Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Contest on Leatherman facebook page!

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Contest on Leatherman facebook page!
Reply #60 on: October 14, 2010, 05:52:20 AM
Not sure how long I will be participating on the Leatherman page.

Some guy made a statement about how Leatherman copied Gerber's removable wire cutters. Then uninformed folks started trash talking other companies, and that Leatherman invented the multi-tool and also invented outside opening tools. I just couldn't let that lie, so I told them to Google the ABCo Happy Angler.

Well THAT got the conversation wiped from the Leatherman Page...or I can't find it anymore.

I am not entirely happy with the Leatherman facebook page right now. Nothing gets my feelers a twinging more than being censored due to knowledge.

Hopefully I just can't re-find it...but then again...does it matter? The page has several groveling Leatherheads (not my word...theirs). Time will tell I guess.  :think:

Well, not an expert on the subject, never seen a multi-tool before Leatherman. Did a quick and dirty research on Gerber (Fiskars Corp). Only talked about what "I" was aware of. The claim that Leatherman stole ideas from Gerber seems more of a rant than anything serious. Was hoping you'd chime in and set the record straight. And I missed your post about the "ABCo Happy Angler" too.  :(
That page gets those types that like to boycott Leatherman or rant about some stupid poly tick issue.

Had to go take care of something for a few minutes, came back and the whole rant-post vanished. Talked with other folks and seems lots of topics have been vanishing. Think they need more picture bombs.  :D

The page has been slowly dying. Have an idea why, but I'll keep my trap shut. Hard to get any good discussions going. Seems the only time the LTG page gets any activity is on contest days. I view the page several times a day while job hunting. Have been falling asleep reading it lately.

LTG seems to favor a certain individual there more than others. The Leatherman page isn't professional anymore. More drama and contests. And LTG wants 20,000 likes??
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:07:47 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: October 14, 2010, 09:43:48 AM
You have to get used to that kind of fanboyism on there. There was a discussion about the Serac S2 flashlight, many people had it/wanted it etc. I didn't know anything about it so I looked it up and was confused because it seemed like a very bad flashlight. The output is very low, the build quality seemed very inferor, run time wasn't impressive and to top it off it cost 2-4 times more than similar sized lights with better specs all around. I wrote that and asked why people liked the Serac so much, that didn't go over well.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #62 on: October 14, 2010, 02:36:28 PM
His post was up for several days. I pip in and it gets an immediate take down. I seem to have that quality about me at times.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: October 14, 2010, 02:40:23 PM
Might have been removed by the user. Who wrote it originally? I know Xelkos (Jackaroo Jim) likes to hit the delete button a lot

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #64 on: October 14, 2010, 03:03:08 PM
It's this kind of thing that is the reason why I no longer go on single manufacturer forums.  There is just no point as any criticism (be it true or not) is just jumped on by all the fan boys.
I'm back!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: October 14, 2010, 03:10:53 PM
I agree. Thank God for Multitool.org.  :cheers:

Reply #66 on: October 14, 2010, 08:34:01 PM
Some posters come off on LTG at the wrong times to just be a grump and want to stir smurf up it seems like, especially after a contest. People come off like a prima donna a lot, and that's why they get jumped on. If you noticed when Andreas is writing like a rational person that he gets replies of content. And he's deleted posts too, just about everyone has. That's not a big deal.

Had to send Juli two emails about removing JPs post about him being blocked. He started in again and seen it got removed. Despite everyone's excuse "oh he's just a kid" - no, he's an embarrassment to the page. He's got his own page if he wants to ramble on or cause drama. But LTG loves their little mascot more than anyone else. Not sure what the connection is there.

As to why things get removed is longer than I care to explain. Don't care if you don't like it. If things get out of hand, often trolled and run down, why leave it up? Just makes the whole thing look stupid like those that replied to it. Deleting ones own post isn't a crime as some try to make it out to be.

Lately lost of posts/replies been getting removed. If people just want to smurf about stuff, they should do it on their own page. Don't make a smurf out of yourself in front of 12,000 others.

Karma has a way of coming back one way or the other for everyone.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:24:30 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #67 on: October 14, 2010, 08:40:28 PM
Had tried to sell a KF4 there once, only to be trolled, begged, and whined about it. Over and over. Juli and Michael neither did anything - it's their responsibility of what gets left on the page. - That's one reason of deleting a post, when the admins fail to keep order for everyone without favoritism.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:20:35 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #68 on: October 14, 2010, 08:56:50 PM
I...think you need to step away from the Facebook.  It's pretty obvious to the folks in the cheap seats that the LM page is just making you irritable. 
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #69 on: October 14, 2010, 10:11:48 PM
I...think you need to step away from the Facebook.  It's pretty obvious to the folks in the cheap seats that the LM page is just making you irritable. 
Sounds like pretty good advice to me.. ;)  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: October 14, 2010, 10:17:43 PM
Yes, I do see the writing on the wall (bad pun intended).

:cheers:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #71 on: October 14, 2010, 10:21:52 PM
For this and other reasons, I am liking facebook less and less...  >:(
SAW

Reply #72 on: October 15, 2010, 12:15:21 AM
Was only at LTG for the contests. Other page's contests. Found a few companies I do business with were there. Limit what I have available on Facebook.

Too many undesirables live there. Wouldn't let anyone without and open mind use it.

One guy on my friends list is always finding prostismurfs there and he harasses the smurf out of them.

One thing FB really needs, is Grant's smurfin censor there. Would be hilarious. Hmm... Smurf App for Facebook??
¬ Outback in Idaho

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: October 16, 2010, 04:03:22 PM
Just a small update...guess who started this little issue...our good old friend Leatheman123. Nikko is still at it.  :o

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: October 16, 2010, 04:45:28 PM
???

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #75 on: October 16, 2010, 04:49:50 PM
Search for that name in here Andreas if you want the background story.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: October 16, 2010, 05:02:12 PM
I see... but what did you mean he started this little issue? Is he on failbook or?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: October 16, 2010, 05:34:38 PM
yes, he is on failbook, and trolling the Leatherman failbook page.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: October 16, 2010, 05:39:22 PM
Yeah just saw him. So basically he screwed people with trading? I noticed he isn't banned

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #79 on: October 16, 2010, 05:44:08 PM
It goes deeper then that...but I won't re-ash old news on this forum. I just found it interesting that he is causing a bit of ruckus on the Leatherman Failbook page. Guess he never did change. Figured the old membership that remembers him might get a kick out of hearing about it.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: October 16, 2010, 06:08:19 PM
I have to say I haven't really seen him cause any mess there though? Then again I really don't pay all that much attention to who does what, besides Jim, Tracy and JP (and you) I couldn't point anyone out there who I remember any posts by

Reply #81 on: October 16, 2010, 08:05:25 PM
Nikko, the guy in the boat with the fish, head is missing, started the thread that Leatherman should thank Gerber since Leatherman supposedly copied some Gerber model. pffft.

He's also under one topic on mine:
Quote from: Jackaroo Jim
  Let's suppose you had the power to change any Leatherman tool; to create the ultimate version that was far better than any of its predecessors! Which would it be, what realistic changes would you implement, and what name would you call this new version?

Quote from: Nikko Ferrara
I would chose to create the SURGE 2G. It would have Ti handles, premium 154CM/S30v blade steel, serrated blade with cutting hook, have the new style saw system like on the Supertool 200 EOD and it would have a supertool 300 plier head. This would be multitool perfection. It would weigh in at around 10 ounces (2.5 lighter then normal SURGE),
Thursday at 6:16pm

Quote from: Nikko Ferrara
By the way, THAT IS MY ORIGINAL IDEA! I have seen someone on this fb page claim it as his idea and that is blasphemy!
Thursday at 6:16pm

Made your voodoo dolls look like:  :rofl:
Nikko Ferrara

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1303955402
¬ Outback in Idaho

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #82 on: October 17, 2010, 12:34:14 AM
prostismurfs...  he harasses the smurf out of them.

:rofl:

Seriously, what we need to remember is that Leatherman's Facebook page is a marketing vehicle to promote Leatherman tools- not discuss them, not chat about other makers, not trade, buy or sell tools, it's a way for Leatherman to take advantage of the "Flavor Of The Month" fad and use it as a way to communicate with users.  It's not meant to amount to much, it's about them making use of the tools that are available to them.  That's why we have a Facebook page.  It's why SOG has a Facebook page.  And Wenger.  And Gerber.  And they are all on Twitter too.  Why?  because it's cheap and (reasonably) effective marketing.  To treat it as anything else is to be disappointed.

That having been said, I am not trying to put them down or belittle them, but it's like walking into a Ford Dealership and striking up a conversation with other customers in there about whether you think the F-150 is a better truck than a Silverado, or ask if Ford has gotten around to fixing that pesky electrical problem that seems to hit all their products after about 5 years.  Try that, and see how long you are welcome at that dealership.  :P

It's also not me trying to say Multitool.org is any better than them because we allow those kinds of discussions.  It's a matter of focus- and I don't mean the Ford!  We are not a marketing vehicle, we are a discussion group.  They market, we discuss.  It's that simple.  You can't get mad at them for not promoting discussions like we do any more than you can get mad at a fish for not being able to fly to the moon.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: October 17, 2010, 01:01:24 AM
That is very true.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: October 17, 2010, 01:10:12 AM
That is partially true. However, social networks are public. Manufacturers have to be extremely careful about pissing off customers on services like that, or they'll end up as a twitter hashtag with #leathermanfail. There has been plenty of examples of that since social networks caught on. Yes, it's a advertising tool, but if LM doesn't also let people do the things they think they can do on those sites they'll find themselves with a lot of unhappy customers pretty soon.

The companies that get the most out of social networks are the ones that use them correctly. Companies pay a lot of money to run surveys to find out what people think about their products etc. Twitter and Facebook provides a lot of that information for free, and it's a gold mine if the companies aren't afraid to show they care. Heck, we've had several new product launches here in Norway because of Facebook, and said products have done quite well. If people start discussing what Gerber does better on the Leatherman site, then Leatherman should sit there taking notes. Censoring anything will lead to bad press, because someone will post about it on a forum :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #85 on: October 17, 2010, 03:22:33 AM
Ditto with talking about Chevy trucks in a Ford dealership.  There's lots of places on FB for talking about... well, pretty much anything you want.  It's their page, and they can have or not have anything they want there, and if someone doesn't like it, well then that's their prerogative.

The fact of the matter is, a company like Leatherman is where they are because they let their product do the talking for them, not weirdos on the internet.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #86 on: October 17, 2010, 07:40:00 AM
We are not a marketing vehicle, we are a discussion group.  They market, we discuss.  It's that simple.  You can't get mad at them for not promoting discussions like we do any more than you can get mad at a fish for not being able to fly to the moon.

Def

Fish can't fly to the moon?

Are you sure about that?

Moon Fish

If you say so...

:rofl:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%