Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Found another great rifle deal at my local sporting goods shop

Offline MacTech

I've recently gotten back into shooting sports, with the acquisition of a $75 Marlin Glenfield 60, I just picked up a Bushnell 3-9 x 32mm .22 Rimfire scope to replace the ancient, fogged, piece of crap Tasco 4X15 it came with, and some .22 cleaning cloths, while I was there, I was looking at the used .22's to see if there were any more good deals....

I found a near-mint New England Firearms .22 Magnum single-shot with black poly "furniture" for $100, the thing looks practically unfired

so, I put it on layaway (60 days to pay it off), it looks to be a decent gun

I really like single-shot rifles, it trains you to make every shot count, I learned on a Marlin Model 25 bolt action (the old 7-shot clipfeeder), but most of the time I had 5 or less rounds in the clip, and the bolt action forced me to make every shot count

Anyone familiar with the New England single shot firearms?

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Found another great rifle deal at my local sporting goods shop
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 06:34:45 AM
Hmm... I don't know anything about New England Firearms.  It sounds like a pretty good deal though.  The .22 WMR is one of my favorite rounds :)

I'm really curious to hear what you think of it after you shoot it :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 06:40:47 AM
New England arms make a great gun.  My first gun was a New England single shot 20ga.  I shot quite a few things with that gun.  It accounted for many rabbits, grouse, pheasants and the like.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 12:06:35 AM
If you really dig single shots you really need to check out Backwoodsmans magazine.http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/
S

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 01:09:46 AM
I thought that nobody else read that publication.  I love that magazine.  Lots of cool stuff.  I want that Northwest trade gun that was presented in the last issue.  In my opinion, that is the ultimate single shot.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 08:36:10 PM
Yup It is the publication that is entirely written by the readers. i know Richie wants me to do several articles and I have contributed 2 all ready.
S

Offline MacTech

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 01:12:56 AM
I changed my mind on the .22 Mag, the ammo was a little more than I'm willing to spend on .22, and the louder noise of the magnum round wouldn't go over well with the neighbors

So, I went and traded in my Marlin Glenfield 60, my Leatherman Wave (Never used it, the Surge has been on my belt holster since day 1), and got store credit for both, I then turned around and bought a .22 LR NEF Sportster singleshot, had my Bushnell 3-9X scope mounted and boresighted, and slapped on an offset hammer lever, then picked up a couple boxes of Super Colbri primer ammo

that SC is great stuff, I've put 25 rounds thru the NEF, and every shot made it through, no SC isn't the most accurate ammo, but it's darned *FUN* ammo, even if it is the dirtiest, smelliest .22 ammo I've ever shot, 25 rounds through the NEF and the barrel looked like I ran 100 rounds of standard LR ammo, on the upside however, SC is *QUIET*, incredibly quiet, in fact, the hammer striking the transfer bar was louder than the round discharging, I could be inside the house, one room away from someone, and they'd never hear it

this'll be a great squirrel-eliminating round

and since the single shot .22 is more versatile than semiautos, I picked up a few more rounds to try out, quiet rounds that won't disturb my sister's horses down the road (Super Colbri, .22 Short, Flobert Rundkugeln Ball-Breech caps, CB Long, and some Remington .22 Subsonic), and some conventional .22 rounds for out at the Rod and Gun club

I *LOVE* this little single-shot .22, compact, accurate, and with the right ammo, extremely quiet, and since my nephew is close to being old enough to learn to shoot (he's 5, maybe in the next year or two he'll be ready), the combination of a single-shot single-action .22 and quiet, no-kick ammo will be a great teaching tool
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 09:27:20 PM by MacTech »

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 01:33:19 AM
What do you mean by " more versatile?"    ;D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%