Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first LED Light

Sean · 24 · 2820

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
My first LED Light
on: September 13, 2010, 12:34:17 AM
Don't laugh too hard, but I have little experience and knowledge when it comes time to some
things and flashlights are one of them.  :)  I thought I would venture into it gradually and
upon assisting at a minor motor vehicle accident the other night and finding myself in need of
illumination I just picked up an LED flashlight.
Inserting the batteries, it's bright, not sure how it will fare in other areas like battery life and
such but the price was right for a first timer and comes with a good warranty.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/Flashlights/PRD~0652069P/NOMA%252BHigh%252BOutput%252BCree%252B3W%252BFlashlight.jsp?locale=en#BVRRWidgetID

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: My first LED Light
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:18:53 AM
Not keen on 3 AAA lights. If the light works for you and you are happy with it, that's all that matters.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:25:15 AM
Not keen on 3 AAA lights. If the light works for you and you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

Is it the battery life?  :)

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:35:40 AM
It's the size VS output. I'd much rather have a single AA. A 2xAA is generally comparable in size with better performance. That being said, it's all preference and if it works for you, it works for you.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:44:53 AM
Thanks, I'll be heading out tonight after dark and test it out at the school next door.  I just bought it
for general usage.  I'll see how it throws out the light and the battery life as well.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:43:18 AM
I just bought one of those myself. At least AAA are ubiquitous. The flashlight is brighter then everything else I have currently.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 03:02:27 AM
I just bought one of those myself. At least AAA are ubiquitous. The flashlight is brighter then everything else I have currently.

that's good to hear Chako.  :)  I'll be looking forward to seeing just how bright this thing is.  :tu:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 03:13:06 AM
I find AA are easier to find. But yeah that's why I won't go to CR23 and the like. Can't find em.

Offline LightYourLife

• New User
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 08:11:48 AM
i got my first [/URL], fashion & amazing.

EDIT (NutSAK): Yes it's spamtacular!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:47:10 PM by NutSAK »

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 08:21:44 AM
Why laugh?  Great light, gave one to my dad for an emergency light.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:37:45 PM

Is it the battery life?  :)

The only problem I have with any inexpensive, 3x cell (4.5v) lights is that they are unregulated.  The batteries directly drive the LED with no regulation circuit between.  This makes for an inexpensive light that works, but it will start out bright on new batteries and gradually dim.  It works well for an emergency light that you want to run for a long time and don't care about maintaining brightness, but it's not something I would want to use frequently.

Plus, AAA cells are pretty pathetic when it comes to energy storage.  AAA cells contain less than half the energy (mAh) of AA cells, and to me are not worth the space they save unless it's an absolute must that the application be compact.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:48:28 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 09:22:09 PM

The only problem I have with any inexpensive, 3x cell (4.5v) lights is that they are unregulated.  The batteries directly drive the LED with no regulation circuit between.  This makes for an inexpensive light that works, but it will start out bright on new batteries and gradually dim.  It works well for an emergency light that you want to run for a long time and don't care about maintaining brightness, but it's not something I would want to use frequently.

Plus, AAA cells are pretty pathetic when it comes to energy storage.  AAA cells contain less than half the energy (mAh) of AA cells, and to me are not worth the space they save unless it's an absolute must that the application be compact.

I have a number of 3xAAA lights that are regulated.  In fact, the Noma that Sean posted is regulated as well.  Really kind of an unfair generalization.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 09:41:19 PM

I have a number of 3xAAA lights that are regulated.  In fact, the Noma that Sean posted is regulated as well.  Really kind of an unfair generalization.

You're right.  Ignore my regulation comments, I didn't bother to look at the specs (or price) of the flashlight in question.  I did say "inexpensive" 3x cell flashlights, so I wasn't exactly generalizing.  I don't consider the Noma an inexpensive light.  I refrained from using the word "cheap" in my explanation, but that's what I meant when I said inexpensive.

My comments about AAA cells still stand.  I don't understand why a manufacturer would choose to power a regulated light with 3xAAA when there are much better options out there.  (IMO, of course)

Is there some benefit to using AAA cells that I'm missing?  I understand that they're probably trying to maximize efficiency by providing high voltage (4.5v) before the regulator but, if it's going to be regulated, there are other widely available cell options that would allow better energy density in a similarly-sized package.
- Terry

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 11:17:16 PM
You're right.  Ignore my regulation comments, I didn't bother to look at the specs (or price) of the flashlight in question.  I did say "inexpensive" 3x cell flashlights, so I wasn't exactly generalizing.  I don't consider the Noma an inexpensive light.  I refrained from using the word "cheap" in my explanation, but that's what I meant when I said inexpensive.

My comments about AAA cells still stand.  I don't understand why a manufacturer would choose to power a regulated light with 3xAAA when there are much better options out there.  (IMO, of course)

Is there some benefit to using AAA cells that I'm missing?  I understand that they're probably trying to maximize efficiency by providing high voltage (4.5v) before the regulator but, if it's going to be regulated, there are other widely available cell options that would allow better energy density in a similarly-sized package.

I think it's likely a cost and availability issue.  Yeah, there are people (like us!) that will go out of our way to pick up CR123s, 14500s or 18650s to run flashlights, but most people won't do it.  AAAs are cheap, available everywhere, and putting in a battery holder and wiring up 3 AAAs provides higher voltage (though not amperage) than a C or D.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 02:21:11 AM
I didn't mean to compare AAAs to lithiums or Li-Ions.  I use AAs more than anything, and I just dont see the point of 3xAAA vs. 2xAA if you're going to regulate.  I even have a well-regulated 1xD cell light that performs very well with an efficient circuit.  Weight, of course is the main drawback with that one, but we're not talking about lights to carry around in pocket

I guess I've always considered AAA cells best  for tiny, low power, single-cell lights and not really worthwhile in multiples.  If AAA were more abundantly available than AA I would have a different opinion but, that's not the case, at least at my location.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:27:31 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 02:37:06 AM
I'm with NutSAK on this one. Maybe not quite so vehemently, but I feel the same way. As said before, most people aren't flashaholics, or overly picky, so long as it produces light. If it produces the light you need, and you are happy with it, then that's all that really matters. Some of us are just pickier than that lol.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 04:02:01 AM
There are some very nice one ant two cell AAA lites , my only big bitch wit the cells , is that they are very leakage prone .

Chris

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 06:11:04 AM
There are some very nice one ant two cell AAA lites , my only big bitch wit the cells , is that they are very leakage prone .

Chris

Alkalines, yes.  I try not to assume when someone discusses a cell format (AAA, AA, etc.) that they are referring to a specific chemistry.
- Terry

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 08:55:30 PM
Keep in mind MOST people are referring to Alkaline, as it is by far the mos widely used and known. AAA has it's place, and makes for a wonderful form factor in a keychain light. Had my Fenix L0D for a couple years now and love it, but as a "primary" light, I'll stick with AA. Right now I'm using an Eneloop in my Maratac 9290 (iTP C7 T) and love the output I get on a single, commonly sized, easily replaceable, rechargeable cell, in a form factor that's more compact than any multiple AAA light I've seen. Thing is, most people don't really carry lights around with them everywhere, hardly ever use one, and only even think about them when the power goes out. Those people also couldn't care less if they get a nice stable 120 OTF Lumens for over an hour, they only care that they can see their way to the breaker box in the basement.

Having a single diode throw a beam of photons over a mile isn't much of an issue for the vast majority of people. If you can buy batteries for it, the light is reliable, and it produces enough light for you to do your thing, then that's all you really need to worry about. The only light my GF owns is the blue Photon on her keychain, and it gets her by day in and day out for a couple years now (she was issued it at work, and relies on it all the time outside and around the house).

I, on the other hand would rather have a single diode, powered by a single battery, that fits in my pocket, catapult a torrent of photonic energy half way across my neighborhood.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 09:08:29 PM
Yesterday I grabbed 4 new rechargeables plus a new charger so should be set to go.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 11:50:59 PM
Keep in mind MOST people are referring to Alkaline, as it is by far the mos widely used and known.

True.  I don't consider us the same as "most people" though, and we are the ones discussing it.  Chemistry had not been mentioned at all in this thread, so I wasn't going to assume we were discussing a certain one.
- Terry

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 02:41:48 AM
You do have a fair point, but keep in mind, this isn't CPF either.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 05:11:42 AM
I'll be sure to keep all that in mind.  :P
- Terry

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 05:28:51 AM
:p