Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dave and Fiona go mad in Lakeland - Day 1

DaveK · 19 · 3181

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Dave and Fiona go mad in Lakeland - Day 1
on: August 25, 2010, 07:55:18 PM
As mentioned SWMBO and I grabbed the chance to take a short break in the English Lake District last week, and as promised, I managed to get a few pics together of our adventures (and we certainly had some adventures)!

Day 1

We arrived in the village of Ambleside during the late morning, checked into the B&B, did a bit of shopping, tried a couple of pubs (:P) and eventually started our route about 3 hours later than expected at 2:30pm ish!

I'd drawn up the route from an OS map, together with a Wainwright guide, which I thought would be about 9 or 10 miles which is the sort of distance we typically do. I hadn't however accounted for the fact that 10 miles around Lakeland Fells is a lot tougher than around the Peak District, so you'll notice that the pictures sort of stop as we decided it was time to concentrate on getting back down before it got dark and all the restaurants in the village closed!

Leaving Ambleside:

Passing High Sweden Bridge:

After a mile or so, the flat bottomed Scandale Bottom valley below Scandale Fell opened up before us - simply breathtaking and it's a shame that my pictures don't really do it justice. I hope you get a flavour though - I was bowled over!

We must have crossed Scandale Beck about a dozen times as we headed towards the increasingly scary climb into Scandale pass. It was scary partly because it was becoming obvious that it was to be hard work, but also I'd kind of assumed that it would easy enough to find the paths etc, and I did have a few doubts starting to form in my mind as we got closer :D

My navigational skills held good though, and eventually we reached the top of Scandale Pass and were confronted with more breathtaking views, and an extremely steep path to follow past Little Hart Crag :o

We had read in the Wainwright guide about what he considered to be one of the most impressive cairns in Lakeland. In the great man's own words:

This beautifully built 8' column, commanding a view of Scandale, is one of the finest specimens in these hills. It is more than a cairn. Its a work of art and a lasting memorial to its builder.

Although we were warned that it was a tough one to reach, we went for it anyway and scrambled all the way to the top! It was bloody hard going but well worth it as we reached the summit of High Bakelands:

Fiona added our little bit to the cairn - I'm sure the original builder wouldn't mind too much, especially as he's likely been dead for ages ;)

We then completed the last few hundred feet of ascent to reach the ridge that runs all the way along the top of Scandale Fell back to Ambleside. On the way down, we crossed High and Low Pike, but in fading light and concerned about the time, we got very few pictures as we marched down. I did get this one from High Pike however, which shows Scandale Pass rising in the middle distance and the route that we had taken. The Wainwright guide mentions a much more impressive cairn at High Pike than exists today, so we sat and pondered what may have happened to the one he knew for a few minutes before heading down to the village.

The GPS recorded about 9.5 miles, and about 3,200 feet of ascent, and I managed to take a fall on the way down which prompted me to buy some new boots the next day, but we'd thoroughly enjoyed day 1 as we tucked into our Indian meal that night (it was all that was open by the time we got back down :D)

The real adventure came on Day 2 though, so stay tuned ;)
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Dave and Fiona go mad in Lakeland - Day 1
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:00:02 PM
Look's like a proper day out to me mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:09:07 PM
Perfect - not a cobweb unblown after a stroll like that :D

I last bought new boots when I was up there too! There's so much lovely shopping to be done, especially a couple of cheaper places in Keswick.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 08:13:15 PM
I read the title and imaged the pair of you rampaging your way around here...

... but I see no trashing of Tupperware took place :(

Your day looks almost as much fun :P
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:18:51 PM
Lol.

Look's like a proper day out to me mate :tu:

Although we were happily unaware at the time - Day 1 was just a warm-up as it turned out .....

I last bought new boots when I was up there too! There's so much lovely shopping to be done, especially a couple of cheaper places in Keswick.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the prices of stuff tbh. I'd expected everything to be sold at a premium, but with every other shop selling gear - there were tons of bargains about. Being late in the summer helped too, as the shops were starting to get their winter stock in I think.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 08:29:56 PM
Looks like a great time!

Are you able to stop along the trail and prepare a light meal (Jetboil sorta deal) or are flames not allowed?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 08:33:46 PM
Technically, fires aren't allowed in most of areas (it varies as the Lake District is owned / managed by so many different people and organisations), but there'd be no problem firing up a Trangia or something I'm sure.

In practice, the places we went are so remote, nobody would catch you in the act anyway!

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 08:40:07 PM

Can't wait for part 2.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 10:18:03 PM
Those are great shots Dave of your adventure.   :tu:  I always enjoy these threads.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 10:27:04 PM
Looks like you had a great time Dave!!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 10:38:02 PM
Great pics Dave  :tu:

Looks like you had good weather too  :D

Quick question; how do you attach your GPS to the bag strap?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 10:40:10 PM

Magic :D

Actually, using one of these : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-GPS-Belt-Clip-eTrex/dp/B0000ATVQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1282768770&sr=8-2-catcorr

;)

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 11:00:08 PM
Nice idea  :tu:

Just found the same for mine, might look at acquiring one :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 11:18:16 PM
Nice idea  :tu:

Just found the same for mine, might look at acquiring one :D

Essential bit of kit for me that. I have a GPS pouch on each of my packs, but sometimes you want to be able to get at it quicker to check directions etc :)

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 11:23:25 PM
I have been clipping it onto a Grimloc when in use otherwise it goes in the Nite Ize case :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 11:25:59 PM
Oh you've got the new shaped Garmin - not sure how it would work with that  :think:

The main benefit of the clip I linked to is that it has quick release, which with practice you can do one handed. Very useful!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 11:49:45 PM

Magic :D

Actually, using one of these : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-GPS-Belt-Clip-eTrex/dp/B0000ATVQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1282768770&sr=8-2-catcorr

;)

Word of warning!  Watch that clip closely.  I had the similar Garmin clip for 60C while attempting a Mt. Adams summit with the family (Washington State).  On that particular failed attempt, we stopped for lunch, took some pics and suddenly realized that the weather had closed in and we were nearly in white out conditions.

We decided to beat a swift retreat.  Moving quickly down the mountain, I checked at one point and realized it had unclipped itself.  :o :ahhh.

I dropped pack turned around and raced up our packtrail before it got snowed in.  15 minutes upslope I found the stupid thing.  Headed back down, raced to the car in (now down lower) pouring rain.  We hit the highway east 20 minutes before the roads were closed due to mudslides.  We'd have been stuck there for days.

Instead, we stopped at the Big Horse Brew Pub in Hood River, OR and ate fish tacos and drank beer (at least those of us who are of age :D) and watched the weather pound the mountain.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 12:44:45 AM
Thanks for sharing love the pictures  :tu:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 12:35:08 AM
@Mr W - I think I linked to the wrong one actually! The one I have is pretty tough, but point taken!!

Oh - and Day 2 is now posted! http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,22418.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD