Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ByrdWrench and SpyderWrench initial impressions

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
ByrdWrench and SpyderWrench initial impressions
on: October 02, 2007, 02:01:30 AM
Well I've had the SpyderWrench for a few days now, and I got the ByrdWrench today, and I have to say, as unimpressed with the SW as I was, I am that much more so with the BW.  Frankly, the BW looks and feels like a $20 tool at best, not the $80 tool they are passing it off as.

The SW I feel was worth the money I paid, but mostly since it is a fantastic design, and an important part of multitool evolution.  I bought it more as a collection piece rather than a user. 

Overall the design that goes into both versions is functional, and the few things it does, it will do as good or better than many other tools- the adjustable wrench is nice, the pliers are sturdy, although in the "upper" part of the slip joint, the pliers are a little loose.  The screwdrivers are nice, but by the time you fold out the tool, remove the file, pull out the bit and place it in the end, you could have done the job with a dozen other tools and been on your way already.

The diamond file on the SW has a phillips screwdriver on one end and a flathead on the other, which helps the screwdriver situation, but the BW doesn't have that option.  It's not a diamond file, and it's flat on one and and pinted on the other.  It looks like Sal had some fun dropping screws into a wood chipper and this is what came out the other side.

Of course, if you need an adjustable wrench, I guess this is your only option... oh wait, there's the CRKT Cricket at about half the price....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline zackhugh

Re: ByrdWrench and SpyderWrench initial impressions
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 03:03:10 AM
Of course, if you need an adjustable wrench, I guess this is your only option... oh wait, there's the CRKT Cricket at about half the price....

Def

You mean Guppie?

Offline zackhugh

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 03:07:08 AM
Sorry to hear that about the BW.  I was wondering why the BW price was so close to the current SW price considering that the SW blade steel wasn't much better.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 09:34:16 AM
That's a shame I was hoping that it would be something a bit special, not over priced tat :(

Nice honest review though, thanks :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 02:01:05 PM

Def

You mean Guppie?

That's exactly what I mean, sorry.  A friend of mine calls all CRKT's "Crickets" and I guess I had that stuck in my head when I posted it!

I am glad I got the BW when I did.  We got a good deal from EDCDepot.com on them and as I said, for a collector, these are important pieces to have.  I'll probably pick up one of the new Taiwan made SW's sometime just to have the set.

Just for teh heck of it I tried a "blind" test last night.  I removed the files (a dead giveaway), closed my eyes and picked each of them up, played with the pliers etc and could not say which one was which with any accuracy.  I also avoided the blades, as that also would have soured the test because of the different shaped holes, but I can guarantee that the feel of the blade opening and the sturdiness of the lock kicking into place would have also made a big difference.  But, as far as the pliers go, they are virtually identical in function and feel.

Would I pay the extra for a Spyder over a Byrd?  Possibly, except that I don't think the new SW comes with a diamond file either, which is a glaring omission in my books, but then I've never made any secret of my preference for a diamond file.  The blade isn't bad on the BW- it's on par with many other multitool blades, so it's really not anything to complain about.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 05:18:40 PM
...Possibly, except that I don't think the new SW comes with a diamond file either, which is a glaring omission in my books, but then I've never made any secret of my preference for a diamond file. 

The new SpydeRench has a diamond file. http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,1995.0.html  The ByrdRench has a rasp.

...as unimpressed with the SW as I was, I am that much more so with the BW.  Frankly, the BW looks and feels like a $20 tool at best, not the $80 tool they are passing it off as.

When comparing the new SpydeRench to photos of the original SpydeRench and Tom's photos of the ByrdRench (http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,745.0.html) I don't see much difference.  Is the assembly not as good on the ByrdRench?  Can you elaborate a bit?

Offline supratentorial

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 05:30:26 PM

I don't think that the CRKT Guppie (Cricket) is a good option.  There's good reason that the Guppie is less expensive.  In my opinion, the wrench on the Guppie has no leverage and is poorly constructed.  One interesting feature of the SpydeRench/new SpydeRench/ByrdRench is that the wrench can be used with the handle fully extended (last photo), providing more leverage.

But I do think that the SpydeRench is more toy than tool.  In my opinion, carrying a regular spanner would be more practical than the SpydeRench, new SpydeRench, ByrdRench, or the Guppie.  The multi-tool wrenches don't open very wide.  A similar sized regular spanner would be small and easy to carry in a pocket.

When comparing the new SpydeRench or ByrdRench to the Original SpydeRench it may be interesting to note whether the "improvements" actually fix some of the original complaints about the Spyderench (e.g. retention spring falls out, bits fall out easily, etc).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 05:59:11 PM by supratentorial »

Offline supratentorial

Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 02:59:27 AM
I didn't have any spanners with a 1/2" capacity like the CRKT Guppie or a 9/16" capacity like the SpydeRench but here's a photo of a small spanner next to a SpydeRench for comparison.  Craftsman sells a 4" adjustable wrench with a 1/2" capacity. 

....a small adjustable wrench (not necessarily vintage  :P ) and a PST or a SAK would take up about the same pocket space as the SpydeRench.

* wrenches.jpg (Filesize: 58.38 KB)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 03:36:10 AM by supratentorial »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 12:59:09 PM
I didn't have any spanners with a 1/2" capacity like the CRKT Guppie or a 9/16" capacity like the SpydeRench but here's a photo of a small spanner next to a SpydeRench for comparison.  Craftsman sells a 4" adjustable wrench with a 1/2" capacity. 

....a small adjustable wrench (not necessarily vintage  :P ) and a PST or a SAK would take up about the same pocket space as the SpydeRench.

I have one of those wrenches!!  My grandad recently passed away and left me all his tools.  Some of his wrenches look quite old and I was going to do a topic on them to see if anyone knew anything about them.
I'm back!!

Offline supratentorial

Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 04:50:00 PM
I have one of those wrenches!!  My grandad recently passed away and left me all his tools.  Some of his wrenches look quite old and I was going to do a topic on them to see if anyone knew anything about them.

My condolences.

I’m actually much more of a tool fanatic then a multi-tool fanatic—mostly interested in planes and other woodworking tools.  I also inherited a large number of antique tools from my grandparents.  I also buy some antique tools on ebay and elsewhere.  I don’t remember where I bought the wrench—maybe on ebay.  It’s an old Frank Mossberg A-1 bicycle wrench, patented in 1900 and 1902. 

I’d be interested in seeing photos of some of the old tools you inherited. I'll keep an eye out for the new topic.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 12:36:13 AM

My condolences.

I’m actually much more of a tool fanatic then a multi-tool fanatic—mostly interested in planes and other woodworking tools.  I also inherited a large number of antique tools from my grandparents.  I also buy some antique tools on ebay and elsewhere.  I don’t remember where I bought the wrench—maybe on ebay.  It’s an old Frank Mossberg A-1 bicycle wrench, patented in 1900 and 1902. 

I’d be interested in seeing photos of some of the old tools you inherited. I'll keep an eye out for the new topic.

I will definitely get some pics up soon and I will PM you when I do so.  Would be great to know more about them.

Sorry to completely go off topic btw.  ::)  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 03:35:45 AM
I'm looking forward to the old tool topic as well Benner!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%