Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitasker Series2, first impressions

J-sews · 49 · 12729

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Re: Multitasker Series2, first impressions
Reply #30 on: October 21, 2010, 09:26:24 PM
Also, it's nice to see a multitool company actually take advantage of Chinese manufacturing (ie. good quality possible at a cost very low compared to US-made stuff) like Kershaw and Spyderco have done with knives.

Yeah, I'm hoping Multitasker becomes the Fenix of the multitool world. Also any idea about price? How much is the AR version? For a tool of this quality, I would be willing to pay quite a bit, but the only multitool that sells (not lists but actually sells) for more than $100 is the TTi. I guess the MUT will sell for more but it's not really available quite yet.

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010, 01:12:42 AM
At Brownells, the Gen2 Multitasker is going for $89.99, the Ultralight for $69.99, and the Tube for $40.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 01:33:08 AM
At Brownells, the Gen2 Multitasker is going for $89.99, the Ultralight for $69.99, and the Tube for $40.

$90 sounds OK to me for the EDC version.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010, 02:00:32 AM
Yeah, I'm with Slack 100% It NEEDS a reg. pliers section because I also grab a lot of stuff that isn't a nut/bolt with 'em. Same with the tanto blade, could live with it, and it does help the tool stand out that bit more, but for general utility I'd rather have something else. This thing does have the potential to be THE multi-tool of choice, so I think we all just wanna make sure it lives up to the potential it has.

Offline xamoel

Reply #34 on: October 24, 2010, 06:56:42 PM
looks like an extremely well built tool!

now if you had to choose between this and the LM MUT (which costs twice, btw), which would you get (not regarding the price)?

the MUT just seems a tiny bit better suited for everyday use, the Mulittasker focuses a LOT on shooters it seems.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 06:57:11 PM
Some more information on another thread I made. I thought it would fit in here nicely as well. Bob, hope you don't mind?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,23876.0.html
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: November 02, 2010, 01:34:47 AM
Some more information on another thread I made. I thought it would fit in here nicely as well. Bob, hope you don't mind?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,23876.0.html

Not a problem sir :salute: Nice pictures as usual. :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 01:55:56 AM
Bob, if you don't mind my shameless self promotion, I'm going to post a link to my most recent review. I think you can all guess what multitool it is ;)

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 11:56:56 PM
I just wanted to add something to this thread, I have several of the Multitasker brand products and thought I would input my thoughts and opinions on these innovative products. I'm not a AR or gun guy so these opinions are based solely on aesthetics and how they are in comparison to similar products on the market and other multitools.

I own 3 multitasker AR tools, one of which is a Series 1 and the other two are Series 2 with one of the later being that with the ball bearing pivot. The Multitasker tool is definitely a think outside of the box platform. A lot of todays multitools can be the same run of the mill when it comes to construction and design with some few exceptions coming from companies such as Gerber and Leatherman. What sets the stage for the multitasker tool is not really the overall design but the construction and the materials used in the tool itself. The multitasker tool is entirely made in china, most tools produced over seas are manufactured with a price point in mind and quality takes a back seat. Shane who is the owner of multitasker set forth a task for his manufacturing. Make it the best you can make it and have the overall cost be less important. That blew away the the mindset they have had from other companies that did business with them. They however accepted the challenge and went to building this tool for Shane.

Shane wanted to break the mold with his tool, not only did he want to create a tool that was AR specific but he wanted it tough and wanted to use materials and manufacturing processes not seem in mainstream tool design. Heck not even seen at all for that fact. The multitasker has a similar layout to victorinox or bear tools in the respect that the tools are accessible from the outside while the tool is in the closed position. That is pretty much where the similarity ends. Clad in G10 scales (or handles) the multitasker grips you when you grip it back. It's nice to see G10 used on a tool and it can come in handy when your hands or wet or cold and it's hard to maintain a grip on the tool.

All of the tools in the multitasker are cut from steel using wire EDM. Wire EDM is a machining process in which an electrically charged wire about the width of a hair is used to cut through a material with incredible accuracy. The result is a part that can be cut to any specification that is not stamped like tradtional tool and comes out perfect each time.

The multitasker is one of the only multitools to feature an on board 1/4 inch driver rather than seperate phillips and flat. The driver is very strong and can accept any standard screwdriver bit. What is really nice about it is the fact it can be used at the fully open position and at a 90 degree angle for those really stubborn screws.

What really separates this tool from the pack is the plier head. Most plier heads used on multitools are cast rather than forged like the old days. The multitasker goes in an entirely different direction and rather than being cast it's cut from a solid billet of D2 steel using the same wire EDM that the parts are cut from. The end result is a head that is stronger than traditional plier heads and formed more precise with less flaws than with cast. Being D2 it has a hardness higher than stainless so the wirecutters are tempered harder and stay sharper longer. Nothing worse than you ruining a set of cutters because they couldnt stant up to the task. The new plier head also sports a ball bearing pivot. What in the world is that you ask? Well one of the problems with making multitool plier heads is getting the two halves to fit together so they have no play but are not so tight it affects the action of the pivot. The multitasker solves this issue by installing two ball bearing rollers on either side of the plier head. The result is a plier head that glides smoothly open and close and does not bind in either direction. It is simply the smoothest plier pivot on the market.

Overall the multitasker is setting the stage and showing other multitool manufacturers what can be done with modern materials and machining techniques.  I think other guys such as leatherman and like are watching Shane and taking notes. The only thing is I don't know if they could compete with the price point. Most of the big boys in the industry would not want to outsource to make the price more affordable like multitaskertools have done. Either way this tool is something completely revolutionary and really something to stand up and take notice of. I wish Shane and Multitasker the best and think the company has a bright future. Hook me up with an EDC version and you got my attention for real.

I do also have an Multitasker brand TUBE I will comment on when I get some more time, work has me busy as a beaver. :-)

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 01:57:15 AM
Well said David. I really really cant wait for the EDC,
Also I just saw Shan'es comment on Mark's video review, he says the washers aren't brass but are aluminum bronze. What exactly does that mean, I've never heard of an aluminum bronze alloy. Is it better, worse, or comparable to brass?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 03:08:13 AM
Also I just saw Shan'es comment on Mark's video review, he says the washers aren't brass but are aluminum bronze. What exactly does that mean, I've never heard of an aluminum bronze alloy. Is it better, worse, or comparable to brass?

The bronze alloy washers have a self-lubricating property to them. (plain brass has no such quality to it) Bronze washers mean the blade action will always be silky smooth. :salute:

They really do make a difference, and are yet another example of the best-quality-spare-no-expense approach taken by Multitasker. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 03:11:32 AM

The bronze alloy washers have a self-lubricating property to them. (plain brass has no such quality to it) Bronze washers mean the blade action will always be silky smooth. :salute:

They really do make a difference, and are yet another example of the best-quality-spare-no-expense approach taken by Multitasker. :)

When I read stuff like this I just get more and more excited for the EDC version.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 03:14:17 AM

When I read stuff like this I just get more and more excited for the EDC version.

Perhaps if we were to break out the BIG pokey stick....

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 03:17:28 AM
Is D2 stronger than the replaceable ST300/MUT cutters?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 03:44:28 AM
That's one of those Yes, No, and Maybe questions. :D

It all depends on what we mean by "stronger". As a cutting steel, there is almost nothing stronger than D2, providing it is heat treated to full hardness of 60 Rc or more. But because something that hard would also be brittle, and you don't really want brittle needlenose pliers, I suspect Multitasker only hardens the D2 up to 45-50 Rc, which is a good compromise. (I'm just guessing here. I've probably been told what the plier hardness is and forgotten) :P

Leatherman gets around this "compromise" by using replaceable cutters. Their pliers can be left a little soft, so they are less likely to snap, and the cutter inserts, which only have one job, which is to cut, can be heat treated to a full hardness.

Which is why, as we speak, Multitasker is prototyping a replaceable cutter model of their own. :tu:

ps ~ Leatherman uses 154CM for the cutters, which is an excellent grade of stainless powdered metal, but it wouldn't hold a candle to fully hardened D2 cutters. :salute:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: November 12, 2010, 01:45:22 PM

Ah, see that's where I was confused, I thought that plain brass washers had that same self lubricating quality, didn't realize it was only the alloy that behaved that way.
Can't wait to get my hands on some solid billet D2 pliers, with ball bearing pivots, and replaceable cutters. That's just insane for any tool, let alone a multi. Just make sure IT HAS A REGULAR PIERS SECTION.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: November 13, 2010, 02:48:49 AM
Which is why, as we speak, Multitasker is prototyping a replaceable cutter model of their own. :tu:

A good thing can always be made better 8)

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 02:59:45 AM

A good thing can always be made better 8)

(Image removed from quote.)

Especially if it has a regular pliers section.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: November 13, 2010, 03:11:44 AM
Especially if it has a regular pliers section.

Especially if that! :salute: :salute: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%