Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

how the he$# do you sharpen d2?

jim guy · 23 · 16287

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
how the he$# do you sharpen d2?
on: September 08, 2010, 02:41:28 AM
Ok first let me say I know how to sharpen knives. Be it on stones, sharpmaker or croc sticks. I got a couple of nib benchmades with d2, out the box they aren't very sharp at all. So I run them across the sharpmaker, nothing. Black razor stone samething. Can d2 be made scary sharp? I can get s30 and 154cm so sharp it will pop hair off your arm. This d2 crap is making me very mad!

us Offline Tsquare

Re: how the he$# do you sharpen d2?
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:46:45 AM
I heard it was hard.  Have any diamond rods?

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 02:47:50 AM
Are you actually hitting the edge or the shoulders?  I've had D2 knives and they can be difficult to sharpen, but they hold the edge well.  Its just like me and VG10 though...I can't sharpen it to save my life.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 02:48:18 AM
D2 is... really, really hard to sharpen.  Just do what you did with S30V and 154CM, but about 5x longer.

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:54:12 AM
I have a smiths set with diamonds but I only use them to
 reset edges or rough edges. I can't get a super sharp edge with them. I can get the d2sharp just not shaving sharp. My sharpmaker is polishing the edge it just won't get very sharp. I'm starting to hate this stuff.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:04:53 AM
Easy, send them to me for proper disposal. :p

The key to sharpen super hard steel is to establish an edge angle, then sharpen at higher microbevel angle (I use 20° and 30°) so you don't have to remove a lot of metal. You will need to periodically reestablish the edge angle but makes sharpening a lot easier.

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:11:56 AM
Can d2 actually be brought up to the same level of sharpness as say 154 ? I'm asking because I have 3 benchmades with it, all new out of box. I have a bunch of benchmades with 154, ats34 and 440c and all of them are shaving sharp out of box, not so with the d2.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 04:16:57 AM
I've sharpened D2 , 154CM , S30V , A2 etc etc on a Spyderco Sharpmaker without any significant problems . D2 is good stuff , but being a die steel it is intended to ne very abrasion resistant .

Chris

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 04:17:10 AM
I've never used BM's D2, only Kershaw's. You can't get it as a fine edge as other since it's a coarse grain steel, but you should still be able to shave with it, try strop with green polishing compound as final step and see if it helps.

Not sure if it's related but I could never get BM's 154CM as sharp as I could spydeco's VG10 either.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 04:25:04 AM
I've only one knife in D2 a Paramilitary.  It is very sharp, but I haven't really used it to warrant
a sharpening.  I know some of the Benchmades do not come all that sharp, like some of
other manufactures as well I'm sure.  It seems to have been a point of discussion occasionally
on blade forums.  I have a few Benchmade knives, two Griptilian's, and the one thing
I've noticed is they lack bevel.  How are your knives your trying to sharpen do they have much
of a bev?  If not you might have to work at putting one on via a Lansky system or something
similiar then try your stones?  I think Jzmtl was on the right track there with his thoughts.  :)

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 04:30:26 AM
The 2 infidels don't have much of a bevel. The 32 balisong has a good bevel, haven't checked the specific degree though.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 05:58:13 AM
yeah you might be at it awhile, d2, s30v, zdp steels are tougher to sharpen than the usual fare.

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 11:42:11 AM
The magic word to sharpen D2 (and various other hard & wear resistant steels) is diamond.
Well, that and the good part of an afternoon,  :D

Here is my Queen Cutlery Country Cousin Sodbuster in plain D2
These are very good knives for the money with excellently hardened steel, but also notorious for having a butterknife edge straight from the factory.
Which mine did too by the way.

This is my example now, with the edge reset to 30 degrees inclusive on a Wicked Edge knife sharpener up to 600 grit diamond, after which i removed the burr on a leather strop loaded with green compound.
The result is a biting edge that shaves hair above skinlevel.

And because there is no lock i can take this knife with me when i plan to visit England sometime next year.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 01:13:49 PM
The only D2 I have in on my Paramilitary. I resharpen it ever now and then and maybe there is a difference between regular D2 and CPM D2. I have no sharpen issues and I can go along time before it needs to be sharpened again. I make sure to pay attention to the 30 degree and the 40 degree angles and make sure I am doing both blades and shoulders. I just got some diamond rods for the sharpmaker just in case I run into a situation where I might need them but the situation has yet to appear. I also have no trouble with S30V, guess because I am obsessed with sharpness and never let me knives get too dull and I keep the edges topped off or something.

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 03:14:17 PM
Yeah I never let mine get dull either. These are fresh out the box and there dull. I finally got the balisong sharp, it took 150 passes on the sharpmaker!
  :o

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 03:24:45 PM
Ya think D2 is bad , you should try M2 . As JZ said , D2 can profit from a good stropping , this also goes for S30V .

Chris

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 04:22:36 PM
If m2 is worse than d2 I will avoid it like the plague!  :D

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 08:36:47 PM
I have never tried m2 but have tried m4 and found it a pleasure to sharpen. 

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 02:03:43 AM
I use the Deluxe alligner system http://www.dmtsharp.com/general/featured.htm#product1
But I will tell ya it takes 20 strokes with every stone in the kit per side. Do not let them get dull or it will be the death of you/ And yes you can get them extreamly sharp. My D2 griptillian is a awsome cutter, and it lasts a LONG time!
S

us Offline django.cj

Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 02:09:02 PM
Ive moved past my fascination with "high end steel". My fascination just turns to frustration when I end up with a blunt edge that doesn't sharpen. I have a drawer filled with blades that I never use anymore.

It probably sounds like heresy, but the steel used in SAKs is my favorite. It lasts long enough, and takes up a crazy sharp edge with no effort.

us Offline specgrade

Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 06:00:01 PM
 I use a bench belt sander with good results. It sounds a bit extreme but it works.

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 01:01:59 AM
my new found friend bladesmith John Fitch said he would reprofile the edges for me. He said the would be easier to sharpen then :tu:

us Offline Splat

Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 04:40:52 AM
Paper wheels! They'll handle D2 just fine. I just did my buddy's D2 Paramilitary in less than 5 minutes on paper wheels. Shaves hair easily. Since switching to them my Edgepro has been collecting dust. Now, I won't sell it, but I must admit I can't see going back to it anytime soon.
Splat

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD