated years of service:

It is not the most comfortable thing to cut with for extended periods.  It digs into the hands.  This is easily solved by using gloves.

I wish there were a 154cm Blade version, or SV30.....It can dull up quick when doing heavy cutting. (it also takes and edge rather fast OTOH)

I wish Leatherman put out a dedicated metal cutting blade.  I get tired of making my own out of jigsaw bits.

Other than that, I must admit.  Dollar for dollar it has paid for itself 100 times over by now.  I wish I could get half the return in investment from other things I have purchased in the past that now sit quietly in a drawer somewhere.....   

So far, my only mod has been to turn the serrated blade into a plain edge.  Some days I actually regret doing it.  There are certainly some cases where serrated blades hold an advantage.

I will try to post some pics later.  I have to warn you though, it is not as shiny and nice as some of yours are.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:54:03 PM by Gopher »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #132 on: March 25, 2013, 06:28:48 PM
Welcome gopher to mto,look forward too pics :salute:
My surge went off to LM this morning as a few problems.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:36:48 PM by Zed »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #133 on: March 25, 2013, 06:52:31 PM
About that large screwdriver: it is very thick, it doesn't fit anywhere for screwing or prying. Has anybody proceeded to a modification of it as a thinner tipped driver or a chisel! I'd like something like the Swisstool's chisel-like tool.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #134 on: March 25, 2013, 08:40:01 PM
I found that large driver good for prying paint lids off,

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #135 on: March 25, 2013, 09:07:23 PM
Yes, but it doesn't fit into the gaps of two cans of polish I have here. Victorinox's box opener fits everywhere. Not a big deal. I'll continue using my SAKs for this. But I wide chisel would be something useful.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #136 on: March 25, 2013, 09:20:39 PM
Yes, but it doesn't fit into the gaps of two cans of polish I have here. Victorinox's box opener fits everywhere. Not a big deal. I'll continue using my SAKs for this. But I wide chisel would be something useful.

I don't suppose it would be hard to make a chisel  :tu:

ca Offline Gopher

Reply #137 on: March 25, 2013, 09:48:00 PM

Get a load of this poor soul.  Been through hell and back and still works great. It has loosened up almost to the point of being too much but the locks hold true. I do edc other tools when not in uniform and when smaller tools are more appropriate but for the big stuff nothing beats a surge except an actual wrench with a bag of screwdrivers.....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:50:52 PM by Gopher »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #138 on: March 25, 2013, 09:54:01 PM
Looks like a well used and trusted companion mate  :salute:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #139 on: March 29, 2013, 07:00:33 PM
Today I bought the Bit Extension and my Surge is now almost complete (I'll get a set of T- shank saws from Bosch next). But I had some problems.
The extension is very loose in the holder. For the time being I improvised a simple solution; I used a rubber band that provides friction in the holder and now it is impossible to slip off. The rubber band (black in the picture but a simple beige rubber was also tested and works) can be used on the pliers head in order to make it a vise-grip. But I wonder about your solutions. A mini Maglite fits better there but mine is modificated for astronomy and I use my iPhone as a torch.
Second, the Leatherman bits fit tight and the thin ones are difficult to remove. But the Hex bits are even more difficult. I realized that there is no magnet inside but a kind of spring. Will it get lose with time? If you push the bit more it dives inside (because it isn't double) and it can be removed only with the pliers with some difficulty (thankfully the pliers is available). So, is this normal and usual?
Far from these the extension works very well, also as a standalone driver. I am thinking about an accessory that would provide more torque in order to use it more as a standalone. Do you have a proposition for how could I do it?
Thank you!

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #140 on: March 29, 2013, 07:20:38 PM
I don't know how you would get more torque out of the extension - so, sorry.  However, I do know that the extension should fit in there pretty tightly.  I mean, I just checked mine and there is some wobble, but it should be reasonably tight.

Hex bits are rather tight and I've had to, at times, do a shirt-over-pliers move to take them out without gouging the bits.

I don't know; hope that helps...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #141 on: March 29, 2013, 07:37:53 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Get a load of this poor soul.  Been through hell and back and still works great. It has loosened up almost to the point of being too much but the locks hold true. I do edc other tools when not in uniform and when smaller tools are more appropriate but for the big stuff nothing beats a surge except an actual wrench with a bag of screwdrivers.....

Is your serrated blade worn  :think:

us Offline carlb

Reply #142 on: March 29, 2013, 10:53:57 PM
I've had my surge for awhile now and I've noticed quite a bit of movement in the scissor hinge (rivot)?) , the point at which the scissor action actually is. The blades have quite a bit of slop in them. It still cuts just fine, but I was wondering if this was normal. It has been like this since it was new.

NOTErized!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #143 on: March 29, 2013, 10:56:12 PM
@ Kukamunga

In my case the extension can't stay in place without the rubber.
I've seen somewhere an add on that provides a better grip. I'll search for it.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #144 on: March 29, 2013, 11:02:18 PM
@ carlb

My scissors have a play that vanishes when the spring is engaged.
The blades had some play, a great part of which is fixed with adjustment of the screws (10 Hex safety bit needed). When locked there's no play.
My Surge doesn't rattle as I've read at Grant Lamontagne's review. Perhaps they fixed that problem now (it is a 12/12 model and the review is a few years old).

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #145 on: March 30, 2013, 12:50:47 PM
I found a way, very easy.
Now,will the MIT bits fit?

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #146 on: March 30, 2013, 10:47:40 PM
@ Kukamunga

In my case the extension can't stay in place without the rubber.
I've seen somewhere an add on that provides a better grip. I'll search for it.

Well, I'm no LM expert, but to my mind you shouldn't have to mess with a brand new bit extender on a brand new Surge, right?  However, if it's a pain to send back, etc., etc. - then I guess you jury rig it.  But you shouldn't have to; seems something's wrong with the tolerances there.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #147 on: March 30, 2013, 10:50:46 PM
found a Like New Surge on Craigslist for $20. To bad its a bit to far to make it worth getting.  :twak:
I'm the milk man!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #148 on: March 31, 2013, 12:04:43 AM
The extender is OK, although there is some play. The holder in the seath seems a bit wider than what it should be. But I am happy with the solution I've found.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #149 on: March 31, 2013, 08:50:23 AM
Here is an idea for  using and storing the MUT  bits, bypassing the loose holder  at the same time:

http://blog.kotarak.net/2011/08/awl-modification-for-leatherman-wave.html

And here a modification of the pry blade

http://www.themodguys.com/2009/05/leatherman-punchdown-tool.html

I don't have the tools for either though.
IMG_6038.JPG
* IMG_6038.JPG (Filesize: 68.08 KB)
IMG_6044.JPG
* IMG_6044.JPG (Filesize: 103.98 KB)
leathermancompare.jpg
* leathermancompare.jpg (Filesize: 34.21 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%