Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got GPS?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Got GPS?
on: September 21, 2007, 10:04:40 PM
I've never been the type to get lost, but I like the idea of a GPS, plus it helps with the odd time I've gone geocaching.  It's great fun, but I rarely seem to have either the time or the energy together these days! :P

At any rate, I recently managed to get a GPS antenna for my PDA and Odyssey Mobile software from Infogation, and I've entered the GPS Navigation world.  I've already started calling it Lola (like the SatNav system in the Robin Williams movie RV) and I'm doing my best to piss it off by taking different routes than the one it prescribes!  So far it hasn't accessed that special reserve of voice prompts where it starts telling me I should listen more, and if only I'd done what she said I wouldn't be in this predicament!

I'm kind of enjoying it, but since I rarely ever get lost, it's not really much more than a toy, and I was wondering what GPS and navigation software/hardware everyone else is using?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Got GPS?
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 11:33:07 PM
I've never been the type to get lost, but I like the idea of a GPS, plus it helps with the odd time I've gone geocaching.  It's great fun, but I rarely seem to have either the time or the energy together these days! :P

At any rate, I recently managed to get a GPS antenna for my PDA and Odyssey Mobile software from Infogation, and I've entered the GPS Navigation world.  I've already started calling it Lola (like the SatNav system in the Robin Williams movie RV) and I'm doing my best to piss it off by taking different routes than the one it prescribes!  So far it hasn't accessed that special reserve of voice prompts where it starts telling me I should listen more, and if only I'd done what she said I wouldn't be in this predicament!

I'm kind of enjoying it, but since I rarely ever get lost, it's not really much more than a toy, and I was wondering what GPS and navigation software/hardware everyone else is using?

Def
My mate had it in his lexus, and it did prove it's self useful planning routes, but like you I don't tend to get lost so for me it's a bit of a gimmick :)

Bur now there getting cheaper I can see the value of having them around :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 07:38:58 AM
I've got an old Garmin eTrex that I've had for a few years.  It's a very basic unit.  I mainly use it to mark decent hunting spots and the location of the car when I hike/hunt. 
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 08:18:41 AM
I would like to get a GPS purely for the GeoCaching phenomenon, it really appeals to my sense of exploration and adventure.

The only experience I have with GPS is a Mio navigation system that my father recieved for Christmas. It works fairly well and makes long distance driving to new destinations a lot easier since it gives you ample notice before turning is required. It wouldn't recognize some rural addresses so you would have to find the town on a map and just manually plot your route. The touch screen was a really nice feature though.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 01:08:05 PM
One would think that I am the type to get horribly lost since I have a fascination with maps and compasses (I have three dedicated compasses, and many things that have compasses on them) plus my waterproof Magellan 300 that I use for kayaking, and now this GPS Navigation system.  Oh yeah, and one of these days I'd love to have an antique brass sextant!

I'll continue to use my old Magellan when I am away from the roads, such as when I am kayaking, or walking in the woods, but I think it's really neat to have the map laid out in front of you, reminding you when and where to turn!  I'll admit, like many people I often go into "autopilot" when driving, especially when discussing something reasonably important, and I often miss turns as a result.  I even occasionally forget where I am going, or in what order I was planning on going in, and end up having to backtrack, wasting time and fuel, which I hate doing.  A reminder seems like a good enough idea under those circumstances.  Also, I am a creature of habit, and I have numerous routes that I take to go certain places, but the GPS shows what it the fastest route, or the shortest, how to avoid highways and toll roads, and as a result, will likely save time and fuel in the long run that way as well.

My biggest concern is that the modern convenience will dull my poor brain even more!  I used to be able to solve complex math problems in my head (I always did in school because I couldn't be bothered writing out the hundreds of steps to find an answer, I'd just work it out in my head and write the answer!) but since I have calculators everywhere now my skills aren't as sharp as they used to be.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 04:15:27 PM
I used GPS when I did archaeology work.  They are good for finding your way back to a place.  However, people get too wrapped up into using it.  It does not replace a map and it sure is not as reliable as a good compass.  When I used one it worked great.  The "higher ups" at the office became obsessed and wanted UTM coordinates for everywhere you walked.  It really slowed things down quite a bit.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 04:23:16 PM
If they wanted to know where you were all the time, they should have fitted you with tracking dots that would tell them automatically.  But, I guess common sense doesn't always make it past the front office!

My old Magellan is a great GPS- pretty simple, but you are right, it needs a map.  It will point you in the right direction, even if there is an ocean or cliff in between you and what you are going to!  This can often lead to a certain amount of backtracking since you have to go back the way you came to go out of your way because you came a different way because you followed the arrow in a direct route!

That's what's handy about the Navigation system.  You can zoom in and out on the map to see where you are and where you are going, and it follows the roads.  Of course, if you leave the road it's usefulness more or less ends, although it still pinpoints your location on the map.  It just tells you over and over that it's "Recalculating" or you need to make a U Turn if possible.  Different applications of a good tool as far as I can see.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 12:15:44 AM
I spend my free time during the Ends-with-an-R months tramping the deep woods. My Garmin 60CS and I are pretty much constant companions.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 12:17:35 AM
You mean Septembrrrrrrr, Octobrrrrrrrr, Novembrrrrrrr and Decembrrrrr? :P

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 12:46:32 AM
You mean Septembrrrrrrr, Octobrrrrrrrr, Novembrrrrrrr and Decembrrrrr? :P

Def

Hah!! It's only pronounced brrrrrr if you are sitting still.

Which I never am..... ;D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 03:35:56 PM
I noticed that here in Ohio it is Decemburrrrrrrrr, Jannnnuary, FebIamnotgoingoutsidetillmarch. :)

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 04:19:50 AM
Hey guys, haven't been around much lately but noticed a thread about GPSrs and someone even mentioned Geocaching :grin: I think I have become obsessed but it gets me outside and off my backside!  I use a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx with the Mapsource Roads and Recreation software I got from some a great guy and it works great.  I couple that with Garmins U.S. TOPOs and the trails we walk show up also.  While it either doesn't auto-route (or at least I can't get it to) You can see the map and plan you routes yourself.  I have used a 60CSx with the latest mapping program on autoroute and usually I know a better/faster way to get to the destination.  I can see the benefit of it, especially in an area you don't know, but it doesn't take the place of human knowledge.

Geocaching.com Profile:
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=755ec27f-53fe-4275-818f-db34d44ade93

* Charge, Nano, 60CSx.jpg (Filesize: 124.21 KB)

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 04:27:27 AM
Another pic of GPSr while caching.

* GPS 60CSx.jpg (Filesize: 124.33 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 05:05:16 AM
I haven't been geocaching for ages.  :(  Maybe I'll get the family out this weekend. Probably we should avoid Necessary Evil though; it looks much too small to be fun!  ;)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 08:38:49 PM
I bought a Garmin Etrex Legend a couple of years ago for geocaching.  I now use it much more for hiking, canoeing and off-roading (4-wheelin', wheelin', what ever you call it).  I like to download my tracks to topo maps when I get home.  It's been invaluable getting back to some places that I would never remember otherwise.

I haven't hit a geocache in quite some time, but I hope to this fall/winter.
- Terry

Offline kreskin13

Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 09:50:23 PM
I've had a GPS in my 2005 Prius for almost 3 years. Great stuff.

I just recently got a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, with all the extra software, but haven't had time to play with it much.

Calvin
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 10:31:08 PM
Mine came in handy last month when I had to find a place that was somewhat out of town.  I was kind of surprised to see it in there since it's a fair bit out of the city, and it seems the farther you get from major centers the less is listed, but it worked great to get me where I was going.

Using a map is a great way to find stuff but this really does take the guesswork out of it.  Not that there's much guesswork, but at least you know where on the street to start looking.

Def

Offline kreskin13

Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 10:38:36 PM
When i first got my Prius, I decided to test it out. i was in a place I had never been before, about an hour and half away. I entered my home address and took off, i had no idea where I was for 90% of that trip but that thing got me home without one bad turn. Not a bad toy.

Calvin
[

Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 10:40:48 PM
They really have come on, in the last few years :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 10:42:09 PM
I am thinking about getting one for my wife for Christmas.  She isn't a great driver and I think it might help her relax behind the wheel if she didn't also have to worry about where she was going.  I do almost all the driving because she doesn't like to go anywhere out of the ordinary.  She won't go anywhere beyond the mall or her parent's house.

Of course with gadgets she'll either take to it or ignore it so I was thinking a nice one with the built in hard drive for her mp3's might be a good idea.

Def

Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 10:48:16 PM
Thats not a bad idea mate, it almost shows you care :D, mind you the real reasons, that you wana get out of driving probably :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 10:56:07 PM
Yes, it is kind of a pain needing to do everything all the time...

Def

Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
Yes, it is kind of a pain needing to do everything all the time...

Def
Well she doesn't have a dog to bark herself does she :D

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 11:01:06 PM
I have an orange Magellan and 3 Garmins. A Etrex, a Legend, and a 60 csx also
B

Offline kreskin13

Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 11:09:55 PM
If you EVER get lost, we all get to poke you with a stick! :pok:

Calvin
[

Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 11:10:50 PM
If you EVER get lost, we all get to poke you with a stick! :pok:

Calvin
Sounds like a plan to me :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 09:32:58 PM
Do you guys ever use Lat/Longs then ?  I use GPS alot but only in a marine enviroment .

Dunc

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 09:41:55 PM
Not really...  I really just play around with my GPS's.. On my boat I have a Garmin Gps/ Chartplotter/ fishfinder/ thing! It is really cool.. And its in color!
B

Offline cryptrick

Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 09:58:06 PM
Not really...  I really just play around with my GPS's.. On my boat I have a Garmin Gps/ Chartplotter/ fishfinder/ thing! It is really cool.. And its in color!

Sounds like you got one nice boat there :)  Any pics?
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 10:18:05 PM
This is what I will be using in a couple of weeks time

Navman tracker

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds