Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Russell Barlow

Sean · 6 · 1837

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
A Russell Barlow
on: August 21, 2010, 06:17:29 PM
Ok, this one just came in the mail the other day.  It's a Russell Barlow, Green River Works, made in
Germany, using Solingen steel.  Never owned a Russell before and it's kind of a cool piece.  I picked it
up on the 'bay for 22 bucks so it wasn't at all expensive.  It will be a user like most of my knives and
tools.
I'm not all that thrilled with the fit and finish but it has good snap to the blades and is comfortable to
hold.  The blades don't center, and there is a good gap on one side of the end of the bolster.  Scales
on one side look to be sawcut delrin and the other interestingly enough I don't know some kind of
shiny sawcut... ?  Maybe 2xtap will know.
Anyhow I guess the biggest surprise for me is the fit and finish from this company is a bit of a fail
in comparison with whats coming out of China for half the price.  However, I'll be looking forward to
putting this folder to use and seeing how the Solingen holds up.
Russell 011.JPG
* Russell 011.JPG (Filesize: 43.21 KB)
Russell 010.JPG
* Russell 010.JPG (Filesize: 41.49 KB)
Russell 009.JPG
* Russell 009.JPG (Filesize: 34.13 KB)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: A Russell Barlow
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 06:57:03 PM
That's a real shame about the quality :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:22:00 PM
Mike, yes a bit of a surprise actually.  Not sure if it's indicative of this company generally,
I have an idea it's not.  Anyhow, it's still functionally sound and should make a decent
user.  :)

Offline sappyg

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 07:43:28 PM
best thing about it is that solingen steel. side by bide with your RR barlow i'll best the barlow blows it away.
i

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 08:37:20 PM
Sean,

Sorry to hear yours did not come as good as they usually do. Even the two I got a few years ago were overall real good in F&F, a couple tiny issues but nothing major. Here's a review of the two I have.....http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/822401/post/1526127/hl/Russell/fromsearch/1/#1526127

The handle material on your Barlow is actual Bone. They look a bit different because they ain't bookended well. I have alot of slippies like that myself. It's a common occurance.

As you like Barlows next time you are over on my Slippie Forum at KF check out a new post over there called "Kissing Crane Barlows". One of our members posted up a pic of a couple newer Kissing Cranes he has, both Barlows that he likes alot. Might be some you might be interested in.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 10:21:07 PM
Thanks 2xtap willdo.  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99