Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Removing knife from Core

Offline themonsteraria

• New User
Removing knife from Core
on: September 09, 2010, 10:58:25 PM
Hello everyone.
I've used this forum for years, but I finally have a question that someone hadn't already answered, so I had to register.  :)

I work at in the automotive field, and I have carried my Leatherman Skeletool for about a year and a half now, but I decided
that I needed something a little bigger, so I picked up a Core.  I love it.  Great tool.
Anyways, I carry it on my belt because it's kind of big and heavy (both good things), and I got in trouble because
my boss saw me carrying it, and told me I can't carry anything with a knife at work.  I guess he never
saw my Skeletool since it was in my pocket......   :multi:
So I don't want to give up the Core, and I've grown attached to it.  Is there any way to remove the knife and replace it with another tool?
Or could I just put a washer in it's place and leave that spot blank?

Thanks for any assistance!

T-man

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Re: Removing knife from Core
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 11:18:50 PM
Hello everyone.

So I don't want to give up the Core, and I've grown attached to it.  Is there any way to remove the knife and replace it with another tool?
Or could I just put a washer in it's place and leave that spot blank?

Thanks for any assistance!

T-man
Themonsteraria, you can do either or. While there are some tools that would be a direct swap for the knife, with exception to a few tools, your core pretty much has most of them already. You can always mod another tool that you don't have to fit as well. Worst case scenario, yes, you could just use a washer(s). Try and match the thickness as best you can and make sure the outside diameter isn't so big that it makes contact with the tab lock. Hope this helps.....

~ evil ~
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:21:36 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:48:45 PM
Welcome to the forum T-man :cheers: It's a shame that you can't carry a knife at work :( What do you do when you need to cut something?  evil510 knows his stuff :tu: hope it helped :) me I really don't know what I would do :think: Maybe some more ppl will be by so you can have more options :tu:

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 12:04:42 AM
I hear about this sort of thing a lot and the only way around it is to conseal-carry, i.e. choose something that fits in your pocket and not on your belt.  :tu:
SAW

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 03:36:00 AM
That is rough.

I'm also not "allowed" to carry knives at work. I just carry my stuff and everyone knows better than to bother me about it, since at some point I have used one or more of my tools to bail everyone out of a tight spot.

Hopefully your boss will come to realize his mistake and retract his decision about your MT.
(insert witty quote)

us Offline specgrade

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 10:06:43 PM
 To be really "knife less" you would also have to take off the serrated blade and don't forget the saw. What do you do for a living, just curious. Okay I saw "automotive field". I'm not sure what that means. Do you wash the cars, work on them, sell them? Knives are tools unless you have some criminal background.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks the Core is heavy, compared to the Micra, maybe? I barely notice my Core on my belt and I'm medium build.

Throw a spoon on there, that would be cool  8)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:11:33 PM by specgrade »

Offline themonsteraria

• New User
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 01:30:55 AM
Thanks for the reply's everyone. Good info....

Specgrade, I sell auto parts at Advance Auto.  They have a no knife policy that applies to everyone, criminal background or not....   Also, the Core is heavy to me just because I'm used to EDCing a Skeletool. 

Asupernothing; my boss is doing something similar.  I installed a a battery the other day for a lady with my Core, and ever since, he hasn't bothered me about it.  :tu:  Another time, a guy had a window motor that he needed to exchange, but he needed the drive gear off it, so I pulled out the Core, bada boom bada bing, done.   :multi: 

Evil510: Thanks for the suggestions.  I was gearing up to take apart the Core the other day, but then it hit me: If I do, I won't have the warranty.  :ahhh   I plan on having this tool for many years to come, so I don't think I'm gonna modify it.  I'm the kind of guy that carries my Leatherman everywhere, and uses it for everything/anything, so having a warranty is important.

On another note, this being my second full size Leatherman, I've found that it's really nice to come home from work, take off my work MT (the Core), and slip into something more comfortable (the Skeletool).    :cheers:

Thanks for the input everyone.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 05:03:25 AM
I'm just amazed there are people who come here to have problems solved regarding multitools and not just talk utter trash.

Thanks for stopping by!

Good luck with the whole Multitool-at-Work thing!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 05:57:13 AM
it's not a knife boss...it's a pointed pry bar that happens to be razor sharp
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 05:35:37 AM
Evil510: Thanks for the suggestions.  I was gearing up to take apart the Core the other day, but then it hit me: If I do, I won't have the warranty.  :ahhh   I plan on having this tool for many years to come, so I don't think I'm gonna modify it.  I'm the kind of guy that carries my Leatherman everywhere, and uses it for everything/anything, so having a warranty is important.
I pretty much void all warranties after day one. I modify all my multitools to suit my needs so that I will carry them with me everday. If I find a tool lacking it typically ends up staying home. Having a full-on custom multitool comes at the price of losing the warranty. For me, the trade-off has been more than worth it.....   ;)
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 11:59:07 PM
(Call this a little suss) if you want to retain your warranty, just snap the blade off. Then if any of the other parts fail, you can send it in and the changes to the tool fall under warranty anyway!

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 04:03:41 AM

[/quote]I pretty much void all warranties after day one. I modify all my multitools to suit my needs so that I will carry them with me everday. If I find a tool lacking it typically ends up staying home. Having a full-on custom multitool comes at the price of losing the warranty. For me, the trade-off has been more than worth it.....   ;)
[/quote]

You probably already have this:  http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/generic/8f52/
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 06:11:14 AM
The no knife policies of some companies baffle me.  I am sure there is a no knife policy at my work(Resort) but I ignore it and carry a full sized MT and my Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara every day.  I run the Transportation/Valet/Bell department, and I have had to repair buses and golf carts on the fly, along with cutting wedding decorations off of our vehicles on a weekly basis.  I could not function without my tools, and I can't believe that someone would thing a Core blade would be a proper weapon. 

us Offline specgrade

Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 05:04:09 AM
The no knife policies of some companies baffle me.  I am sure there is a no knife policy at my work(Resort) but I ignore it and carry a full sized MT and my Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara every day.  I run the Transportation/Valet/Bell department, and I have had to repair buses and golf carts on the fly, along with cutting wedding decorations off of our vehicles on a weekly basis.  I could not function without my tools, and I can't believe that someone would thing a Core blade would be a proper weapon. 

I hate to say it but no one thought a box cutter would be a proper weapon and look what happen. (9/11/2001) But, I understand where you are coming from.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 05:44:17 AM

I hate to say it but no one thought a box cutter would be a proper weapon and look what happen. (9/11/2001) But, I understand where you are coming from.

Anything is a weapon in the hands of a lunatic.  Treating us all like lunatics is not the answer.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 08:40:12 AM
Anything is a weapon in the hands of a lunatic.  Treating us all like lunatics is not the answer.

That said, we're a bunch of blokes who sit around polishing knives and cracking fats over pictures of them, so a certain caution is probably advised....:P  :ahhh

us Offline sawman

Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 09:57:35 AM
Perhaps you don't need the job that badly if they won't let you have the tools to do your job.  And this applies not only to the mechanical field but many jobs types.  It sounds as rediculous as a barber that bans scissors because they can be used as weapons and only allows electric razors.  The insanity!!!
SAW

us Offline specgrade

Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 04:01:34 PM
Perhaps you don't need the job that badly if they won't let you have the tools to do your job.  And this applies not only to the mechanical field but many jobs types.  It sounds as rediculous as a barber that bans scissors because they can be used as weapons and only allows electric razors.  The insanity!!!

Jobs are in short supply around here. I'd use my teeth to keep my job  :pok:

us Offline sawman

Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 04:12:40 PM
I understand.  It's just a shame anyone should have to adhere to such nonsense... but we all gotta eat  :-\
SAW

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 06:01:35 PM

That said, we're a bunch of blokes who sit around polishing knives and cracking fats over pictures of them, so a certain caution is probably advised....:P  :ahhh

That's crazy?  (twitch)  >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD