Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The awl. Why??

Benner · 49 · 5259

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: The awl. Why??
Reply #30 on: September 19, 2007, 10:59:24 PM
Can I be the first to propose that this is officially the weirdest and yet funniest  thread on this site. :cheers:

(starts to clear tea from keyboard, previously coughed from my mouth whilst laughing out loud) :oops:

(also starts to duck...my wife is a good shot and hates her TV viewing beinginterrupted by above detailed incident) :twak:

Flash
If you think this is a weird thread, stick around mate ;D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 04:12:16 AM
Yep...Micky's right; just wait until the Holiday Edition threads come out,when we're all full of Christmas cheer.Be sure to tell all your friends.
I

Offline znapschatz

Reply #32 on: September 20, 2007, 04:13:44 AM
Wait... you're from Ohio?  I'm no longer talking to you!
                    Y'all should be thanking us.Remember The Toledo War? You got the UP,and we got.....well,we got Toledo.

For our northern neighbors, friends across the ocean and around the world who have no clue in re this Ohio/Michigan reference:

In the early part of the 19th century, Toledo was a swampy settlement on the shores of Lake Erie in a disputed border area between the states of Ohio and Michigan.  Neither side was much interested in what the locals called “Frogtown” until a newly completed canal made it possible for Toledo to become a major Great Lakes port.  

Michigan  sent a party of surveyors to secure its claim to Toledo.  When an Ohio sheriff attempted to arrest them, he was stabbed in the knee by One Stickney, whose brother, Two Stickney, was also in the Michigan group.  Upon learning the surveyors were languishing in an Ohio lockup, the Michigan governor ordered his State Militia to rescue them, by force of arms, if necessary.

The Michigan men set forth with muskets in hand from Ann Arbor, a short distance from the disputed area, but it took them a week to get there because of stopping at every tavern en route.  When Ohio authorities learned of the approaching Michiganders, it mobilized its militia to defend what they considered their border.  Both arrived at the area of contention at the same time, primed for battle, but due to thick brush, heavy mist and extreme drunkenness, were unable to find each other.

At this point, the Federal Government intervened.  A settlement was worked out.  Michigan gave up its claim to Toledo, which did become a major port, compensated by the Upper Penninsula, one of the most beautiful places on earth, detached from Wisconsin, at the time helpless to prevent it.  There remains an unsatisfied claim against Michigan with regards to an Ohio Pig who disappeared under suspicious circumstances.

To this day, the Ohio/Michigan feud has been played out by morons from both states hurling stupid and not really good natured epithets at each other, and the OSU-Michigan football rivalry.  Not one fan in 100,000 has the slightest idea of how all this started.            

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 04:17:41 AM by znapschatz »

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 04:24:27 AM
I love history... ;D

For another skirmish that fell through the cracks....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens

This happened about 60 years ago about 45 minutes south of here.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: September 20, 2007, 05:27:54 AM
At this point, the Federal Government intervened.  A settlement was worked out.  Michigan gave up its claim to Toledo, which did become a major port, compensated by the Upper Penninsula, one of the most beautiful places on earth......

That's what ya call a case of losing the battle, but winning the war!  :grin:

Bob
Michigan
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: September 20, 2007, 05:31:02 AM
At this point, the Federal Government intervened.  A settlement was worked out.  Michigan gave up its claim to Toledo, which did become a major port, compensated by the Upper Penninsula, one of the most beautiful places on earth......

That's what ya call a case of losing the battle, but winning the war!  :grin:

Bob
Michigan
And if you don't come and take Toledo back...it's war again !
Bob
Ohio
I

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: September 20, 2007, 05:33:13 AM
I love history... ;D

For another skirmish that fell through the cracks....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens

This happened about 60 years ago about 45 minutes south of here.
Does make one kind of nostalgic for the good old days when defenestration was the cure for high crimes,and hijinks in political office.
I

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #37 on: September 20, 2007, 07:38:04 AM
                    Y'all should be thanking us.Remember The Toledo War? You got the UP,and we got.....well,we got Toledo.

Wouldn't a Buckeye think that that's a good deal? :P
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline znapschatz

Reply #38 on: September 20, 2007, 06:04:37 PM

(For the rest of the world:  a Buckeye is someone who lives in the state of Ohio.  That comes from a native tree which produces a useless nut.  Draw your own conclusions).

Once, Toledo was a good deal, but lately has come on hard times in the current Ohioeconomy.  Unlike the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, however, it never was much fun, just a good, solid working class town.  Probably its best known attraction is Tony Packo's restaurant which, thanks to Klinger of television's "MASH," was reputed to serve the best Kielbasa.  IMHO, it was okay, but I've had better in Toledo, let alone other Polish neighborhoods in Ohio and elsewhere.  Another item of interest; Toledo was home port for the ore ship "Edmund Fitzgerald," which in 1975 sunk into Lake Superior with all hands, and is commemorated largely because of a song and beer named it its memory.  I knew a lake sailor who actually worked as a crew member on that ship, but not at the time it went down.   

