Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Core VS. Swisstool PART TWO!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Core VS. Swisstool PART TWO!
on: September 25, 2007, 02:02:18 AM
Well, the core and the swisstool are two very well made tools. Def prefers the swisstool, while me on the otherhand prefer the core. Here's why:

Pliers' I prefer the core pliers because they are true needlenose.

Knives- I will admit that I prefer the drop point swisstool blade because of how thin the edge is and its overall cutting but the serrated blade on the swisstool is in my opinion like a steak knife! While the core has real serrations that cut better.

Flat Head Screwdrivers- The core has hollow ground pro screwdrivers with an extremely long reach. The swisstools have medium reach but they are rounded off and are very slippery because of the polished finish.

Philip Screwdrivers- I prefer the cores because is like 2.5 inches and it fits screws well. While the swisstools is like 1.5 inches and it strips eventually because it is made of softer steel.

Awl- The awl on the core and swisstool are about the same I would call it a tie.

Wire Cutters- The cores are double the length of the swisstools and they have a stranded wire cutter on the bottom of the jaws. The cores actually cut much better too. I noticed that the core cuts slices the wire cleanly while the swisstool sort of bends it first then cuts.

Crimper- Deffinitly the core. The core has a real crimper while the swisstools crimper does just about the same as the pliers would just mashes them together.

Saw- I prefer the saw on the core because it is a little longer and it doesnt clog up as much as my swisstools.

File- The file on the swisstool is made of caseharderned steel and chips away and it doesnt work very well. While the cores is a much better file. It also goes to the tip unlike the swisstool.

Ruler- I really dont use this feature but I like the cores better because its easier to read.

Lanyard Ring- Core actually has one while victorinox claims that the hole on the side is one but to tell you the truth it really isnt a true ring. I find the core or swisstool too heavy to have around your neck anyways!

Finish- Swisstool for looks but the core is'nt as polished and it seems to grab onto screws better. But the swisstool has better rust resistance.

Ease of getting out tools- The swisstool is an outside opener and I could get the knife blade out of my core faster than I could out of my swisstool because the swisstool has spring tension on it so they don't clump. But the core doesnt have spring tension and it doesnt clump either because of individual washers.

Can Openers- I was never really fond of the can openers from vic. I find the core can opener works much better.

Bottle Opener- The core has a combonation and I would say its a tie between core and swisstool.

Wire Stripers- The core only has one, but the swisstol has a few and they work a little better than the leathermans.

In my opinion overall the core is far superior to the swisstool as far as performance. I think that the swiss try to put too many tools into one package like the carrying hook on the spirit the wirebender or even crate opener that is just a regular screwdriver. I think my core would beat my swisstool any day of the week!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 02:14:40 AM by Leatherman123 »
B

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Core VS. Swisstool PART TWO!
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 02:19:12 AM
In the interest of accuracy,

Philip Screwdrivers- I prefer the cores because is like 2.5 inches and it fits screws well. While the swisstools is like 1.5 inches and it strips eventually because it is made of softer steel.

The Core's phillips driver is 52mm long, while the SwissTool's is 48mm.  Thats a difference of 4mm, or around 1/8".

Otherwise, great arguments!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 02:21:17 AM
Yes, I sort of stretched the truth a little on that one! :grin:
B

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 02:29:30 AM
That's ok, your kind of measuring comes in handy sometimes!   >:D

I was actually surprised at the fairly small difference between the two- I also thought the Core's driver was significantly longer, but it only looks that way because it's much thinner.  In fact, I only measured them for my shootout because I just happened to have my calipers handy, but when I put them together initially, I was quite shocked.  To me, the Core's biggest claim to fame was always the drivers, but when it got right down to it, and I compared them to the SwissTool's they really didn't seem all that impressive.

Had I not had both tools side by side, I'd have probably given that point to the Core based on reputation alone.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline znapschatz

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 05:31:21 AM
Well, I tried a Swisstool for about 6 months to see how it compared to my Core.  During the first two weeks I was unable to reach a countersunk screw with one of the Swisstool drivers, could not work first a large capnut, then a stuck filler screwcap on a camp stove, both because the pliers jaws wouldn't open wide enough.  These were situations that never came up in ten years of Leatherman use.  Also, it seemed to me the Vic screwdrivers were more likely to slip when turned hard, and the Core cut wire more cleanly. 

When pulling out implements occasionally, the Swisstool outside opening was okay, but when the tool was in and out of action for a sustained period, my thumb would smart  and the nail get ragged.  Because of not being held in place by spring tension, the Core's tools were much easier to deploy, even with gloves on, something I couldn't manage with the Vic.  At a certain point, it was clear that for me, the Core was a better fit.  I still liked to fondle the beautifully finished Vic, but when it was tool time, I always reached for the Core.

Eventually, I decided to pass the Swisstool on to someone who would appreciate its qualities, but as I was getting ready to pack it up for shipping, my wife asked me to do a household job that would require tools.  So for one last time, I compared Swisstool and Core, side by side.  Results: the Swisstool ph head slipped, the Core didn't.  The blunt pliers jaws couldn't reach where I needed, the Core's needle nose did.  It was a fitting coda to my Swisstool experiment.  Within the hour it went off to its new owner, to whom I wish every happiness.   

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 06:58:02 AM
Could someone take a picture of the difference in how wide the pliers open.  I'm having a hard time visualizing it (I don't have either tool). 

Also, I'm assuming the phillips driver on the Spirit is the same as on the Swisstool... am I correct?  I've never felt that the driver on the Spirit is "slippy" at all.  At least, no more than any other phillips on a multi that I've used...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 10:27:22 AM
Could someone take a picture of the difference in how wide the pliers open.  I'm having a hard time visualizing it (I don't have either tool). 

Also, I'm assuming the phillips driver on the Spirit is the same as on the Swisstool... am I correct?  I've never felt that the driver on the Spirit is "slippy" at all.  At least, no more than any other phillips on a multi that I've used...
The philips on the Swisstool is 2-3 mm londer than the one on the spirit and it's got a wider head :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 12:03:20 PM
Interesting review mate :)

Before I get into it, let me just say that I've owned a few leathermans (Supertool, sideclip, 2x micra's and now a charge :)) but no core, so while I cant compare like to like, I can compare company to company :)

Up until I bought my first swisstool I was dead against the whole multi tool concept, as due to my leatherman experiences I found all multi tools an ergonomic nightmare especially against the humble SAK :(

Not to mention the problems I had with my leatherman's, my supertool was impossible to use with cold numb fingers, it rusted constantly (surface rust only though) the medium flat head chiped while tightening a screw (no reason to as i don't think it was under a lot of stress at the time >:() and worse of all was the less than perfect fit and finist and the slightly rattley pliers and bendy handles ::)

My side clip wasnt much better ::)

Enter Swisstool, superb lock up and ergo's, no hint of rust, no chips or rolled edges to the screw drivers despite a bit of abuse from time to time, build quality on a par with your average main battle tank :)

In fact to take the tank analogy further, if the leatherman was a good workman like design like the Sherman M4 the Swisstool is a  Konigstiger :o ,they both have there uses but I know which one I'd rather be in ;D

Now the Charge is a lot better than the old Leathermans I had, but even then I consider it inferior to the Spirit

As for the whole slippery screwdriver issue, In 14 years of Victorinox usage I've never had a problem with them, but maybe I've subcontiously adjusted my technique to compensate ???

Even so I'm inclined to belive that the slippery screwdrivers are just another urban myth :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:06:47 PM by micky d »

Offline znapschatz

Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 04:18:04 PM

As for the whole slippery screwdriver issue, In 14 years of Victorinox usage I've never had a problem with them, but maybe I've subcontiously adjusted my technique to compensate ???

Even so I'm inclined to belive that the slippery screwdrivers are just another urban myth :)

I'm sure we all adjust, consciously and not, to the tools we use, but it's definitely no myth.  Vic drivers slip.  My last experience of direct comparison confirmed that for me once again.   

Actually, for decades I have carried and use SAKs, in particular a Swisschamp and Tinker, both of which have performed very well.  However, I don't expect SAK tools to equal dedicated ones, and treat them accordingly.   Vic implements are good enough for the field expedient purposes they were made to handle, and over the years they have been so indispensible that I actually get emotional about them (a weakness of character, but I confess among the few who understand  :-[). 

OTOH, I expect more "tool-like" behavior from a multitool.  It is in that mind I find deficiencies in the Swisstool screwdrivers.  If I am to take on the extra weight and provide space on my person, the darn old thing had better perform to a higher standard, or what's the point?  I'm well aware that other people may see things differently, but the multitool characteristics I want most are more likely to be found in Leathermen than Swisstools.  If others prefers the Vic concept, that's nice and I wish them peace and good fellowship in life's journey.   :cheers:

Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 04:25:33 PM

I'm sure we all adjust, consciously and not, to the tools we use, but it's definitely no myth.  Vic drivers slip.  My last experience of direct comparison confirmed that for me once again.   

Actually, for decades I have carried and use SAKs, in particular a Swisschamp and Tinker, both of which have performed very well.  However, I don't expect SAK tools to equal dedicated ones, and treat them accordingly.   Vic implements are good enough for the field expedient purposes they were made to handle, and over the years they have been so indispensible that I actually get emotional about them (a weakness of character, but I confess among the few who understand  :-[). 

OTOH, I expect more "tool-like" behavior from a multitool.  It is in that mind I find deficiencies in the Swisstool screwdrivers.  If I am to take on the extra weight and provide space on my person, the darn old thing had better perform to a higher standard, or what's the point?  I'm well aware that other people may see things differently, but the multitool characteristics I want most are more likely to be found in Leathermen than Swisstools.  If others prefers the Vic concept, that's nice and I wish them peace and good fellowship in life's journey.   :cheers:

I do take you point about multi's being more tool like, and like you I to get emmotionaly attached to saks/multi's (there I've said it) But i can honestly say that I haven't had a problem of tool slippage, but then maybe I don't use them as much, as I tend to use the cutting tools far more than I do the drivers :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 05:02:16 PM
I use both, and have never detected any significant slippage in the screwdrivers myself.  I'm not saying it's not there, but perhaps as you say, after many years of using and carrying SAKs, I am familiar (conscious or not) with the limitations of polished tools, and use it accordingly.

Personal preference is the foundation of a forum like this one, and I welcome the disagreement!

Def

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 06:35:28 PM
My SwissTool X and Spirit's phillips screwdrivers require more clearance and don't grab fasteners as well as the Leatherman.  The Victorinox tools would be the bee's knees if they incorporated the superior Leatherman screwdrivers.  ;D

Overall, I prefer the Spirit and SwissTool X, but the Leatherman screwdrivers work better for me.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 01:17:39 AM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 12:43:19 AM
And the Leatherman diamond file as well...

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 10:05:10 PM
could not work first a large capnut, then a stuck filler screwcap on a camp stove, both because the pliers jaws wouldn't open wide enough. 

The early versions of the Swisstools pliers opened wider then the newer version

Dunc

Offline znapschatz

Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 10:39:57 PM
could not work first a large capnut, then a stuck filler screwcap on a camp stove, both because the pliers jaws wouldn't open wide enough. 

The early versions of the Swisstools pliers opened wider then the newer version

(Image removed from quote.)

Dunc

Oh, that is really interesting!  If that had been the version I owned, maybe my decision would have been different.  Or not.  Why do you supposed Vic changed the design?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 10:47:35 PM
I'm not sure but its the same style ( although a little bigger ) then the Spirits .The strange thing is with the pliers deployed but closed the handles on the new version are slightly further apart . When you grip something thin you can notice this and the older ones are more comfortable.

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 10:53:19 PM

Oh, that is really interesting!  If that had been the version I owned, maybe my decision would have been different.  Or not.  Why do you supposed Vic changed the design?

That is a good question, one that we have pondered for some time now. Check out the picture below; the changes were quite significant.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 11:45:53 PM
I didn't know that either ???, I'd be interested in an answer too :)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 11:54:08 PM
Bob if you dont mind me using your pic ( its better then mine ) I will email Robert Elsener and ask him .

Dunc

Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 11:57:56 PM
Bob if you dont mind me using your pic ( its better then mine ) I will email Robert Elsener and ask him .

Dunc
The plot thickens :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 02:37:15 AM

Dunc

Please, by all means. Just be sure to come back and tell us what he says!  ;)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 10:04:39 AM
Email sent . I will post the reply as soon as I recieve it .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 07:57:57 PM
Just got a reply and started a new post here http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2463.new.html#new

Dunc

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 01:30:11 AM
WOW, I just re-read my review.. I had a complete biased opinion! 
B

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 02:54:44 AM
WOW, I just re-read my review.. I had a complete biased opinion! 

Wise men always change their minds...  ;)

Carlos
(

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 01:28:36 PM
I refuse to read your ridiculous comparison until you provide pictures.  :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 06:21:47 AM
Well after getting a Core in the last few days  ::) thought I'd bring this thread back up ;)

I have compared the 2 and weighed each tools out and for no particular reason I like them both equally

The Swisstool has it's wonderfully fine design and layout, fit and finish and as well does the Core both very superb big sized MTs :cheers:

But I do like most MTs that I buy my Super Tool is also a great tool now I need to find a Super Tool 200 :tu:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 04:12:36 PM
How do the chisel and the crate opener work on the Core vs. those on the Swisstool?

Oh yeah, I forgot.  The Core doesn't have those tools!  :D
- Terry

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 04:47:41 PM
The large flathead can be used as a prybar. Who needs a chisel?
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 08:41:59 PM
The large flathead can be used as a prybar. Who needs a chisel?

A chiseller?  :P
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44