Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pen knife blade: Least useful tool?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Pen knife blade: Least useful tool?
on: August 21, 2010, 02:27:20 PM
So how many people still use a quill pen?  Why retain the pen knife blade?  I use it sorta as a letter opener, but honestly, I would much rather have it replaced with the Alox inline awl.

Is it time for a shake up on the cellidor line?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: Pen knife blade: Least useful tool?
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:39:52 PM
I love to have one for whittling and delicate work . On my Ranger and Huntsman , I try to keep the penknife Uber sharp and in deep reserve . I still like em .

Chris

Offline sappyg

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 03:06:39 PM
i use my pen blade a lot. i think SAK puts too much belly on them so i take out nearly all of it and you get a fine point for super detail work. i'd rather have it then not.   
i

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:10:19 PM
The small blade is so far from the "least useful tool", this looks like a non-starter.

That said; if they want to start making some Cellidor variations with the 93mm style Reamer, I'm all over them!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:55:12 PM by ICanFixThat »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 03:27:15 PM
On cellidor SAKs that are 3 layers or larger, I find the eccentric placement of the penknife prevents it from being used effectively for delicate work.  I prefer an 84 mm or 74 mm regular blade for this sort of work.  On a 1 or 2 layer knife, the pen knife probably works well, but then I'd have to carry a second knife!  ;)

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 04:20:02 PM
I didn't think I would ever find it useful, but.. I would say it is actually now indispensable for me. Using a large blade on small things is a pain. That little blade with a keen edge on it is just perfect for things like cutting out a metal splinter from your palm. In fact, "self-surgery" may be it's niche.

G

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 05:56:21 PM
... but then I'd have to carry a second knife!  ;)

I wonder what life would be like with only 1 pocket knife.  :think:

Offline sappyg

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 08:24:20 PM

LOL... i have three on me now.
i

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 08:27:00 PM

LOL... i have three on me now.

Heh, I'm knifeless at the moment, though I have six within four feet of me, plus probably sixty or more elsewhere waiting for buyers... I really have too much stuff and not enough room. :/

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 09:05:01 PM
I love to have one for whittling and delicate work . On my Ranger and Huntsman , I try to keep the penknife Uber sharp and in deep reserve . I still like em .

Chris
+1 :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 12:06:15 AM
When I carry a SAK that has 2 blades I use the small one 99% of the time. It's just easier to use.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 05:44:20 AM
I used the small blade on my Champion I EDC all the time.

Today, exclusively used it to open MANY and NUMEROUS boxes of our house hold goods that were delivered this past Saturday after 3 years of storage in Topeka, Kansas.

It will be getting a GOOD workout for the next several days.

This Tuesday, our household goods from Korea, to include my massive SAK collection, arrives........

....and our garage already looks like a warehouse.   We are going to have to rent a storage unit for the next two years I am afraid.
MOLON LABE!

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 10:01:31 AM
So how many people still use a quill pen?  Why retain the pen knife blade?  I use it sorta as a letter opener, but honestly, I would much rather have it replaced with the Alox inline awl.

Is it time for a shake up on the cellidor line?

When it goes to the small blade, then there are of course many opinions:

1. Some people like the small blade for many reasons – you know – everybody has his own habits, preferences...
2. Some people don´t use the small blade and spare it as "emergency – always sharp blade" for unavaited situations.
3. Some people in contrary use always the small blade and the big blade have as "always sharp blade of unavaitend situations. The logic behind is, that when you are in a hurry and you want to use the blade, you quickly search for the main blade.
4. Some people have divided usages for both blades – some actions they do with main blade, some actions with big blade. (Usage tips of Victorinox prefer small blade for pencile sharpening. :-) )

4. Me. :D
a.
I personally was a long time in a group No. 2. – I spared the small blade as always sharp for unawaited situations. (That never came...) I always preferred the Vinox Small blade over the Wengers nail file. But then when I EDC-ed for a few weeks Wenger 85mm knife, I found that for me is more useful a semi-sharped (not too much sharped) file on 85mm Wengers. And I do really a lot of things with it!!! – But this is just my small habit that maybe would not be so common and suitable for other people.

b.
When I need a small blade for delicate job, there is always Classic SD or Serrated 65mm Esquire on my keys. So – no usage for a small Blade for me. :-)

(On sosakonline forum there were a picture of a mod a time ago where the small blade on 91mm knife was replaced with an awl from 93mm knife as you suggested here.)

(At least they could do small blade serrated or in other shape, or something...)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:07:20 AM by knyha »
F

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:00 AM
I'd rather they removed the large blade than the small blade. It's more precise, so it's easier to control. WHen opening packages and letters you don't end up stabbing the content to death with that 91mm machete. It's also alot less threatening, so using it in public is a lot safer than using the large blade.

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 11:36:56 AM
I'd rather they removed the large blade than the small blade. It's more precise, so it's easier to control. WHen opening packages and letters you don't end up stabbing the content to death with that 91mm machete. It's also alot less threatening, so using it in public is a lot safer than using the large blade.

So, you know from your experience that you should open packages with small blade - it is not for big blade.
(My semi-sharped file on Wenger would probably manage it too...)

91mm is machete????  ???  It is a small knife!
(Did you tried to spread the butter on a bread with it? Did you tried to cut the bread, apple with it? You would not manage it with small blade. And that are stupidly simple uses of the knife.)
The world is getting crazy with those sheeple, those when seeing a simple small pocket knife think, that they are in danger  :cry:

I am happy to live in a country without any stupid knife regulations. (But for how long?)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:41:38 AM by knyha »
F

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 12:16:48 PM
91mm is machete????

It is, because of

The world is getting crazy with those sheeple, those when seeing a simple small pocket knife think, that they are in danger  :cry:

:(

Offline Bladester

Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 10:34:23 PM
I'm in favor of 2 blades - 3 would be even better!  I'd prefer to have the small blade than scissors.  To each his own!  (And why there are so many different SAK's!).

--Larry

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 07:36:32 AM
91mm is machete????

It is, because of

The world is getting crazy with those sheeple, those when seeing a simple small pocket knife think, that they are in danger  :cry:

:(

That is not true. For a long years people lived with knives. but then people are getting sheeple... And they started to look at normal knives (that itself remained unchanged – the objective reality) as at weapons. So the knife (reality) is unchanged – it is still just the knife and no machete. Just thinking of sheeple is changed. – it is stupid.

If the people start to think that 1+1 is 3 – will it be the true? No.
So in simmilar way – objectively – a knife that is too small (or hardly sufficient) to cut the bread, to spread the butter etc. – is no matchete, but just the simple knife.

And what about kitchen knives? They are much longer and everybody uses them...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:38:16 AM by knyha »
F

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 12:00:50 PM
I think the small blade is quite useful. You need a large blade to cut an apple, but I prefer a small blade to peel it. Might be just me, but I can't do it good with a large blade.

Open packages, letters, peeling apples, and like others mentioned for precise cutting tasks. I don't want to be without the small blade (or the large blade, either).

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 03:13:18 PM
I carry a Compact currently, and am going to use it's guts to build a custom with no small blade.  I don't have them, but I'm kind of ambivalent to them, as I use the large blade for most everything I don't use a one-hand opening blade for. 

That being said, I also built a one-layer SAK with large and small blade to whittle with.  I usually use the large blade to whittle with as well, but the small does come in handy for some fiddly little detailing work, and a one-layer gives it pretty good ergonomics.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 11:17:01 PM
I use the small blade as more of a "utility" type of blade. (opening packages, etc...). I like to keep the large blade sharp and ready for bigger tasks when I need it.
"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD