Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

VSAKCS members?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
VSAKCS members?
on: August 29, 2010, 03:22:05 PM
I know we have a few out there- I'm a member of the Official Victorinox Swiss Army Collector's Society, and I'm wondering how many other members we have here?

And if you aren't a member, why not?   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Re: VSAKCS members?
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 03:51:08 PM
I visited the site once but dismissed it as a amateurish organization because of the ridiculously bad web design. Call me crazy, but whenever I come across a site that looks like it's done by a 3 year old I run away at the speed of light. Especially with webshops and the like.
In today's tech society with a bunch of CMSes out there - some of which even being wysiwyg - there's no excuse for something that headache-inducing  :)

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 04:09:06 PM
Sometimes things in life are more important than web design.

Grant-How do we join?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 04:10:01 PM
I visited the site once but dismissed it as a amateurish organization because of the ridiculously bad web design. Call me crazy, but whenever I come across a site that looks like it's done by a 3 year old I run away at the speed of light. Especially with webshops and the like.
In today's tech society with a bunch of CMSes out there - some of which even being wysiwyg - there's no excuse for something that headache-inducing  :)

Uh, okay.... :P

The web designer is somewhat of a ninny, but that doesn't mean the organisation itself isn't worthwhile.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 04:51:32 PM
I'm sure that is true, but my general way of thinking with everything online is that if they don't bother spending a few hours making the site look nice, they're probably not very invested in the whole concept. Which, frankly, is backed up be details like the pricing information for the membership being from 2007. Until Grant posted this, I actually assumed the organization had come to a natural death 3 years ago based on that. That is further backup up with the classifieds section being practically dead (some postings, no "follow ups") and the fact that the place seems to completely lack a forum of any kind, which makes me wonder if the point of the membership is just to be a member and not interact in any way. This is yet further backup up with the lack of any news in the last 3 years. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $35 for something that...non existent. $30 for a MT.org Charter Membership seems like a much better way to spend some money.

Web design is also not a luxury, in many cases it's a necessity. Look at this for instance: http://members.sitegadgets.com/vsakcs/board.html
I have a seriously hard time seeing anything that is written with dark blue on black, and while white on black is readable it certainly isn't comfortable IMO

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 05:56:52 PM
The gentleman that runs the VSAKCS is an older, retired fellow who doesn't understand the 'net and computers in general.  The website has very little to do with him, and was designed/built by another fellow named James Christian.  I won't comment on the quality of the site, as it's none of my business, but you need to understand that the VSAKCS is not an online organization, rather it is comprised of quarterly newsletters (on paper and distributed by post) and special member offers.  You also get a membership package which includes a pin, sticker, membership card and some other stuff.

Since they are officially endorsed by Victorinox, they often have information that SOSAK (and Multitool.org) don't get until later. 

Zack- All the details on membership are available here:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=555&Itemid=35

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 07:34:37 PM
What Grant said. The President is more old fashioned newsletter type of organization and also helps with personal questions. He has extensive contacts with Ibach. The dues are easily worth it due to the yearly special club knife that is available only to members.

All the old newsletter can be purchased from him if you want and there is a wealth of info in them.

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:28:57 PM
Seems I missed that article on SOSAK. I had also wondered if VSAKCS was defunct due to the lack of updated info on their website.

Perhaps a sticky post here would be in order to inform everyone about VSAKCS. 

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 08:30:53 PM
I know we have a few out there- I'm a member of the Official Victorinox Swiss Army Collector's Society, and I'm wondering how many other members we have here?

And if you aren't a member, why not?   :pok:

Def

I'm member since a year and I've found lots of interesting informations in the newletters, especially in the old ones.
Dan the president is a very nice man and helped me with some questions.  :salute:
The club knives are always very nice and not expensive.  :gimme:

Sometimes I miss the online stuff and it would be cool if members could download the newsletters and other stuff.
But in my opinion, this is not a reason not to become a member.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 09:31:48 PM
I agree; membership is worth it!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 09:41:11 PM
I'm a member still, just.  I'm due for renewal but alas along with my collecting its a luxury and so will have to go on hold for the next half decade  :-\

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 09:51:32 PM
on hold for the next half decade  :-\

Wow! You plan on living that long? ???

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 09:52:22 PM

Five years?  I flippin' hope so :D

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 09:58:34 PM

LOL, for some reason I thought you put down century.

So WOW! You are going to be able to get out of debt in 5 years or less?

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 10:03:17 PM

LOL, for some reason I thought you put down century.

So WOW! You are going to be able to get out of debt in 5 years or less?

Yes, it won't be easy but I have everything set up in place. I'm looking forward to much bread and water :P

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 10:04:29 PM
Is there a thread in the break room somewhere that explains why you have debt?  ???

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 10:09:50 PM
He's a member of Multitool.org. :P Of course he has debt! :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 10:18:58 PM
Is there a thread in the break room somewhere that explains why you have debt?  ???

Nothing specific as it doesn't just involve me.  Needless to say I received some news in early June that made me do  :ahhh this a lot.  As I've mentioned before, I'm OK, my family is OK and we have a roof and food so its not the end of the world :)  I just have to forgo collecting for a few years and sadly I will have to sell off my existing collection.

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 11:13:28 PM
sadly I will have to sell off my existing collection.
I am not sure the word "sadly" could explain this action you were forced to take properly describes the actual pain involved.  :cry:

I have been watching in horror as your prize pieces are sold to the highest bidder. It must be like watching your children leave home or something like that. :ahhh

Anyway, back on topic about the VSAKCS. Yes, the website is barely there. Yes, it is hardly ever updated. No, the club is not defunct but is still intact and actively looking for members. The poor economy has been tough for everyone.   :-[

Remember, your "First" years dues include a special membership package that includes a special members only Classic SAK, a hat and/or lapel pin button, 4 issues to the quarterly produced newsletter "The Victorinox Blade" and the opportunity to purchase special club anniversary knives. I think the dues are $25 or $35 a year depending if your are inside or outside of the U.S.

I might mention too there is a classifieds section free for members to post in each issue of the newsletter. This is important to those members who are not or choose not to be involved in internet forums like this one.  :tu:

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 11:31:03 PM
Personally I'd be more willing to pay if this WAS internet based. I can't stand paper and I'd much rather pay to have access to a site with a news section updated by someone with a lot of contacts and knowledge than I would to get a piece of paper 4 times a year that's probably already outdated when I get it. That's just me though

BTW; there are a lot of people posting in this thread about becoming a VSAKCS member who aren't MT.org Charter Members  :oops:

Sorry to hear about your difficulties Neil, didn't realize that's why you were selling so much stuffFrom the vic pron thread the stuff for sale seemed like a very small portion, but of course not everythings up at once or anymore
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:32:58 PM by Andreas »

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 12:05:19 AM
I was in fact one of the first charter members but times got tough for my family and I had to let it expire. Now that things are getting better I plan on reupping my membership and thought I might add a few more while I am at it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 12:20:02 AM
I don't know the particulars with Neil's situation, but I do know one thing, I could never sell my collection off. I am not sure how Neil is doing it, but hats off to him for doing, what is in my opinion the supreme sacrifice.

As for VSAKCS, I don't have enough SAKs yet to be considered.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 02:08:56 AM
I don't know the particulars with Neil's situation, but I do know one thing, I could never sell my collection off. I am not sure how Neil is doing it, but hats off to him for doing, what is in my opinion the supreme sacrifice.

As for VSAKCS, I don't have enough SAKs yet to be considered.  :D[/s]

Seriously? o.o  Lol.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 11:04:29 PM
member here :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 09:38:12 AM
I had a look at the VSAkCS website, and that was all that I found about it. I felt like Andreas. Not enough information out there, looked like it was not worth the money. I don't have much money to spend, and first I will get a charter membership here, but after reading this thread, it might be worth to become a member over there, too. But not based on the information you get from their website  :think:

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 01:01:35 PM
I'm sure that is true, but my general way of thinking with everything online is that if they don't bother spending a few hours making the site look nice, they're probably not very invested in the whole concept. Which, frankly, is backed up be details like the pricing information for the membership being from 2007. Until Grant posted this, I actually assumed the organization had come to a natural death 3 years ago based on that. That is further backup up with the classifieds section being practically dead (some postings, no "follow ups") and the fact that the place seems to completely lack a forum of any kind, which makes me wonder if the point of the membership is just to be a member and not interact in any way. This is yet further backup up with the lack of any news in the last 3 years. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $35 for something that...non existent. $30 for a MT.org Charter Membership seems like a much better way to spend some money.

Web design is also not a luxury, in many cases it's a necessity. Look at this for instance: http://members.sitegadgets.com/vsakcs/board.html
I have a seriously hard time seeing anything that is written with dark blue on black, and while white on black is readable it certainly isn't comfortable IMO

Incredible blog you got there Andreas!

I am not a member of the Collector Society, it is the paper info that matters most for collectors. Small info with dates is sometimes very helpful.
Have learned that finding and getting information can be very hard! And If one is lucky to find the right people one can find help there. If one is very lucky to get a source from the factory you will be able to exchange this information to others, i remember that the Contact information for the collector society was listed at the Victorinox main site, so i guess that some premium information must have been sent over the years..

Best
NM
Get more tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 01:21:07 PM
I am very happy with SAKWiki for now as my main source for information. I don't see a need to become a member to another club.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 04:39:38 PM
Incredible blog you got there Andreas!

Thanks! Always nice to see someone actually reading it :D

So, who's going to join in on starting the Leatherman Society? :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 05:07:21 PM
Are buttless chaps mandatory?  :think:   :D

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 05:53:42 PM
Of course :D

Donations

Operational Funds