Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alpha industries M 65 field jacket

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Alpha industries M 65 field jacket
on: September 04, 2010, 01:26:47 PM
Maybe it isn't a Sheat and Carry Method but I think it deserves a thread...  :D

Legendary US Army jacket which spread around the world. Usefull with big pockets, minimalist design yet versatile. Build to last and protect...

So, what I like to hear are some pros and cons...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Alpha industries M 65 field jacket
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:22:49 PM
There seen as a lot more politically correct than our own armies camo jackets over here ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 05:40:37 PM
I have a soft spot for the M-65.  :tu:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 02:19:39 AM
The M-65 was my first "EDC" jacket.  It still hangs in my closet.  It fit great 40 years ago, but does not fit now.   :(
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 09:10:33 AM
Amici,
Still have mine and wear it in the winter when going to the gym. It was replaced by the Gore-Tex parkas in the 1990's but for a time some troops still wore it until it was deemed obsolete and no longer issued or accepted for wear.

The M65 was based on the old M43 (button closure) used during the later part of WW2 then followed by the M51 with a front zipper closure.  Depending on the color, you can tell the time of service for those who were issued them. OD was issued from 1943 until the very early 1980's. Woodland from the early 1980's until the late 1990's..

The only personal gripe that I have is that a tailor had sewn my division patch to the sleeve without removing the "removable" winter liner and I haven't fixed it yet despite all these years. I think now it's time to get it done with Autumn approaching fast.

Cheers,
Serge  
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:03:19 AM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

Offline Bluesmedic

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 11:03:54 PM
I bought a black M65 (not an Alpha, just a cheap no-name one) early this year for a winter jacket, but found it also worked well as a light jacket with the liner removed when it got warmer, although without the liner it looks somewhat baggy. It's not a "technical" jacket by any means, but I have other jackets if I want that. My jacket is made of poly-cotton and wasn't particularly water repellent so I improved it by washing mine in Nikwax TX Cotton Proof.
The M65 is a design classic. I consider my black one smart enough to wear most places as long as the rest of my attire fits in. Not so sure that OG or Woodland would have the same effect...

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 12:47:53 PM
Never had a M65, now I'm trying to make my mind and choose between

Alpha branded jacket which I dont know where exactly is made USA, Chine, or somewhere else with price tag arround 100eur = 130$ with liner, made of 50% cotton - 50% polywhatever in what they clame to be Alpha certified distributor shop
http://armyshoponline.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=93_94&products_id=257

or cheaper ripoff which is also with liner priced at 40eur = 52$ made of 35% cotton - 65% polywhatever plus 15% fee to guy which will buy it and send it here, in German biker store
http://www.louis.de/_10fd09adbb382be6c64209af278285c7d3/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&article_context=detail&grwgr=115&wgr=800&list_total=38&anzeige=0&page=0&artnr_gr=205816

And maybee this boots:

http://www.louis.de/_10fd09adbb382be6c64209af278285c7d3/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=202967&anzeige=0&ADTRACTIONSLOT=detail_kontext
http://www.louis.de/_10fd09adbb382be6c64209af278285c7d3/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=202768&anzeige=0&ADTRACTIONSLOT=detail_xsord

Cant make my mind....  :shrug: :shrug:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 03:10:42 PM
I wore an OD '65 all through college, only switching out to a heavier coat when the weather got really bitter.  The amounts of junk that ended up in those giant pockets was epic.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 04:35:27 PM
Alpha is overpriced junk. Search for a M65 made by Propper.

Propper makes to mil-spec

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 08:19:10 PM
Alpha is overpriced junk. Search for a M65 made by Propper.

Propper makes to mil-spec

I've searched arround, and find that they are indeed lower priced than Alpha, but my question is what about liner? I saw they come with it, but I didn't saw a liner itself. Do you, or anyone here have experience is it good for winter and below zero temperatures? If anyone can give comparison of this liner to Alphas? Zippers also, brass or something else with Propper...

Overall impresions would be welcome...

Thnx

edcgear
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

00 Offline Mate

Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 08:23:30 PM
I havent got M65 , but i got original bundeswehr  jacket :D

Mine looks the same, just i took off the german flags  from the shoulders

( ill post piccies later, its dark now here, no good lighting :D )

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 09:39:46 PM
I have Alpha M65 jacket and I'm very satisfied with it, quality is excellent, but even with a liner it's not for snow and temperatures bellow zero.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 04:09:33 PM
I've searched arround, and find that they are indeed lower priced than Alpha, but my question is what about liner? I saw they come with it, but I didn't saw a liner itself. Do you, or anyone here have experience is it good for winter and below zero temperatures?

The ljacket and liner are good for below zero IF you are also wearing a good sweater.

Seriously, get the Propper. I have 2.  Propper has stopped making the M65 so once they're all gone, they are gone.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%