Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

If you were to have only one gun?

CQC-7 · 58 · 8729

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: If you were to have only one gun?
Reply #30 on: September 14, 2007, 06:52:19 PM
For those of you who don't know what an AR-7 is... here's a link

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

I like the AR-7 a lot.  The large stock takes a little time to get used too, and they definately can be picky ammo-wise... but once you get it dialed in, it's really nice.

Another one I really like is the Marlin Papoose.  

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/70PSS.aspx

After the 10/22, it's probably my 2nd favorite squirrel gun :)  Very light and compact, and fits into a backpack :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #31 on: September 14, 2007, 06:52:57 PM
Check this out, I found a thread about it on another forum, then went to the website to check it out. They also make a similar model in a non-takedown form.

Hahaha... you posted the link to the Papoose just before I did!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #32 on: September 14, 2007, 06:58:59 PM
Check this out, I found a thread about it on another forum, then went to the website to check it out. They also make a similar model in a non-takedown form.

Hahaha... you posted the link to the Papoose just before I did!

Great minds think alike...or at least like the same guns... :D Did you see the post I put up earlier about the Henry acu-bolt?
"

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #33 on: September 15, 2007, 06:28:12 AM
I just went back and looked at the Acu-Bolt.  Looks nice!  Although, I don't know about the 1 round capacity.  Do you have to hand load every round?

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #34 on: September 15, 2007, 12:17:11 PM
I just went back and looked at the Acu-Bolt.  Looks nice!  Although, I don't know about the 1 round capacity.  Do you have to hand load every round?

I believe so...no big deal for me though, I've been using a single-shot winchester model 67 since I was a kid, so I'm used to it. :) I like having the scope and the composite stock.
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: September 15, 2007, 02:18:25 PM
That reminds me of an amusing story...

In a discussion with a shooter from the US, he was making fun of Canadians because semi-autos in Canada are limited to ten rounds, while he had seventeen.  I listened to him go on and on about the Constitution, gun control, government oppression, yadda yadda yadda... all the while thinking that it is very rare in a police or military firefight, does anyone ever use more than two or three rounds, but in the end I just told him it's because we can aim better, and that we figure if we can't hit what we are shooting at in ten rounds or less, we don't deserve to hold a gun!

Shut him right up! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #36 on: September 15, 2007, 04:23:34 PM
I have a similar story

My friend was a police officer and we had an interesting discussion one day on the range.  He carried a Glock in .357 SIG as his duty weapon (it holds about 14 in the mag I believe) .  I said that if I was a cop I would carry a 4" S&W model 29 loaded with 6 .44 special HP's.  He told me that there was not enough ammo to handle some problems that a police officer could run into and that I would be outgunned.  I thought differently.  I explained that the S&W goes bang with 6 successive pulls of the trigger whereas that glock may go click in which case you have to rack the slide, etc.  He somewhat agreed with me and said "I guess if you cannot handle somthing with 6 rounds you probally should have had the shotgun out anyway."  Magazine capacity does not make a combat gun.  Accuracy and making your shots count does. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: September 15, 2007, 05:02:58 PM
Yeah, but some guys just need a bigger "gun."

If you are involved in something and two or three rounds aren't enough (or even the 6 in the average revolver, which everyone knows I prefer anyway) you probably should have had the sense to call for backup before going in.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #38 on: September 15, 2007, 06:27:10 PM
Yeah, backup would be a good thing.  Perhaps a swat team would be better.  I am not a cop but I would say that jobs such as serving a warrant and I do not mean only high risk warrants, chasing a fleeing armed felon, Suspicious activities investigation (such as a possible meth lab location) should only be handled by SWAT.  These are scenarios that have the highest probility of an armed encounter and guys that are dressed in body armor carrying "better" weapons are well equipped to deal with them. 

Back to the one gun thing.  I was thinking that a .50-58cal flintlock muzzleloader would also be a good tool.  There are no cartridges to run out of and if you were out of powder, you could just manufacture it in a few days.  As for the projectile, you could fire just about anything that will fit down the bore including river gravel amking for an effective shotgun.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #39 on: September 15, 2007, 06:43:44 PM
Haha... this thread took a weird turn.  The only reason I dislike the 1 round capacity is because sometimes squirrels move right before a shot (it's pretty frustrating :) )  I'd just like to have a follow up shot ready as quickly as possible :)

The Acu-Bolt looks like a heck of a nice rifle.  Any idea what brand of scope is on it?

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #40 on: September 15, 2007, 07:48:33 PM
Squirrel season is officially in in Ohio.  I am going to go out this week sometime if it is not too hot.  I am going to take my Ruger 10/22.  Head shots only. :twak:

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #41 on: September 15, 2007, 07:49:44 PM
Squirrel season started today in Michigan... I've got my daughter this weekend, and I've got to work, so I'm not sure if I'll make it out or not...

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #42 on: September 16, 2007, 03:52:31 PM
So they are safe for yet another week?  By the way, do you eat the enemy?

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #43 on: September 16, 2007, 04:11:54 PM
They're only safe for a few more days... I have plans to engage the enemy on Tuesday morning.

Hopefully, they're will be some squirrel stew cooking that night :)

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #44 on: September 17, 2007, 07:12:58 PM
"In my time you honored your enemy by killing him."
-Unknown

Now I guess you honor your enemy by killing and eating him. :)

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #45 on: September 17, 2007, 09:09:06 PM
-Unknown

Is that some kind of form of psycological warfare?  ;D
"

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #46 on: September 17, 2007, 09:14:56 PM
Haha... this thread took a weird turn.  The only reason I dislike the 1 round capacity is because sometimes squirrels move right before a shot (it's pretty frustrating :) )  I'd just like to have a follow up shot ready as quickly as possible :)

The Acu-Bolt looks like a heck of a nice rifle.  Any idea what brand of scope is on it?

Not sure, may have to do some more research. I'm trying to make a trip to the local bass pro and see if they've got on so I can put my paws on one for a closer look-see.
"

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #47 on: September 18, 2007, 07:00:42 AM
-Unknown

As disgusting as that sounds... it's true :P

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #48 on: September 18, 2007, 07:06:22 AM

Not sure, may have to do some more research. I'm trying to make a trip to the local bass pro and see if they've got on so I can put my paws on one for a closer look-see.

None of the ads I can find mention what brand the scope is.  I would assume that means it's some generic 4X no name scope...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: September 18, 2007, 01:44:10 PM
From Futurama:

Remember Fry, if you kill someone, don't forget to eat their heart to gain their courage- their rich, tasty courage... *slurp*

Def

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #50 on: September 18, 2007, 10:41:53 PM

None of the ads I can find mention what brand the scope is.  I would assume that means it's some generic 4X no name scope...

You're probably right...Hopefully I can get out over the weekend and see one in the flesh...I'll send back a report... ;)
"

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #51 on: September 19, 2007, 01:57:23 AM
If I were to buy a henry rifle, I would get a levergun.  I like the accubolt but I believe that there are better bolt guns out there.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #52 on: September 19, 2007, 03:25:23 AM
If I were to buy a henry rifle, I would get a levergun.  I like the accubolt but I believe that there are better bolt guns out there.

I'm still not sold on them, I'd just like to see one...any suggestions for a good 22lr with a scope mainly used for varmints and targets? I've got a winchester models 67 already, but it has no scope...and I don't want to mount one on it (sentimental reasons :)) Doesn't henry make a 22lr levergun with a scope? I thought I saw one on their site..
"

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #53 on: September 19, 2007, 06:46:27 AM
Yep, Henry makes a .22 Lever action... Here's a link  Henry also has their "Golden Boy" lever action in .22 along with an octagon barrel version.  They've also got a large loop lever carbine that looks pretty cool.

Ruger makes a .22 WMR Lever action... Here's a link.

Marlin also makes one... Here's a link.

Browning makes a couple different ones.  They have different "grades" of rifles... Here's another link!

Those are the ones I know of off the top of my head.  There's probably at least a couple more out there too.  You should be able to get scope mounts for all of those too.  (not sure about that though)

If you're looking for a .22, it's hard not to suggest a Ruger 10/22.  It's probably one of the best .22's made. 

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #54 on: September 19, 2007, 11:11:09 AM
Yep, Henry makes a .22 Lever action... Here's a link  Henry also has their "Golden Boy" lever action in .22 along with an octagon barrel version.  They've also got a large loop lever carbine that looks pretty cool.

Ruger makes a .22 WMR Lever action... Here's a link.

Marlin also makes one... Here's a link.

Browning makes a couple different ones.  They have different "grades" of rifles... Here's another link!

Those are the ones I know of off the top of my head.  There's probably at least a couple more out there too.  You should be able to get scope mounts for all of those too.  (not sure about that though)

If you're looking for a .22, it's hard not to suggest a Ruger 10/22.  It's probably one of the best .22's made. 

Thanks!  :cheers:
"

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #55 on: September 19, 2007, 03:57:00 PM
Your welcome!  If you get something... we'll need pictures :)

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #56 on: September 19, 2007, 04:54:53 PM
Your welcome!  If you get something... we'll need pictures :)

Deal!
"

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #57 on: September 20, 2007, 01:10:05 AM
I have a ruger 10/22 as well.  I shot the first barrel out because I shot it heavily probally close to 100,000 rounds out of it.  The action is fine I just had to get a newer barrel.  It is a nail driver now literally. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%