Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question about Spirit Phillips

sawman · 18 · 1907

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Question about Spirit Phillips
on: September 11, 2010, 07:15:53 PM
I'm considering getting a Spirit X to replace the one I sold awhile ago BUT I'm concerned about instances I've read about on here about the Phillips screwdriver bending/warping/etc.  As this is one of the most used features (for me) on a multitool, if this is going to be a problem I may pass on another Spirit.  What are your experiences and advice on the matter?

Thanks in advance!
SAW

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Question about Spirit Phillips
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 07:22:16 PM
It'll be an unpopular opinion I am sure, but IMO if drivers (and specifially the phillips) are your main used feature of a MT I wouldn't buy Swiss.  For decent drivers LM excells and that is the main reason why I only really carry LM MT's now. 
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:01:24 PM
It would slip before bend.  :P

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 08:06:06 PM
I would say it depends on how "heavy duty" your use of the Phillips is going to be.

The Swiss Phillips drivers are perfectly fine if you're not going to really torque anything hard. but if you envisage trying to shift a seized / rusted screw anytime, then the LM Phillips is going to work much better IMO.

I would also recommend the Bear and "old style" Gerber Phillips above that found on the Spirit.
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 09:14:00 PM
No Multitool driver is up to heavy duty work . I use a Leatherman Universal Tool Adaptor , and Snap On or Mac anti camout 1/4" hex bits if i even think I will have to play ruff . To be honest , since i started packing a Kline 10 fold , I hardy ever use Multi drivers for anything .

Chris

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 09:38:16 PM
No Multitool driver is up to heavy duty work . I use a Leatherman Universal Tool Adaptor , and Snap On or Mac anti camout 1/4" hex bits if i even think I will have to play ruff . To be honest , since i started packing a Kline 10 fold , I hardy ever use Multi drivers for anything .

Chris

Can't agree there, LM drivers are probably some of the best I have ever used.
I'm back!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 03:37:09 PM
They aren't too bad , but the new bit holders have jammed on me . They aren't a patch on industrial quality 1/4" hex bits , many of which are now power or impact rated . Automotive phillips bits with anti camout teeth are nice .

I like bit's that will interoperate with my drills , baby impact driver , and 1/4" hex magnetic screwdrivers .

No offence meant , Leatherman is onto a good concept , but for "Civilians " .

Chris

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 04:19:49 PM
I've been using my Spirit phillips driver pretty much every day since I bought it and have had no issues yet.  I do prefer the fixed phillips on my Kick/Fuse, certainly inspires more confidence,  but I can't say my Spirit has let me down yet leaving me pleasantly surprised considering the reputation it has.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline grimm_kaosboy

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 05:38:49 PM
I use my Swisstools drivers quite often, I've slipped, but not bent, twisted or broken my phillips. Then again I do have the ¼" L-wrench and spare bits and use them if I need to really get down on something hard. You might want to look into getting a Spirit with one for heavy use problems. I don't have the ratchet, yet, so I can't give you a recommendation on how it handles...
T

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 07:38:02 AM
I've been using my Spirit phillips driver pretty much every day since I bought it and have had no issues yet.  I do prefer the fixed phillips on my Kick/Fuse, certainly inspires more confidence,  but I can't say my Spirit has let me down yet leaving me pleasantly surprised considering the reputation it has.

Just a "me too" here; fwiw it does slip every now and then, but only with posidrive screws iirc...

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 07:55:04 AM
Funnily enough, the only driver I've broken on an MT was a Leatherman. :P

Spirit drivers work fine, they do slip sometimes though.
Got those frog legs.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 08:15:27 AM

Just a "me too" here; fwiw it does slip every now and then, but only with posidrive screws iirc...

Good point.  The Kick/Fuse etc Phillips seems to hold onto pozidrive heads better than the Spirit's one.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 08:24:07 AM
Quoting Wikipedia:
Phillips screwdrivers will fit in and turn Pozidriv screws, but will cam out if enough torque is applied, potentially damaging the screw head.

Edit: moreover, phillips drivers are supposed to be able to turn posidrive screws, but not vice versa... food for thought
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:28:28 AM by Nikos »

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 04:25:07 AM
Thank a mercifull God that Posidrive is rare in North America ! 

Chris

us Offline Marlinaholic

Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 06:26:38 PM
I've had good luck with Swisstool and Spirit phillips, they may not be the strongest, but get the job done for me, they seem to slip before they bend for me, which is good.  I remember removing one particularly rusted toilet seat with my Spirit phillips on one of my rental properties and I really cranked on it with no damage at all.  I think if you want to do a lot of Phillips work Leatherman with a bit driver would be the best as you could just toss the bit when it cracks or gets too burred up to use.  Or get the ratchet set up with the Spirit, though it makes for a bulky carry package, you can really crank stuff with that set up, and use super cheap "normal" bits you can buy anywhere.   

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 06:42:30 PM
Thank a mercifull God that Posidrive is rare in North America ! 

Chris

While I admit it's a pain to have two different screw heads, the pozidriv head is actually really good IMO.  The engagement is much better than on a Phillips so you are much less likely to cam out and strip the head.

From Wikipedia:

The Pozidriv, sometimes misspelled Pozidrive, screw drive is an improved version of the Phillips screw drive. It is jointly patented by the Phillips Screw Company and American Screw Company. The name is thought to be an abbreviation of positive drive. Its advantage over Phillips drives is its decreased likelihood to cam out, which allows greater torque to be applied.[5][6][7] In ANSI standards it is referred to as type IA.[8] It is very similar to, and essentially compatible with, the Supadriv screw drive.[9]

Phillips drivers have an intentional angle on the flanks and rounded corners so they will cam out of the slot before a power tool will twist off the screw head. The Pozidriv screws and drivers have straight sided flanks.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 04:31:13 PM
When you’re bearing down on a screw with your MT and find yourself turning purple, then you need to get out a dedicated tool.

Right tool, for the right job.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 01:16:54 AM
Funnily enough, the only driver I've broken on an MT was a Leatherman. :P

Spirit drivers work fine, they do slip sometimes though.

As Gareth mentioned above - the steel used on the LM drivers does seem to be much more brittle and prone to snapping, whereas the Vic drivers seem more prone to twisting and bending presumably as the steel is softer. (Or they cam out before it gets to that point).

The perfect blend must be somewhere between the two, although I have no idea whether that is feasible.
I used to come here a lot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD