Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flashlight For My Mum?

jock1 · 22 · 3534

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Flashlight For My Mum?
on: September 13, 2007, 10:09:10 AM
Hi
I would like your opinions /advice regarding a new flashlight for my Mum .I have seen the Wolf eyes Sniper it seems small enough and if it lives up to it's claims it should be bright enough but if you guys can suggest anything better I am all ears.
Mum isn't in the S.A.S or anything she has a touch of arthritis in her hands(so bulky or awkward to use is off the menu) and her vision ain't to good in low light
Cheers

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Flashlight For My Mum?
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 11:11:43 AM
I'm not up on torches at all, but I would suggest the humble maglite solitaire :)

You can get it in any colour you/she want, the twist on/off is a godsend when you've got cold numb finger's, spare's are cheap and available, and perhaps most importantly its small and light enough to have it on you all the time, and there's a lanysrd to help with that too :)

I found this one ebay just now...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAGLITE-USA-SOLITARE-TORCH-KIT-BRAND-NEW-IN-SILVER_W0QQitemZ180157381121QQihZ008QQcategoryZ117110QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 11:23:40 AM
Cheers Mate I'll have look

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:24:53 AM
Cheers Mate I'll have look
Have you got a link to that torch you were talking about mate?

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:30:42 AM
I'm not up on torches at all, but I would suggest the humble maglite solitaire :)

You can get it in any colour you/she want, the twist on/off is a godsend when you've got cold numb finger's, spare's are cheap and available, and perhaps most importantly its small and light enough to have it on you all the time, and there's a lanysrd to help with that too :)

I found this one ebay just now...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAGLITE-USA-SOLITARE-TORCH-KIT-BRAND-NEW-IN-SILVER_W0QQitemZ180157381121QQihZ008QQcategoryZ117110QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'll second that...I EDC one all the time, it doesn't have the throw that my LED maglite has, but it works to find my keys in the dark or just to have light when I need it...plus, I can carry it wherever I go and it's tough as nails. Your mum can just put it on her keys an have it anytime. If that doesn't fit the bill, there are a lot of small LED's that work well...(maybe some type of faux-ton?) If you need something larger, maybe a LED mini-mag, not as small as the solitaire, but still doesn't take up a lot of space...fits nicely in a bag or purse. I've got a regular mini-mag with a nite-ize 3-LED upgrade and I swear by it. It's reliable and relatively low maintenance.
"

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 12:56:10 PM
I've got a regular mini-mag with a nite-ize 3-LED upgrade and I swear by it. It's reliable and relatively low maintenance.
I use one of those as the head light on my bicycle, pretty good bit of kit :)

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 01:05:16 PM

Pretty inexpensive, too. 8 bucks for the light and 5 for the upgrade, saves about 15 bucks vs. buying a "true" LED maglite...guess that breaks down to about 8 or so pounds on your side of the pond...I"m not too sure about the exchange rate... :D
"

Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 01:20:04 PM

Pretty inexpensive, too. 8 bucks for the light and 5 for the upgrade, saves about 15 bucks vs. buying a "true" LED maglite...guess that breaks down to about 8 or so pounds on your side of the pond...I"m not too sure about the exchange rate... :D
Your forgetting the epic Uk price mark up ;D All told I think it cost about £20 or $40 dollars ::)

Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 01:21:46 PM
the exchange ratet the moment is roughly 2 dollar's per pound, but then your one dollar goes alot further ::)

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 01:32:28 PM
the exchange ratet the moment is roughly 2 dollar's per pound, but then your one dollar goes alot further ::)

Could it be due to the fact they're imported? ???

I'm not very good when it comes to the whole import /domestic thing...unless it comes to beer :cheers:
"

Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 01:40:46 PM

Could it be due to the fact they're imported? ???

I'm not very good when it comes to the whole import /domestic thing...unless it comes to beer :cheers:
Put another way, we the opressed people of the Uk know our blessed country as rip off britain >:( after switzerland, were the most taxed nation on earth. we basically pay between one third and one half more than you for the same good's, it's not the retailer's fault it's the goverments  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

It's just not fair :'( :'( ;) ;D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 04:35:49 PM
How about one of the small Fenix lights? They do a single AA that is roughly the same size as a solitaire but much brighter. More expensive but i think it would be worth it.
http://qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=32
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 05:04:07 PM
How about one of the small Fenix lights? They do a single AA that is roughly the same size as a solitaire but much brighter. More expensive but i think it would be worth it.
http://qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=32

Wow...hadn't seen one of those...I may have to look into that. Thanks!
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 05:22:41 PM
Fenix are pretty darned nice...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 12:17:17 AM
Cheers gyus
Had thought of maglites but they sre not bright enogh It will need to be a T.A.C style flashlight Def Iwill take alook at the FENIX cheers

Offline MacTech

Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 08:43:38 PM
the Mag Solitaire is *PATHETIC*, dim, yellow light, useless "focusing" system, it's an outdated, useless light, there are many other better options

Dorcy 1AAA
Fenix E0/E1/L0x series
Arc AAA
Fenix L1x/L2x series
Inova X1
MiniMagLED 3AA (the 3AA is semi-regulated and dims slowly over time, the 2AA is regulated and has an abrupt cut-off when the batteries get too low, no warning, the light just goes *out*)
Mag 2C with MagLED drop-in module

Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 10:48:13 PM
the Mag Solitaire is *PATHETIC*, dim, yellow light, useless "focusing" system, it's an outdated, useless light, there are many other better options

Dorcy 1AAA
Fenix E0/E1/L0x series
Arc AAA
Fenix L1x/L2x series
Inova X1
MiniMagLED 3AA (the 3AA is semi-regulated and dims slowly over time, the 2AA is regulated and has an abrupt cut-off when the batteries get too low, no warning, the light just goes *out*)
Mag 2C with MagLED drop-in module
Do i take it you don't like maglite's then ??? ;) ;D

Offline MacTech

Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 10:59:39 PM
Maglites (with the exception of the Solitaire) are okay, a good, solid light, nothing special though, here in the States they're as common as dirt, they are a well-built, basic light though

what I *DON'T* like is Anthony Maglica's propensity for "Innovation Via Lawyers", Mag sues companies selling "competing" products at the drop of a hat, Maglica's a jerk, but the light is solid

Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 11:04:37 PM
Maglites (with the exception of the Solitaire) are okay, a good, solid light, nothing special though, here in the States they're as common as dirt, they are a well-built, basic light though

what I *DON'T* like is Anthony Maglica's propensity for "Innovation Via Lawyers", Mag sues companies selling "competing" products at the drop of a hat, Maglica's a jerk, but the light is solid
Yeah the guy does like the sound of his own voice doesn't he ;D

I'm a bit of a luddite when it come's to torches, but I do like the solitaire, but I'm under no illusions that there are far better torches out there.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 01:22:49 AM
I don't know how much you want to spend, or how soon you need it, or if you can get a hold of LRI (Photon) products, but... :D These two new products seem pretty neat, especially the Proton for your mom. It's small, should be quite bright, uses 1 AA, and has one easy click button that does it all. It's about half way down this page:
http://www.equipped.org/ORSummer2007.htm

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 07:32:03 PM
Thanks to all who posted here
I tried the site that DAMOTA recommended and have found a flashlight that suits for brightness and width it's one of there own brand but it's broad enough so it doesn't lead to cramp of the hand after holding it for a while and bright enough to blind any of our local neds who bother her
Thanks Again

Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 08:41:25 PM
Thanks to all who posted here
I tried the site that DAMOTA recommended and have found a flashlight that suits for brightness and width it's one of there own brand but it's broad enough so it doesn't lead to cramp of the hand after holding it for a while and bright enough to blind any of our local neds who bother her
Thanks Again
Cool, I'm glad you've got your mum all square in time for the long winter nights :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
December Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: $61.00
PayPal Fees: $3.81
Net Balance: $57.19
Below Goal: $242.81
Site Currency: USD