As a native Buckeye, I don't care where anything is or what state claims the real estate.
I root for OSU football, but that's as far as I participate in this ludicrous rivalry.  Kicking Michigan's butt on the football field is good enough for me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 08:57:54 PM by znapschatz »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #39 on: September 20, 2007, 06:07:59 PM
That's quite the lesson!  All I knew about was Les Nessman's five Buckeye News Hawk Awards!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #40 on: September 20, 2007, 06:12:50 PM
That's why I love this place , there's always something new to learn ;D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #41 on: September 20, 2007, 06:21:10 PM

(For the rest of the world:  a Buckeye is someone who lives in the state of Ohio.  That comes from a native tree which produces a useless nut.  Draw your own conclusions).

Once, Toledo was a good deal, but lately has come on hard times in the current economy.  Unlike the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, however it never was much fun, just a good, solid working class town.  Probably its best known attraction is Tony Packo's restaurant which, thanks to Klinger of television's "MASH," was reputed to serve the best Kielbasa.  IMHO, it was okay, but I've had better in Toledo, let alone other Polish neighborhoods in Ohio and elsewhere.  Another item of interest; Toledo was home port for the ore ship "Edmund Fitzgerald," which in 1975 sunk into Lake Superior with all hands, and is commemorated largely because of a song and beer named it its memory.  I knew a lake sailor who actually work as a crew member on that ship, but not at the time it went down.  

As a native Buckeye, I don't care where anything is or what state claims the real estate.
I root for OSU football, but that's as far I participate in this ludicrous rivalry.  Kicking Michigan's butt on the football field is good enough for me.

You seem to know quite a bit!  You must have went to school outside of Ohio :P
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #42 on: September 20, 2007, 06:22:41 PM
I root for OSU football, but that's as far I participate in this ludicrous rivalry.  Kicking Michigan's butt on the football field is good enough for me.

Hey! Um... hrm... err... I can't even respond with Michigan sucking this year... damn...

Offline znapschatz

Reply #43 on: September 20, 2007, 09:19:10 PM

Once, Toledo was a good deal, but lately has come on hard times in the current economy.  Unlike the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, however it never was much fun, just a good, solid working class town.  Probably its best known attraction is Tony Packo's restaurant which, thanks to Klinger of television's "MASH," was reputed to serve the best Kielbasa.  IMHO, it was okay, but I've had better in Toledo, let alone other Polish neighborhoods in Ohio and elsewhere.  Another item of interest; Toledo was home port for the ore ship "Edmund Fitzgerald," which in 1975 sunk into Lake Superior with all hands, and is commemorated largely because of a song and beer named it its memory.  I knew a lake sailor who actually work as a crew member on that ship, but not at the time it went down.  

Geography has much to do with how much a typical Buckeye knows about this incident.  Any dullard school dropout from Northwest Ohio knows about the Toledo war.  Any Phd who grew up in Cinncinnati never heard of it.  I, a Clevelander repotted in Columbus, learned of it for the first from a Civil War re-enacter now living in Dayton who spent a lifetime researching Ohio history.     

I've been informed that a book about the Toledo war has been published, but haven't got around to tracking it down.   

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: September 21, 2007, 02:57:58 AM
Geography has much to do with how much a typical Buckeye knows about this incident.  Any dullard school dropout from Northwest Ohio knows about the Toledo war.  Any Phd who grew up in Cinncinnati never heard of it.  I, a Clevelander repotted in Columbus, learned of it for the first from a Civil War re-enacter now living in Dayton who spent a lifetime researching Ohio history.     

Hey!! I'm going to be in the (north) Columbus area next week. I'll be passing right by Toledo. Hopefully the hostilities will not flare up again until I'm back home!  ;)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: September 21, 2007, 03:59:30 AM

Wate just a sekund there,Uhia skools are vury gud :grin:
I

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: September 21, 2007, 04:03:38 AM

Hey!! I'm going to be in the (north) Columbus area next week. I'll be passing right by Toledo. Hopefully the hostilities will not flare up again until I'm back home!  ;)
                    Just make sure your passport and visa are in order :D ;D
Frankly,in response to Znapschatz,once upon a time Ohio history was taught in the 7th gradein Ohio schools,and the standard text actually made for excellent reading out of school.

I

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #47 on: September 21, 2007, 06:23:47 AM

Hey... U spel like u went to skool n suthern michigan with me :)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: September 21, 2007, 06:59:57 PM

Hey... U spel like u went to skool n suthern michigan with me :)
                    Thats bekauze yore teechers wer ejukated in Uhia skools :D ;D :cheers:
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD