Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What SOGs have you got?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What SOGs have you got?
on: October 09, 2006, 01:37:09 PM
I see lots of folks posting about their Leathermans, SwissTools etc, but no one is saying much abotu their SOGs.

I currently have three PowerLocks (2x s-60's and an s-62 with v cutter), a Micro ToolClip, CrossGrip, CrossCut, ParaTool and a SwitchPlier.  Each one is pretty innovative, with some being more effective designs than others. 

Does anyone edc a SOG model, and if so, which one?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Re: What SOGs have you got?
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 01:40:57 PM
i've got a powerlock in my edc rotation and I like it.It feels like a big solid tool that can handle anything.I just wish thetools were a better size
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 03:32:26 PM
Well I have 2 powerlocks, and I "did" have a switchplier and a paratool but my dumb a@@ got rid of them, maybe I see some use of a cross cut or a cross grip in my future.

DavidBinGA

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 03:37:31 PM
Don't worry- the ParaTool is being well looked after...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 05:46:03 PM
i've got a powerlock in my edc rotation and I like it.It feels like a big solid tool that can handle anything.I just wish thetools were a better size

I have a SOG CrossGrip and an S60 PowerLock and agree with the above comments.

The CrossGrip has seen almost no use so far because I carry a full size plier multitool.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 07:09:19 PM
I haven't actually used my CrossGrip for much either, but it's such a nice little tool that I can't help playing with it all the time!

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 07:20:11 PM
I have a powerlock and some pocket powerpliers.  I like the powerlock alot.  I used it yesterday to put a book case together.  I dont have the crosscut or crossgrip.  But I think I'll have to get some.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 12:18:22 AM
The CrossGrip is a great tool if you think that the Juice is a little on the big side for EDC.  It's the perfect small multi IMHO.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 02:50:38 AM
I currently have three PowerLocks (2x s-60's and an s-62 with v cutter).........
Def

Is the V-cutter blade the only difference between an S-60 and an S-62 PowerLock?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 03:07:39 AM
And the corresponding lack of scissors...  but that's it.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 04:53:56 AM
How about a full-size SOG ToolClip? Anybody got one of those?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 06:24:52 AM
How about a full-size SOG ToolClip? Anybody got one of those?

Did they make one???
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 11:31:33 AM
Yes, but they are harder to find than the Micro.  I'd love to get my hands on one.
Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 12:59:47 PM
I know a guy who EDC's one, and he swears it is the strongest multi tool ever made.

Here's an old comparison photo I took about a year ago.
3sh.jpg
* 3sh.jpg (Filesize: 70.54 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 09:26:36 PM
I don't doubt for a second they are strong.  I'd put my Wenger's pliers up against any folding ones any day!

Def

Offline ac5

Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 04:45:40 AM
Good old Powerlock I'm playing with now (butterfly style) and a Para-tool I unsuccessfully tried to put a benchmade clip on I guess about a decade ago. Actually would haved worked but plier head got to loose and would open in pocket.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 03:34:39 AM
I'm a Leatherman guy from waaaay back, but as it happens, I'm on a SOG kick right now.

I own several: F65 Flat-Jaw PowerPlier, S44 Pocket PowerPlier (soon to be upgraded to full PPP Deluxe), S60 PowerLock (weird one missing the 1/4" adapter and scissors, but I just ordered the missing parts), B60 Black Oxide PowerLock, SwitchPlier, CrossGrip and CrossCut.

Not sure why, but lately I've been carrying the B60 when I'd normally carry my LM Charge, and it's really growing on me. I find I don't miss the one-hand open blade of the Charge or Wave as much as I thought I would, since I generally have a folding knife clipped to my pocket anyway.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 04:53:11 AM by Gryffin »

Offline Fishnuts2

Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 04:32:32 AM
I have a PowerLock, a Crossgrip, and a Paladin 525 (all SOG parts except for the pliers head with a great cutter area).  Crossgrip is fun to play with, but doesn't see much use.  I had a pocket power pliers but just sold it.  I prefer the Paladin model overall.
W

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 04:36:45 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on one of the Paladin models but that's not in the cards at the moment.  Of course right now I am pretty happy with the SOGs I have.

I really like the CrossGrip and CrossCut models and I was thinking of maybe doing a shootout with them and the Squirts.  The compound leverage on the CrossGrip really does bump it up to being more in line with the Juice series than the Squirt P4 though.  I'd like to see a full sized tool with a head like the CrossGrip's.  That sucker would be almost invinceable.

Def

us Offline Splat

Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 07:23:33 PM
I'm trying to patiently wait for SOG's Power Assist to come out, supposedly August. It looks tres cool, is an outside-opener, and come on....it's a SOG. Admittedly, it'll be my first SOG. I hope they push up the release date.
Splat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 07:35:18 PM
I hope so too, but I doubt that will happen.  Companies only push dates back because of problems.  I can't think of any dates (off the top of my head anyway) that were pushed up!  Maybe that should be their new ad campaign? 

Get the Tool that Finishes Early!

Def

Offline plowboy

Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 05:22:21 PM
I've got the Powerlock and Crossgrip.  The Crossgrip is an EDC piece.  I haven't used the Powerlock much, but it's not because I don't like it.  The pliers are very well done.  I understand that opinion varies considerably, but I don't like the clumping of the tools.  And, IMO, the tools are not as suited to my uses as those on the Swisstool Spirit.

My 6 year old son has absolutely fallen in love with multitools.  He also loves to cut things with scissors.  I got him the Crosscut and he carries it around the house...not to school.  He only looses it about once a day.  I've got a lanyard on it to help us find it.  So far he has been very responsible and hasn't had any accidents.  For Christmas he will also be getting a "My First Vic."

I'm looking forward to the new tool coming from SOG.  Projected date is August you say?  I can wait that long.  It'll be hard to beat out the Spirit anyway.
 :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 05:30:06 PM
Good to see you back again!

And good to see some folks are still teaching their kids about responsability with good (and sharp!) tools.  In my day I carried a SAK to school, but then I also never threatened anyone with it.  Back then, most folks had a pocket knife and it wasn't a crime! :P

A My First Vic is a very powerful tool, and probably will be one of the best things you can do for your son. 

Def

Offline plowboy

Reply #23 on: March 31, 2007, 11:38:20 PM
Thanks, Def...It's good to be back. 

I'm actually exicted myself about giving my son the "My First Vic" at Christmas.  I've already bought it and it's hiding in one of my dresser drawers.  I got it from Tim.

It's interesting to watch my son....If I show him a magazine page with several expensive custom or production folders and a SAK or multitool, he always chooses the SAK or multi.  Of course one of the SAKs he has really fallen for is the Wegner Collectors tools (that really big one that has every tool in it).  And that baby is an expensive SAK...he'll not be getting it....at least not from me.

Returning to the topic of this thread, SOGs are really well built tools.  I'm looking forward to the new release.
 :)

Offline supratentorial

Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 03:56:36 AM
I'm anxious to get one of the new wire strippers.  I tried to order one direct from SOG but they won't be available until June.

* wirestripper.jpg (Filesize: 53.15 KB)
SOG.jpg
* SOG.jpg (Filesize: 111.25 KB)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 05:11:07 AM by supratentorial »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 01:28:44 PM
Whoa! That wire stripper implement is a clever idea!

Boy, I sure do like seeing SOG forge ahead with all these new innovations this year!  :risa:

Offline zackhugh

Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 09:41:34 PM
Yeah, that wire stripper does look pretty cool.  Does anyone know which tool(s) will feature this?  It's a little difficult to tell on SOG's web site.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 03:24:11 AM
Yeah, that wire stripper does look pretty cool.  Does anyone know which tool(s) will feature this?  It's a little difficult to tell on SOG's web site.

I don't know.  It sounded to me like it might be an optional component (purchased separately).  It's difficult to tell from the photo but it might take up the spot of more than one implement like the PL scissors.  In that case it might not fit the PPP.  I'm hoping its backward compatible with version 1.0 of the PL.  I'll let you know when I get mine (hopefully in June). 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 03:26:19 AM by supratentorial »

Offline zackhugh

Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 03:53:56 AM
Thanks, I spent a lot of time on Google yesterday trying to get more info on this wire stripper implement--to no avail.  Yeah, please keep us apprised.  I'm sure there will be lots of interested people.

Offline AJ

Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 05:03:30 AM

Def

Die hard leatherman owner here, but that is changing fast.
Going to EDC the powerlock. It has a rock solid feel and I will be putting it to the test this summer. :)
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD