Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SwissTool Spirit scissors – my thaughts

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
SwissTool Spirit scissors – my thaughts
on: October 01, 2010, 07:50:53 PM
Scissors on ST Spirit are, if not the most criticised tool on it, than right after „butter“ knife. Here are some thaughts about them.

After some inspection and comparitions STS scissor apear to be sturdier, somewhat thicker and with strong ends. Well my impression is that, like everything on STS, they are made for serious business. This MT is constructed to be on the „front line“ doing some serious stuff, along with that scissors on this tool aren’t made for just paper cutting, or some thread, or something like that, they can do this job as well as any other. What I think is that this scissors are made for somewhat harder cutting. Now I come to it’s not so wide oppening and slight shorter cutting edge. As I see this is not a problem, it’s just constructional solution which should prevent cutting oversized things in order to keep scissors on the „safe side“ and prevent applying to much pressure which could end with serious damage. If I have to choose between a bit wider opening and bit longer cutting edge against sturdier design, and safety in cutting somewhat stiffer and harder things, I will go for the other one.

As I have stated, those are just mine initial thaughts. I’m not MT expert, not even serious user, I’m just a guy with some thaugts about this, and comment’s are more than welcome!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: SwissTool Spirit scissors – my thaughts
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 12:40:13 AM
I gotta confess I like them , the spring is very rugged .

Chris

ca Offline gunga

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:01:52 AM
I find them weird, I also am not sure how to sharpen them...

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 05:38:18 AM
The scissors are probably the most used tool on the Spirit for me. ...or possibly tied with the strait blade for most use (I have the "S" version I believe.)
Anyway I think they're better than regular SAK scissors, more solid feeling, I never get the sense that the hinge or spring are ready to snap at any moment as I'm cutting something.
As for the small cutting area, it's still enough for most things you'd use multitool scissors for anyway.
That's my take on the subject.  :)

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 05:48:30 AM
 :oops: it seems mine is the "X" rather.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:12:51 AM
I like my Spirit scissors they make a nice clean cut on paracord.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 08:23:01 AM
:oops: it seems mine is the "X" rather.

Yup! Same here, scissors + strate blade...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 09:17:32 AM
Some comparison....

ST Spirit X scissors vs. Hitachi Cutting Tool (for cutting of steel pipes, profiles, etc.)

:D :D   ;) ;)   ::)
SAM_0113.jpg
* SAM_0113.jpg (Filesize: 101.96 KB)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 10:45:11 AM
Scissors on ST Spirit are, if not the most criticised tool on it, than right after „butter“ knife. Here are some thaughts about them.

After some inspection and comparitions STS scissor apear to be sturdier, somewhat thicker and with strong ends. Well my impression is that, like everything on STS, they are made for serious business. This MT is constructed to be on the „front line“ doing some serious stuff, along with that scissors on this tool aren’t made for just paper cutting, or some thread, or something like that, they can do this job as well as any other. What I think is that this scissors are made for somewhat harder cutting. Now I come to it’s not so wide oppening and slight shorter cutting edge. As I see this is not a problem, it’s just constructional solution which should prevent cutting oversized things in order to keep scissors on the „safe side“ and prevent applying to much pressure which could end with serious damage. If I have to choose between a bit wider opening and bit longer cutting edge against sturdier design, and safety in cutting somewhat stiffer and harder things, I will go for the other one.

As I have stated, those are just mine initial thaughts. I’m not MT expert, not even serious user, I’m just a guy with some thaugts about this, and comment’s are more than welcome!!

Agreed,I personally like the Spirit scissor and you right,the design is more for serious stuff,not just for paper cutting.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 10:54:35 AM
I find them too slippery, combine with the outward curve it tend to push stuff out than cut it (i.e. nylon cord).

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 11:04:21 AM
I really like the Spirit scissors too :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 11:32:35 PM
Last week I have used scissors on STS more than I usually... And althaugh I have a SAK SwissChamp in my pocket I use the ones on STS more often...  :tu:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 01:42:01 AM
i use them a lot in the work for cutting zip ties, i love the design very clean and effective  GO SPIRIT!! :cheers:
custom swiss army knives

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 10:11:06 AM
I get on fine with them . They are so much better then those found on Sogs and Gerbers .

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD