Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a multi tool reccamendation

Offline Superrik

• New User
Looking for a multi tool reccamendation
on: September 26, 2010, 06:27:58 PM
Hey, multi tool enthusiasts.  I need to pick up something new and there is a LOT out there right now.  I've done a bit of research, but would like to know if I've overlooked anything.  I'm a theater technician, so the majority of use is to do quick wiring fixes on lighting equipment, screwdrivers, and the pocket knife. 

Right now, I am leaning towards the Gerber Legend.  I really like the fact that you can access every tool in it without having to open it up, since 9/10 times I'm utilizing it as a very quick adjustment of some sort.  I also like having the spring loaded pliers as it feels much better in the hand, allowing me to work quicker.  The actual plier unit seems a bit bulky, however, and I'm not sure how useful it would really be.

The leatherman wave is also high on my list because I think it offers the best set of needle-nose pliers.  I'm often using my multi-tool to get into hard-to-reach places and it is much more narrow and has a bit more length than the legend.  However, having to fully open the tool to get to my screwdrivers would annoy the hell out of me.

I've looked at some of the other brands that offer more standard electrician multitools, with strippers instead of the needle-nose, but I have found the needlenose to be more utilitarian and I can often just use the wire cutters to carefully make any repair that requires stripping the wire.  Would love to see if there are any brands you think I need to consider or if I have overlooked another multitool that has the pros of both of these models.  Thanks!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Looking for a multi tool reccamendation
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 06:36:55 PM
Have you looked at the Paladin tools? Or the Bear electrician?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 06:44:26 PM
Welcome to the forum Superrik. :cheers:  If you like the idea of the outside opening screwdrivers (and I agree with you) then do have a look a the Bear & Sons MT's and the excellent offerings from Victorinox; both the Swiss Tool and the Spirit. 

I know at least one of our members here is in a similar line of work to yourself and swears by his Spirit. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Superrik

• New User
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 08:42:05 PM
I have seen the Bear electrician and while it would be handy to have the strippers, I think I would regret not having a nice set of needlenose.  I took a look at the pliers/strippers on the Paladin 540 and it looks like that would be optimum for me.  Only problem is I think the unit as a whole is really bulky weighing in over 1 lb.  Does anyone have any personal experience with it?

I was heavily considering the swiss spirit, but I believe their pliers are somewhere in between blunt and needlenose, and I definitely need needlenose due to the tiny state of electronics these days.  The SwissTool Spirit plus looks like it may have a real set of needlenose on it, but I can't tell from the pictures on their site what is used for their wire strippers listed in the featured tools.

Offline Superrik

• New User
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 08:44:21 PM
Also just realized the spirit despite all its utility, doesn't have an actual knife in it.  Does anyone else find this odd?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 09:30:17 PM
Also just realized the spirit despite all its utility, doesn't have an actual knife in it.  Does anyone else find this odd?
Depending on what version you buy there's at least one knife blade mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 09:32:41 PM
Pliers on spirit is definitely the bluntest among the needle noses, and the X version does come with a regular blade.

us Offline EZ822

Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:43:44 PM
Hi Superrik
   I was thinking maybe the Gerber Strata might be what your looking for. See if it fits your needs. http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,17069.0.html
Erick

Offline Toolnut

Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 11:16:02 PM
The Gerber Legend is an excellent choice, as is the Swisstool however if most of your fixes are fairly quick & don't require a premium tool then have you considered the Legends little brother, the Gerber Suspension aswell? :)
T

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 11:32:14 PM
I would recommend the Leatherman Wave.
You will get used to opening the tool for a screw driver in a few days. It has a very good pair of needle nose pliers and OH blades.
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 11:13:38 AM

Have you looked at the Skeletool
Its jaws are thin and its lightweight
I'm not sure if there's enough tools on there for what you want it for  :think:
then look for a bit extender kit to go with it  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

Offline TheRodfather

Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 02:03:14 AM
Leatherman Charge TTi on your belt with a Leatherman ES4 on your keychain.  Everything is covered

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 02:05:55 AM
I would narrow thing down , ( in no particular order ) either the Wave with universal tool adapter , or the Spirit and ditto !

Chris

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 03:38:53 AM
The skeletool has outside drivers

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 08:30:53 AM
With the Wave you could just leave the bit driver open, then you'd have outside access to both Phillips and flathead

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 11:15:30 AM
Coming from another theatre technician, I'd go Leatherman. Leatherman's strongest suit is their drivers, followed by their pliers, and that seems to be what I reach for most in my multi's. I bet you'd like a Blast, it's got all the goodies you need and a sweet price.

Myself, I'm a Core guy, but the other "tech" tools of choice seem to be the Wave, Gerber 600's and SOG Powerlocks.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 03:48:15 PM
I'm a technician too. For the last hang I worked, everybody was carrying Leathermans. I used to use Leathermans until I lost my Charge. I just bought a Spirit to replace it. I'll report back after I get it into the theater to do some work. Either the Leathermans or the Swisstools will do the job. The other good thing about both these brands is that they keep their resale value. If it turns out you don't like one, it will be easy to sell here. Gerbers, while they do sell, almost never go for as much.

us Offline specgrade

Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 05:04:17 PM
 I'll second the Blast. I've used the scissors on 22g wire in tight places and they work well. Also I edc a Core at work. Leatherman has a great 25 year warranty.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 05:08:00 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I recommend a Charge TTi.  You're paying more than a Wave but when you finally see the TTi up close you'll know where that additional money went - it's well worth it!   That and a bit kit of course will give you just about everything you need for the job  :cheers:
SAW

Offline Superrik

• New User
Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 03:11:18 PM
After much consideration, I went with the Gerber Strata.  I'm really surprised to hear so many technicians use the leatherman.  I know they have nice drivers, but opening your pliers to get to them is incredibly silly.  The whole point is to be quick.  The drivers on the strata look nice as they fixed their problem with the flat philips head they were using.  It's really similar to my old Gerber Urban Legend.  Ahhh, I loved all the drivers in that.  Thank you to everyone for helping me with this decision!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 05:07:24 PM
Let us know how that works out for you.  I think I've heard the Strata mentioned here on the Gerber forum a while back but I don't remember much about it.
SAW

us Offline EZ822

Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 09:27:07 PM
Let us know how that works out for you.  I think I've heard the Strata mentioned here on the Gerber forum a while back but I don't remember much about it.
Zack and Def wrote reviews when it first came out. I wanted to buy one but I decided to wait for a review from someone who has Edc'd one for a while. Good luck with your new Strata Superrik. Let us know how it holds up.
Erick

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 01:47:04 AM
Aren't the Strata and the Wave both butterfly openers?
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 01:49:39 AM
Aren't the Strata and the Wave both butterfly openers?

You know I was just looking over the reviews and was thinking the same thing. It is. In fact, it is Gerber's header picture for the butterfly class.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 02:09:17 AM
I think the important distinction here is that all the Strata's tools are outside opening, plus it has sprung pliers and replaceable cutters.  I don't have either multi myself though, so I could be wrong.

Let us know how you like it Superrik. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%