Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is Leatherman reading MTO?

fb · 29 · 3007

Offline fb

Is Leatherman reading MTO?
on: September 24, 2010, 10:49:25 AM
I was wondering if Leatherman (and of course other manifacturers) is reading the MTO forums or do we have to contact LM and give our personal reviews?

E.g.: the scales of the new Squirt PS4/ES4 cover the nail nicks of the screw drivers which is clearly a manufacturing error. Should we contact LM about this or are they reading the reviews?

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Re: Is Leatherman reading MTO?
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:20:49 PM
It's not a manufacturing error, the scales have an indenation in the underside of the scale so you can fit a nail in there. I don't have long nails, in fact I have serious issues opening tools on a 91mm SAK, but I've never had the slightest issue with the PS4 I EDC every day

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:33:00 PM
I agree, more clearance could have been given. If you think that is bad, you should get yourself a Style.  :D

You can't just go in straight and level with your fingernail on the new Squirts for the Flat Phillips and bottle opener/flathead screwdriver. You have to angle in and dig deep to get that nail nick. I feel had Leatherman cut back the scales a bit more, it would have made them a lot easier to access. Everything else on the tool is a pleasure to access however...so it is only mildly annoying in my books.

As for Leatherman reading the forums...yes, I believe they do.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:34:37 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 12:37:25 PM
Leatherman hardly pays attention to their own facebook page or email account, I doubt very much they read the forums

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:28:44 PM
Leatherman hardly pays attention to their own facebook page or email account, I doubt very much they read the forums
Don't be too sure Andreas...  ;)

us Offline MrCoffee

• Coffee and Multitools - Proof there is a God.
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 02:01:39 PM

Funny... they seem to be pretty active on FB....
S

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 02:40:32 PM

It's amazing how closely the various manufacturers read these forums.  At our first SHOT show visit, employees at Leatherman recognized Bob from some of the few pictures of himself that he posted here.  Hell, I didn't recognize him when I first saw him!

Also, the in depth discussions we've had with folks at Gerber, SOG, Victorinox, Wenger, and CRKT have proven that they keep a pretty close eye on what happens here.  In fact, Gerber has told us flat out that it's because of the interest shown here that they decided to put the Shard into production.

Just because they don't always respond or make the changes you want to see doesn't mean they aren't here paying attention to what people say.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline fb

Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 03:33:00 PM
It's not a manufacturing error,
Ok, but you will agree it's a design error?

Problem with the Style (CS?) is: the nail nick is way too close to the pivot.

These are very small problems, but it would be nice if LM would change the design of these tools thanks to this feedback.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:47:52 PM by fb »

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 03:49:07 PM
It's not a manufacturing error,
Ok, but you will agree it's a design error?

Problem with the Style (CS?) is: the nail nick is way too close to the pivot.

These are very small problems, but it would be nice if LM would change the design of these tools thanks to this feedback.

As I said, I don't have any issue with the scales, so if you ask me it's a design error that they're not all that way.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 09:10:54 AM
As someone with fast-growing fingernails, I tend to trim mine a lot, which means that at different times my nails are too short to get at some LM nail nicks, while other times I don't even need a wire stripper, my nails do it fine!  I can't stand the tiny spaces that Manufacturers allow for nails these days, but it would seem they have pretty much been that way for a while.  My ST200 phillips head had a nail nick, but in order to get to it, I had to open the tools adjacent to it because there was no way to get any fingernail down in there at all.  I think it is a design error, and all Manufacturers need to address it. 

As far as LM reading these forums, I would bet my collection that someone from LM is on here pretty often.  It would not be advisable to any company to overlook such a concentrated base of customers.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 09:46:24 AM
There's no saying for sure one way or the other if Leatherman is monitoring our forum or if they are; if it has any influence on their activities.  I don't know what percentage "we" make up of their sales base.  BUT I think it would be in their best interest to pay attention to MTO and not just for LM but the other brand names as well.  Just consider all the people out there who would join us if they had access to a computer or if they knew about us.  Also consider that for the registered users here and even beyond that the lurkers; we/they don't often just buy one multitool but many, so if I were to take a stab at it we may make up anywhere between 1% and 5% of some of these manufacturers buyers...
SAW

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 10:17:13 AM
  Given the size of the worldwide market for most of these companies I doubt we represent more than a drop in the ocean.  However we are very keen on MT deign and use, so our feedback is hopefully helpful. 
  I do believe one of the reasons Gerber put a proper Phillips driver on their latest designs was partly due to our constant whinging anout the flat Phillips.
  It's also a good reason to be politely critical of any design issues you may have, design teams are unlikely to visit a forum where they get called idiots, or worse.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 10:23:18 AM

It's also a good reason to be politely critical of any design issues you may have, design teams are unlikely to visit a forum where they get called idiots, or worse.

Couldn't have put it better myself.  Sometimes folks forget that the PST was both a HUGE success and HUGE bundle of design flaws bundled into one.  All mistakes lead to improvements(I think  :think: )

Offline fb

Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 10:45:26 AM
Given the size of the worldwide market for most of these companies I doubt we represent more than a drop in the ocean.
Leatherman, Victorinox and Wenger are considered very high quality instruments in Europe. But China is growing in their copying market. And these copies are getting better and better. So it is not really a matter of MTO being a drop in the ocean. It is more a matter of LM etc. maintaining their high level of quality thanks to feedback from us.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 11:23:41 AM

While that is true, I can also tell you from experience that a company is less likely to be called idiots if they are ACTIVE on leading product forums. A lot of complaints are harsh because people believe it won't make the slightest bit of difference anyways. On another website I'm on, we know of quite a few companies who read the forum passively, but only a couple that has representatives on the forum, and only one of those is really all that active. It has definitely changed the discussions around that brand to the better, yet without anyone being afraid to point something negative out to the man.

My point is that to me it makes no difference whether Leatherman reads the forum or not up until the point they actually get involved. Forums can be an epic resource for any company, and there are even examples of companies built around a consumer base on a single forum. Examples: head-fo (audio), candlepowerforums (flashlights).

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 02:34:15 PM

While that is true, I can also tell you from experience that a company is less likely to be called idiots if they are ACTIVE on leading product forums. A lot of complaints are harsh because people believe it won't make the slightest bit of difference anyways. On another website I'm on, we know of quite a few companies who read the forum passively, but only a couple that has representatives on the forum, and only one of those is really all that active. It has definitely changed the discussions around that brand to the better, yet without anyone being afraid to point something negative out to the man.

My point is that to me it makes no difference whether Leatherman reads the forum or not up until the point they actually get involved. Forums can be an epic resource for any company, and there are even examples of companies built around a consumer base on a single forum. Examples: head-fo (audio), candlepowerforums (flashlights).

True enough, but regardless, a point can be made without resorting to name-calling. And I think that a manufacturer is more LIKELY to get involved on a site where the language is not so harsh.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:36:31 PM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 02:41:51 PM
Of course, but the point made here was that companies won't visit sites with name calling, while at the same time sites where they actively visit msot likely won't have name calling. Chicken and the egg :p

As I've said several times though, I think LM has a LONG way to go before their online presence can compete with the best. Possibly lurking around forums and randomly visiting their own Facebook page every now and then simply isn't enough to earn them any merit badges. I think they need to hire people who are interested enough in the company to be willing to do this on their own time. Any number of people on this forum, if they'd worked for LM, would gladly visit various forums as a member simply because they love their job and want to do it well, and are not too concerned with having everything be done on company time. Many companies have people like that. Heck, I've worked places with people like that. I was like that myself when I worked those places, even. It's the difference between having customer support and supporting the customers.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 04:41:01 PM
Whether they read the forums or not doesn't mean they're not listening to their customers.  They probably receive a good number of emails and some letters with comments/suggestions about their products.  I think the best way to show them the importance of getting involved with our forum is to have more group-buys of MTO engraved/lazered multitools and show them a solid customer base.
SAW

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 12:09:07 AM
Whether they read the forums or not doesn't mean they're not listening to their customers.  They probably receive a good number of emails and some letters with comments/suggestions about their products.  I think the best way to show them the importance of getting involved with our forum is to have more group-buys of MTO engraved/lazered multitools and show them a solid customer base.

Now that's a novel idea, an actual IDEA from someone!  I agree 100%, we can show our importance by letting them know it's us buying their tools.  Victorinox/Wenger and Gerber already listen to Def quite a bit, maybe we could influence LM a bit more.  I love LM tools personally, and really support the idea of them being on the forum. 

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 05:28:09 PM
In speaking with a reliable insider of the multitool industry, I can tell you that not just Leatherman lurks these forums, but the other big manufacturers do as well. They may not directly interact with the forum or make their presence known but they are here......
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline specgrade

Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 06:40:06 PM
 I thought EVERYONE read MultiTool.org.  :think:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 06:49:40 PM
I thought EVERYONE read MultiTool.org.  :think:
Good man  :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 05:07:32 AM
In speaking with a reliable insider of the multitool industry, I can tell you that not just Leatherman lurks these forums, but the other big manufacturers do as well. They may not directly interact with the forum or make their presence known but they are here......

They prefer not to interact with people on the forum so they can get more honest feedback.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 05:26:36 AM
Hello Leatherman :D

great tools need a great sheath to hold them... :pok:

i'll pay for it ifinya make it
:like:    :MTO:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 02:57:06 PM
Leatherman were is my 10th Anniversary PST  :pok: :pok:.
For services rendered , promoting alternate use of a Flair's Cocktail Fork  :P :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 02:23:27 AM

It's amazing how closely the various manufacturers read these forums.  At our first SHOT show visit, employees at Leatherman recognized Bob from some of the few pictures of himself that he posted here.  Hell, I didn't recognize him when I first saw him!

Also, the in depth discussions we've had with folks at Gerber, SOG, Victorinox, Wenger, and CRKT have proven that they keep a pretty close eye on what happens here.  In fact, Gerber has told us flat out that it's because of the interest shown here that they decided to put the Shard into production.

Just because they don't always respond or make the changes you want to see doesn't mean they aren't here paying attention to what people say.

Def

My theory: They do read this forum.  Where do you think the Style CS came from.  Since I know a number of us asked for a Skeletool with scissors instead of pliers :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline specgrade

Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 09:27:04 PM
For services rendered , promoting alternate use of a Flair's Cocktail Fork  :P :D :D :D
(Image removed from quote.)

Jeez dude, give a bloke a warning before you go posting like that  :rant:  :rofl:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 04:50:18 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

I made the mistake of letting my wife see this.  She has encouraged me not to buy any MT's from you...   :D

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 08:18:49 AM
Reminds me of the guy who posted a pic of him shaving as the LM Facebook contest pic.... xD

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%