Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Squirt ES4/PS4 Owner's Club

Andreas · 364 · 68319

Offline Cleanser

Re: Squirt ES4/PS4 Owner's Club
Reply #120 on: March 25, 2011, 03:11:03 PM
Cyclone,

I own two PS4 and for comparison to yours and to themselves, I can say that:

Both have pliers that meet at the very tip (can hold normal printer paper..) and a gap starts to appear as the pliers move toward the pivot point.

Neither have pliers that are lose with side to side movement.

One has scissors that have side to side movement, while the other has scissors that has no side to side movement.

The scissors on both need to be pushed the whole way to get them to go back in (they do not snap shut like on a swiss army knife). As for the scraping/hitting - if you look down in to the handle you will see that there is a plastic liner that has a slope to it which is suppose to help guide the scissors as they close.

Edit: what I wonder about the scissors is if the spring bar will eventually break off. I have a wenger swiss army knife that has similar sized scissors but a lot more robust spring bar.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:15:28 PM by Cleanser »

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #121 on: March 26, 2011, 03:39:37 AM
Neither have pliers that are lose with side to side movement.

One has scissors that have side to side movement, while the other has scissors that has no side to side movement

Damn looks like i got a dud then. They definietly have that dreaded wobble at the plier pivot. Scissors are horrible to be honest.

Not sure if i can or should do anything about it. It was from a business on ebay Australia. If it has to be sent back to LM usa that could take ages to sort out.

I will hope i got a dud and will still try another one and some other leathermans but if i keep finding more doggy Leathermanslike this with loose pliers i dont think i will get any more and will stick with Victorinox tools. There are plenty of cheap brands out there you can buy with faults like sloppy pliers. I have got 2 LM mini tools on the way so i hope they are alright and it just proves my squirt just wasnt quite right.

I assume these are hand built so why dont they feel these things when inspecting them? surely they would feel the rock in the pliers and be not happy to send that out? If they are loose brand new they are only going to get worse with use.

um Offline mzil

Reply #122 on: March 26, 2011, 04:10:29 AM
Certain features of certain models of LM may be hand assembled and inspected but much of their factory is completely automated and robotic. There's a video of it all I'm sure some multi tooler dude with a better memory than mine will be linking to shortly....

As for the play in the hinges I never even noticed any  and have thought of my PS4s as being quite comparable to my half dozen or so other LM tools. Of course now that you point it out however I see there is a bit of play in the scissors but it is of little concern, they are sharp and cut through several pieces of paper with little effort or difficulty, and as for the scrape you encounter when returning them to the body, I have none. Being as small as they are they do seem a bit of an afterthought compared to my Micra, S4, or Style CS scissors but those are all primarily scissors based so it doesn't surprise me.

I only just now dug out my old SAKs (sorry I don't know their model numbers but we could figure it out if need be) which are the comparable length to the PS4 and both of their scissors, hardly ever used, both have noticeably more play to them.

My PS pliers have virtually zero play in the pliers hinge, will grip a single sheet of paper tightly [at least if the front tip is used as well], and a side examination by holding them up to the light of my computer screen as a rear illumination shows the gap between the upper and lower teeth to be very small. The only thing I have on hand skinny enough for them not to grip between the upper and lower teeth is a human hair.

The very tip of the pliers meet perfectly and will grip a human hair tightly, however, so in a sense they could double as tweezers.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 04:16:29 AM by mzil »

Offline Cleanser

Reply #123 on: March 26, 2011, 06:01:26 AM
Cyclone,

Another thing to consider is if they'll fix it or replace it if you send it back (replacements likely having rivets). Since it is a model with screws, maybe you can convince them to send you replacement pliers and scissors instead?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #124 on: March 26, 2011, 09:23:03 AM
It does sound like you've got a duffer mate. :-\  I'd perhaps try the company you bought it from and see if they'll replace it and deal with sending it back to LM.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #125 on: March 26, 2011, 10:58:09 PM
Good grief,I must be a club member!I bought a PS4 on a whim back in December.It currently recides in my Emergancy Tin :D

On another vaugly related note,I bought a Gerber Clutch this week(mostly as a result of Chakos excellent review of the Bear Grilis tool(s).The PS4 is IMO far better even though it is £20 or so more expensive.

I got my PS4 from Blacks(one of the OutDoorsy fashion shops in the UK) for a penny shy of £30
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:33:53 PM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #126 on: March 27, 2011, 12:09:20 AM
Kirk, would you mind giving a list of what all you keep in your tin?  It looks neat. :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #127 on: March 27, 2011, 12:26:14 AM
Kirk, would you mind giving a list of what all you keep in your tin?  It looks neat. :tu:

No problem!

LM Squirt PS4
6x inbuprofen tabs
Whistle
lighter
Lenser torch(V2 as far as I can remember)
2xmini S-binders
Waterproof capsule holding £20
bunch of elastoplasts
2xsalt sachets
2xhand whippes
needle and thread
tube of superglue(missing as if got used today to repair a Harry Potter Phenoix)
2xelastic bands

Its got most of the stuff I reckon I'd need in London if a bit of Smurf hits the fan!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #128 on: March 27, 2011, 12:42:23 AM
Thanks, Kirk; it looks well thoughtout. :)  I don't know what I'm more jealous of:  your little kit, or knowing you have a Phoenix. :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #129 on: March 27, 2011, 12:46:25 AM
Thanks, Kirk; it looks well thoughtout. :)  I don't know what I'm more jealous of:  your little kit, or knowing you have a Phoenix. :D

Lol Its the kit....you end uphaving clean ashes up all the time with the Phenoix!

um Offline mzil

Reply #130 on: March 27, 2011, 04:35:03 AM
Kirk, I'm intrigued by your tin's rubber gasket. Is she watertight and what sort of vessel is she?

Offline Cleanser

Reply #131 on: March 27, 2011, 05:52:37 AM

it appears to be a BCB international combat survival tin

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #132 on: March 27, 2011, 09:20:58 AM

AFAIK those are just what we think of as tobacco tins, like these: http://www.roll-ups.co.uk/ishop/879/shopscr341.html

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #133 on: March 27, 2011, 09:26:08 AM
AFAIK those are just what we think of as tobacco tins, like these: http://www.roll-ups.co.uk/ishop/879/shopscr341.html
The "Baldwin's Nervous Pills" are great..  :D :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #134 on: March 27, 2011, 05:53:03 PM

Give the man a cocanut!

um Offline mzil

Reply #135 on: March 28, 2011, 02:46:09 AM
I've asked in a few smoke shops that actually sell raw tobacco if they sell empty tobacco tins and they look at me like I'm from Mars and that it is an absurd question. :-[ {I think ziplock bags are what they sell their product in these days, around here, at least}

Google searches of US companies usually turns up nothing but collectible antiques. Anyone here know of a source for new tobacco tins in the US?

Edit to add: There is a place called "Best Glide" which sell what looks to be a BCB Survival tin for 5 dollars but their shipping charge is $7 !
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:58:44 AM by mzil »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #136 on: March 28, 2011, 06:53:40 PM
I've asked in a few smoke shops that actually sell raw tobacco if they sell empty tobacco tins and they look at me like I'm from Mars and that it is an absurd question. :-[ {I think ziplock bags are what they sell their product in these days, around here, at least}

Google searches of US companies usually turns up nothing but collectible antiques. Anyone here know of a source for new tobacco tins in the US?

Edit to add: There is a place called "Best Glide" which sell what looks to be a BCB Survival tin for 5 dollars but their shipping charge is $7 !

Dont know if this helps,but its the tin I bought for my little kit
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200535997941&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

um Offline mzil

Reply #137 on: March 28, 2011, 10:52:55 PM
Kirk, thanks. Looks good but all the sources I find are UK based. I guess I could evenentually find one that ships to the states but then, once again, the sipping greatly exceeds the unit's price. Oh well.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #138 on: March 29, 2011, 01:22:04 AM
Sadly I remember when you could buy these tins of tobacco (Golden Virginia) from any corner shop.  Not sure that's the case any more though. :-\

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Re: Squirt ES4/PS4 Owner's Club
Reply #139 on: March 29, 2011, 01:24:56 AM
Kirk, thanks. Looks good but all the sources I find are UK based. I guess I could evenentually find one that ships to the states but then, once again, the sipping greatly exceeds the unit's price. Oh well.

Didn't countycomm sell those tins? And sharpdogs over at edcdepot had some. Plain ones though. You could use an altoids tin too. I have a fishermends friend tin for the same purpose.

Oh, BTW. I'm a member too, have a black PS4 and love everything exept the bottle opener, that was a real dissapointment. :(

Edit: links to the tins

http://edcdepot.com/hingedmetaltin.aspx

http://www.countycomm.com/tin.htm

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:41:09 AM by enki_ck »

scotland Offline colinoutdoors

• Colin
Reply #140 on: July 17, 2011, 11:44:27 AM
Count me in  :)

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #141 on: July 17, 2011, 06:27:29 PM
Here is my Black PS4.   It is the perfect bathing suit carry MT.  So far it has been in the Caribbean, Lake Michigan and several inland lakes in Michigan and the northwoods of Wisconsin.

Its pretty much just a stock PS4 except that I changed it from a chisel ground blade by putting a small bevel on the flat side with a Spyderco Sharpmaker.   The lanyard is made from tan/black paracord tied with a lanyard knot.

Tick Magnet

us Offline Randyc1974

Reply #142 on: July 17, 2011, 09:25:22 PM
My PS4 is my EDC key chain multi-tool. Thanks to Andreas and his cool Youtube videos, I did the
full size bit mod. It works great for light duty repair jobs around the house or anywhere else for
that matter. I also EDC a small bit kit to go along with the PS4.

scotland Offline colinoutdoors

• Colin
Reply #143 on: July 17, 2011, 09:26:26 PM
That is a very cool mod for a great tool, nice one mate.

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Reply #144 on: July 17, 2011, 10:35:02 PM
Count me in.  I have two ES4 and on PS4.
 :multi:

br Offline guaxini

• New User
  • The best tool is the one you have
Reply #145 on: November 03, 2011, 06:19:51 PM
Another proud squirt ps4 owner joining the club, look how awesomely tiny it looks on my hands!!

You don't even notice it is on your pocket!
IMG0046A.jpg
* IMG0046A.jpg (Filesize: 57.74 KB)
IMG0047A.jpg
* IMG0047A.jpg (Filesize: 52.22 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #146 on: November 03, 2011, 06:47:35 PM
Having pics in your first post is the perfect way to start here guaxini, I think you'll fit right it. :D 

Welcome to the club and welcome to the forum. :cheers:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #147 on: November 04, 2011, 03:26:25 AM
Greetings guaxini, and welcome to the club! :multi:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline tattoosteve99

Squirt ES4/PS4 Owner's Club
Reply #148 on: November 05, 2011, 01:41:26 AM
Ok another member here. I got a nib black ps4.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #149 on: November 05, 2011, 03:02:05 AM
Ok another member here. I got a nib black ps4.

Welcome to the club. The PS4 is one of my favorite tools.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69