Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Jobsite observation .

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Jobsite observation .
on: November 17, 2010, 02:33:11 AM
I have noticed a decline in the number of metal and plastic toolboxes , the kool kids seem to be going with nylon tool bags . Most power tool combo kits also come in bags . In this regard i was ahead of the curved , as i have been a bag whore since forever .

I only wish they would make dark colored bags with white / bright / or yellow liners , tis a bugger to see anything inside a black bag in subdued light .

Cordless impacts have proliferated alarmingly , I even have one , a little Hilti 14.4 volt unit . Small , tuff , and gives me more than enuff torque fo my pourposes .

Chris

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Jobsite observation .
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:13:25 AM
I have noticed a decline in the number of metal and plastic toolboxes , the kool kids seem to be going with nylon tool bags . Most power tool combo kits also come in bags . In this regard i was ahead of the curved , as i have been a bag whore since forever .

I only wish they would make dark colored bags with white / bright / or yellow liners , tis a bugger to see anything inside a black bag in subdued light .

Cordless impacts have proliferated alarmingly , I even have one , a little Hilti 14.4 volt unit . Small , tuff , and gives me more than enuff torque fo my pourposes .

Chris
Me to!

It's a bugger to see anything in my Stanley one at work ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 10:00:47 AM
I agree with the colored liner, but I don't like what's offered.  I think the solution for me would be a khaki bag, but I hated the one I had(jumbo).  My black jumbo looks so much cooler, but I can't see a thing inside it!

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 07:41:26 PM
My "tool box" in my truck these days is actually a "tool bag".

Yes, I do see this as a trend for sure. Most of the folks I work with or for also carry a tool bag of some sort as opposed to the old box type.

I think the advantage to the bags are the many pockets and pouches and such. Mine also fits my hard hat perfectly in the main compartment. I could never get that into any of my old tool boxes.

Prior to the bag I was toting the tool bucket with one of those nylon bucket apron type tool organizers. I still think those are a great solution, as the bucket itself can come in handy. But they are bulky, and I don't need as many tools these days in my current role.

When I was able to downsize my truck tools, the bucket got given away to a project manager, and that's when I bought a bag. Holds just what I need and nothing more.

Hardhat
OSHA approved extension cord
Vice Grip
Full set of drivers
Tin snips (Wiss of course)
razor knife
blades
measuring tape
super glue
liquid nails tube
7 in 1 tool
door hinge tool
hammer
mallet
some stainless nails
Channel Lock pliers
work gloves
safety glasses

I also keep a medium pry bar on the floor of the truck next to the bag

And I need to put my small level back in the bag, along with a good carpenters pencil. Just noticed those are not in there. Probably took them out at home for a project.

Some of that stuff would be awkward in a tool box. But it all fits fine in the bag. And because most of what I use is in outside pouches and pockets, I can just grab what I need and go. No need to bring the whole bag most of the time.

G

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 09:07:57 PM
i still like tool boxes like these  :tu:

but i digress, i have a large tool case in the shed but must confess i bring a selection of choice items to site in a bag these days
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:14:02 PM
Screwtape:  If I recall correctly, wasn't part of the procedure from graduating from apprentice to master woodworker involving the constructing of your own tool case, similar to that which you've posted?

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 09:27:24 PM
I do believe your right, and as well being a graduation piece the tool case was also a sort of advert to show off the carpenters best work.

I'm a bit of a sucker for old tool cases and work benches probably because I know that I could never recreate  anything like them myself.
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:42:03 AM
I use little push-on lamps in my toolbag (and everywhere else) to light it up.

They cost about $3 each somewhere. Cheap crap Terrible for most things, but enough light for an enclosed space like a toolbag or engine bay.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 07:08:51 PM
I had to make a toolbox when I did my carpentry and joinery guilds many hundreds of years ago, and it still have it but it's strictly for storage, not lugging around.

That Studley chest is utterly delicious  :drool:

I too have a bit of nylon baggage for my general purpose tool bag. One of those short fat ones with pockets round the edges. It does the job just fine really expect my level and long saw don't fit in it. I tend to throw them on the top if they're needed. Been going strong for about 10 years so can't be that bad.

All my other tools (more speSmurfpillst and less commonly used) go in something like this:

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Pacu

Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 07:35:00 PM
i carry a nylon bag..2 actually. I'm a jack of all trades at my job. I keep adding tools based on what the job calls for. My boss has the team issued expensive tools like a lan tester, cable tracers, satellite meter and some other comm equipment.

I'm big on Klein tools.

:like:    :MTO:

us Offline danbomb

Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 03:40:47 AM
This backpack workbench inspired me to start a new business- mobile guitar repair.
http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/park-bw-1/
w

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21