Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I *needed* this SAK

us Offline alelser

• Suspected Sakilicious
I *needed* this SAK
on: February 07, 2011, 04:17:14 PM
That's what I tell myself, anyway. A thread here finally convinced me that the fish scaler was not a useless tool (the hook disgorger being more properly a coctail fork and the scaler a pumpkin carver); thus, the Champion and Swiss Champ became far more appealing to me and I decided that I simply must have a Swiss Champ.

So, when Dennis/WH867 posted his Super Timer for sale I grabbed it. Being a watch collector makes it all the more cool. :tu:

This one is very special to me also because Dennis shipped it on what could have been one of the worst days of my life. On Friday, 28 January my dad suffered a massive heart attack. He was out hiking at an outdoors center at which he volunteers as a naturalist (he's 74 y.o.). He coded twice in the ambulance and 4 times in the ER (each time getting the paddles and being revived). He had a stint placed and was kept at a body temp of 91*F for 24 hours. At one point we we told he was likely brain dead, but an MRI discounted that (8 hours later, mind you).

Long story short, my dad came to almost 72 hours after stopping the sedatives (5 days since the attack) and is doing better than the med staff have ever seen. His mental accuity is all there and his physical condition going into this was so good that he is weeks ahead of schedule for his physical recovery. He will likely have his bypass surgery this week or early next.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I always like to have momentos of life events, and this Super Timer will alway be a reminder of the time I *didn't* lose my dad.

-Al-
Let us therefore open the book of Nature and read in her records.
--James Hutton

Sakilicious!

ca Offline pthycrpg

• Tourist Season in the Alps
Re: I *needed* this SAK
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 05:07:30 PM
Hi alelser
  We are all pulling for your DAD but the best thing you can do is be the "son",  It makes dad's proud. :)
GOOD LUCK

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 05:48:40 PM
Alelser, (I'll try this again--my ISP ate the first response).

Really glad your Dad is doing better!  That is a lot of shocking and resuscitating.  He must be a pretty tough guy!.

As for the Supertimer, that's a really nice SAK.  I personally EDC a Cybertimer (modded Cybertool 41 with Timekeeper scales) at work.  Here's a couple pictures of analog watch SAKs

Cybertimer, Supertimer, Timekeeper

One last thing, there are two styles of watch, Roman Numerals and Arabic Numerals.  I don't know who makes the watches, but they keep pretty good time .  Enjoy! :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:03:37 PM by Mr. Whippy »

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:07:44 PM
Great news about your Dad, I am always amazed at the how tough and resilient our current generation of seniors are; they have done much in the last 60-80 years. We can only hope to match them, however I fear we will not.

Great memento too.

us Offline Wire Edge

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 06:50:09 PM
Glad to hear you dad is doing better, Al.  That's great news!

I love that particular SAK!  I used to drool over those in the Smoky Mountain Knife Works catalogs back in the early 90s.  Great score!

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 06:57:03 PM
Glad your Dad pulled through. :salute: I hope he does well in surgery. Nice knife. Might have to get me one someday.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:50:51 PM
Bloody hell  :o   Your father is made of tuff stuff, respect  :salute:

So that's a very nice SAK you got yourself there :tu:  But what you getting your dad ;)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline alelser

• Suspected Sakilicious
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 10:23:02 PM
Bloody hell  :o   Your father is made of tuff stuff, respect  :salute:

So that's a very nice SAK you got yourself there :tu:  But what you getting your dad ;)

He really is a tough cookie. 20 years in the Air Force, Vietnam vet... but he's also about the sweetest guy you'll ever meet. He's everything I ever want to be.

As for what I'm getting him? He already carries a custom lockback I gave him about 7-8 years back. :)
--James Hutton

Sakilicious!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 12:03:15 AM
Your Dad sure sounds like he's made of tough stuff.  Glad he pulled through and is recovering. :salute:

Also I should add; that's a great SAK and I'm sure you'll get plenty of use out of it. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 02:29:41 AM
Excellent story....

I have the SuperTimer and Timekeeper...nice, but collection only.  I had to change the batteries on both when I got them.   The SuperTimer is still running, the Timekeeper appears to have quit.  Thing is, the running watch is still on Korea time...LOL
MOLON LABE!

us Offline alelser

• Suspected Sakilicious
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 02:52:29 AM
This one is very special to me also because Dennis shipped it on what could have been one of the worst days of my life.

I just re-read my post, and that sentence sounds horribly selfish! That should read, "...what could have been one of the worst day's my my life, and THE worst of my dad's.  :twak:

I have the SuperTimer and Timekeeper...nice, but collection only. 

I might have just added this one to the collection if the situation had been different, but my dad would probably leap out of his hospital bed and kick my tail if he found out I wasn't going to use this one. :)
--James Hutton

Sakilicious!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 03:01:43 AM
Super Knife, Super Picture, and Super Story!

Happy to hear that you'll be able to show your dad your new knife.  Sounds like everyone had the right tools handy that day.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 02:02:12 PM
WOW mate , so glad your dad pulled through, he sure beat the odds on SAK day  8) 8) 8).
Keep us up-to-date on how your dad is doing. I hope the surgery goes without a hitch mate  :tu: :tu:.

I have a Timekeeper & I really like it  :D :D. Nice SuperClock  :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79