Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help - I can't find a suitable folder

sawman · 23 · 2031

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Help - I can't find a suitable folder
on: September 14, 2010, 02:29:24 PM
I've been looking on Ebay, various knife websites and I just can't seem to find a folder suitable to my needs.  To help you help me:  I basically have Sebenza taste on a Buck knife budget.  I already have all the SpyderCo knives I desire.  I'm open to Benchmade but have looked with no success.  I'm looking for a locking folder with clip point or similar style blade - with reversable clip, lanyard hole and blade anywhere between 3-4+".  I like G10 or titanium scales - zytel or similar but no wood.  Budget around $150.

Thanks in advance  :)
SAW

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Re: Help - I can't find a suitable folder
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:44:55 PM
Have you tried a griptilian? They're not much to look at but they sure work good. The axis lock is about the best there is, and they come in various blade styles and steel. I didn't like them the first time I seen them but that ends when you use one.

us Offline sawman

Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:50:10 PM
I'm looking at them right now.  The axis lock is very desirable and I like the availability of colors and blade styles.
SAW

us Offline sawman

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 05:19:44 PM
I was sort of settled on the griptilian but have a problem with the price.  It's not that I can't afford it, I just think it costs too much for what it is.  No offense to Benchmade fans.   ::)
SAW

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 06:46:05 PM
I recently got a bm 522 presidio ultra and have been very happy with it. If you want to try it out I can send it to you and we can work out a trade if you like it. Still has box bag and papers.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 12:29:54 AM
You should be able to dig up a Bradley Alias for close to the price you're looking for - very good knife and fulfills a lot of what you're looking for.  There is in fact a very nice Bradley Alias in half-serrated S30V with a titanium framelock up on eBay right now for $150 + shipping.

There are many other nice options from Benchmade, including the 530 Pardue (which is a personal favourite and an awesome, awesome knife), the Presidio/Mini-Presidio Ultra, the Barrage/Mini-Barrage and the Bone Collector series.  There's also Kershaw's Zero Tolerance line, including a very nice Strider design (though it's quite heavy at 7.7 OZ).

You could also go off the beaten path and look at something from Extrema Ratio - the BF1 in clip point is a very nice knife, and built like a brick sh*thouse.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 12:35:06 AM
The only thing with the Alias is that you will always know it is a cheaper version of something better and that it isn't as good as it could be.  That would bug me.  :D
I'm back!!

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 12:40:45 AM
The only thing with the Alias is that you will always know it is a cheaper version of something better and that it isn't as good as it could be.  That would bug me.  :D

Well, if the OP's desire is "CRK at Buck pricing", it's not something you can really get away from, is it?

us Offline sawman

Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 02:57:57 AM
I dont care for the looks of the alias, I'm kind of set on a Benchmade of some sort just a matter of finding the right price/trade  :D
SAW

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 03:00:01 AM
benchamdes? you say benchmades and trades! I may be able to help. :o

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 04:29:23 AM

your right, I got mine earlier this year around tax time and don't get me wrong, its an awesome knife but not as nice as a sebenza. In some regards its just a cheaper copy of A popular design. Does that mean its better executed with very high tolerances? Its good but its no sebenza. I do like it though, the opening trend to bug me though.

Offline skidoosh

Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 07:46:04 AM
I recently got a Benchmade Mini-presidio ultra 527 and I'm very pleased with it.  I wasn't sure about 440c but I really like it.  The blade profile is awesome.  My only complaint was that it was not really sharp out of the box but GP knives did a great job sharpening it up.  I would recommend it. 

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 07:47:01 PM
Sawman,
Since you're on Buck knife budget, why not a Buck? I'm not plugging the 110 since I'm sure you have one already, but how about the new Buck CSR-T which was developed by Buck working alongside the the folks over at TOPS of Tom Brown Tracker knife fame..

It's a one hander, G-10 scales with Rocky Mountain tread, modified tanto blade in ATS-34, pocket clip, hex driver adapter, molle type cordora sheath, plus it's a whopping 5" closed..

This one is easily on the top of my list of "gotta get gear" in the near future..

Cheers,
Serge
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:30:57 PM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 07:57:45 PM

Well, if the OP's desire is "CRK at Buck pricing", it's not something you can really get away from, is it?

Yep, by simply not getting an Alias.

The Alias is a cheap(ish) copy of a Sebbie and it always will be and will always leave you wanting the real deal.  Better off just buying a decent knife that is good because of it's own design and in it's own right.
I'm back!!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 04:26:13 AM

"Comparison is the thief of all joy."
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline sawman

Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 10:42:22 AM
I've looked at a bunch of Benchmades and other brands and almost bought a griptilian but I didnt like the prices.  I think I've decided to save for the Sebenza, as it sounds like you get what you pay for.  I can't recall anyone ever regretting buying one and anytime one goes up for sale it seems to retain its purchase value and that's a damn rare thing.  Thanks for all your comments - it will be a large Sebenza of which blade style I'm not sure yet (that's the easy part).  :cheers:
SAW

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 10:55:37 AM
You won't regret it and will get more satisfaction out of having the real deal I bet.  :tu:
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 06:30:19 AM
What has been a very popular for awhile is Benchmade's  "710"

D2 steel and G10 scales, it fits your hand wonderfully, it opens and closes smooth and fast (Axis) and it looks nice!

I have both the Grip and a 710 and while I don't carry it as much as a SAK now a days,
it is still my fav.

Griptilian and 710 for comparison ;)
best 710 (Small).jpg
* best 710 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 41.47 KB)
best2 (med).jpg
* best2 (med).jpg (Filesize: 82.03 KB)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 07:06:21 AM
I was just looking at the 710 earlier today, very good looking, but a bit on the expensive side. Eventually decided against as the recurve will be a major pain in the butt to reprofile.

us Offline sawman

Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 03:37:22 PM
I've admired the 710 for years but I don't care for its tool steel.  If they offered it in 154cm I'd definitely be interested  :D
SAW

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 06:31:58 PM
I've looked at a bunch of Benchmades and other brands and almost bought a griptilian but I didnt like the prices.  I think I've decided to save for the Sebenza, as it sounds like you get what you pay for.  I can't recall anyone ever regretting buying one and anytime one goes up for sale it seems to retain its purchase value and that's a damn rare thing.  Thanks for all your comments - it will be a large Sebenza of which blade style I'm not sure yet (that's the easy part).  :cheers:
Wise decision. :salute:

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 04:54:34 AM
I've admired the 710 for years but I don't care for its tool steel.  If they offered it in 154cm I'd definitely be interested  :D

I like it because it holds it's edge a long time, and it's not very difficult to sharpen when I do have too,
I just don't let it get bad!

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 09:18:37 PM
You should be able to dig up a Bradley Alias for close to the price you're looking for - very good knife and fulfills a lot of what you're looking for.  There is in fact a very nice Bradley Alias in half-serrated S30V with a titanium framelock up on eBay right now for $150 + shipping.

Just got a plain edge Bradley Alias I for $150 at a knife show.  I also have 4 Chris Reeve knives. The Alias I or II is a real nice substitute for a Reeve .

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88