Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ten Things Everyone Should Be Able To Do

Poll

How many can you do?  Check all that apply....

Change a tire
82 (10.8%)
Clean and bandage a cut
85 (11.2%)
Repair a hole in the wall
65 (8.5%)
Change a light fixture
75 (9.9%)
Paddle a boat
76 (10%)
Check and fill your oil
81 (10.6%)
Change a wiper blade
79 (10.4%)
Build something basic from wood
76 (10%)
Swap out a hard drive or CD/DVD drive
61 (8%)
Change a fuse
81 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 87

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Re: Ten Things Everyone Should Be Able To Do
Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 08:41:15 PM
Let's see...  :think:

1-   Change a tire
Done it on my bike, but never on a car. I guess I can figure out how it works, but I am not sure if I am strong enough to do it

2-   Clean and bandage a cut
It's always me who does it if someone cuts himself... No problem for me  :tu:

3-   Repair a hole in the wall
Hmm... I have done it, but I don't know how to do it correctly. In our residential accomodation the way to do it was to fill it with toothpaste  :rofl: I guess I could do it after researching how to do it

4-   Change a light fixture
I learned a little bit about basic electrical stuff. Put together some cables etc. Should not be a big problem

5-   Paddle a boat

I don't have a boat, but I spend 2 holidays in a boat. I love it  :tu:

6-   Check your oil
No problem

7-   Change a wiper blade
Never done that, but I guess that shouldn't be a problem

8-   Build something basic out of wood
Did some very basic things, my better half does the complicated things.

9-   Swap out a hard drive or CD/DVD drive
No problem

10-   Change a fuse
Never done that if I remember correctly, but shouldn't be a problem

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 09:22:11 PM
1-   Change a tire - several times but the most memorable time was at 5am during a blowing snowstorm here in North Texas while on my paper delivery route in a rural area. The back end of my station wagon was full of newspapers and covered up the spare. My wife was with me but she stayed inside. LOL Sounds a lot worse than it really was.

2-   Clean and bandage a cut - many times. I dare say most guys like to pick scabs off while younger so this one is should be easy for most guys.

3-   Repair a hole in the wall - some from holes I made and others like mouse or rat holes. I once covered a nice size hole in drywall by back gluing a flat piece of drywall behind the hole and filled in the area with spackle/mud and repainted. It looked almost new.

4-   Change a light fixture - many times. Also some involved changing them out to ceiling fans.

5-   Paddle a boat - a few times. Once was on a motorboat that the motor went out and we had to paddle back to shore/dock. Was not easy since we did not have regular oars. We used life jackets and the top lid off a beer cooler.

6-   Check your oil - I have been doing this since I was about 10 with my Dad. I am not a professional mechanic but I can do quite a few things to my car. I do not change my own oil anymore due to the cost.

7-   Change a wiper blade - see #6. I worked at a full service gas station for my uncle back when in high school. I learned how to do many things up to and including changing out a transmission on a Chevy Truck.

8-   Build something basic out of wood - not only did I do this while in school "shop" class but I have worked with wood many times since then doing repairs around the house or building sheds, etc.

9-   Swap out a hard drive or CD/DVD drive - done this several times. I have built a working computer from spare parts before and only once did I make a mistake(wrong type of memory crashed the motherboard).

10-   Change a fuse - home and car several times.

I may be able to handle some of the smaller type repairs but I know my place and leave certain things to the pros.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 10:35:00 PM
6-   Check your oil - I have been doing this since I was about 10 with my Dad. I am not a professional mechanic but I can do quite a few things to my car. I do not change my own oil anymore due to the cost.

I would have put "Change your oil" on the list, but I didn't simply because of the inconvenience nowadays with having to go to the garage anyway to dispose of the oil properly. 

checked all.

I think it was too easy, maybe I've understood something wrong.

That's the point.  For many guys a list like this is second nature, and while not all of us have done all these things, I doubt many of us would hesitate to do them if they needed to be done.

However, lots of people I know, of both genders, are incapable of doing most or even all of these things, and I'm sad to say that my brother and my wife are both in that category.

I've managed all that stuff at some point or another, but that's the kind of girl I am ;)

I haven't delivered a foal, but I have assisted with a lamb and a calf :)

I think basic plumbing is really important too, and survival skills like fire lighting, knot tying and shelter building.

Fire starting and shelter building were initially on the list, but I took them off as modern life (for the most part) doesn't really require skills like those.  The rest are the kinds of things anyone could likely encounter any time in their daily life.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 11:03:53 PM
Done them all as well, except for the hardrive part. My PC skills are limited.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

pl Offline WilkBury

• First To Fight
Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 01:11:06 AM
I have done everything with one exception - paddling a boat. But I see no problem to do it if I needed to. I grew up in a place with no lakes or rivers suitable for boating  :o  Bicycle was my friend since I was three years old  :D
Many years later I have bought an old VW Beetle - owning it was a good lesson. I have kept my Bug alive for 17 years doing all necessary repairs and maintenance only by myself. Everything in it but tranny and engine (both were removed though) was taken apart and then put together. It was nice feeling to learn how things work and that everything was done right.  :tu:
My father was my master - he knows almost everything about classic cars.  :salute:

As to horses - I know how to use these blades:

>:D
"Think Different"

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 01:14:38 AM
Do I get bonus points for at least knowing what they're for :D

I'm actually allergic to most furry creatures so you won't catch me using them :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 01:33:06 AM
I have done everything with one exception - paddling a boat. But I see no problem to do it if I needed to. I grew up in a place with no lakes or rivers suitable for boating  :o  Bicycle was my friend since I was three years old  :D
Many years later I have bought an old VW Beetle - owning it was a good lesson. I have kept my Bug alive for 17 years doing all necessary repairs and maintenance only by myself. Everything in it but tranny and engine (both were removed though) was taken apart and then put together. It was nice feeling to learn how things work and that everything was done right.  :tu:
My father was my master - he knows almost everything about classic cars.  :salute:

(Image removed from quote.)

Awesome.  :salute:

Do you work with horses?

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 01:37:45 AM
Only one I did not tick was the changing of the CD/DVD drive , not done that BUT I have smashed the absolute smurfers out of a rogered hard drive , does that count  :P :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 01:40:10 AM
In a word, no.  But I suppose its better than you rodgering the absolute smurfers out of a smashing hard drive :think: :P
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 01:51:13 AM
In a word, no.  But I suppose its better than you rodgering the absolute smurfers out of a smashing hard drive :think: :P

Sounds painful  :o :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

pl Offline WilkBury

• First To Fight
Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 02:21:41 AM
These are hoof knives. They are used for reshaping frogs and soles:

Unlike mustangs, domesticated horses need some hoof maintenance. More or less every six weeks hoofs need trimming and reshaping by a farrier. When horse wears no shoes and goes barefoot his hoofs may look like this one:

then a farrier comes and after his visit they look like this one:

I'm actually allergic to most furry creatures so you won't catch me using them :)
I am sorry to hear that  >:(
"Think Different"

pl Offline WilkBury

• First To Fight
Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 02:31:56 AM

Awesome.  :salute:

Do you work with horses?

Horses - no, horse - yes.  ;) And only ocassionally as an amateur - when horses hoofs are not very strong properly used hoof knife and rasp

between farriers visits achieves better results.  :salute:
"Think Different"

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 03:57:08 AM

I think for the people who tend to follow this forum, most of these things are fairly common.  Not trying to offend anyone...

I wonder what the poll would show if the tasks were design a web page, pierce an ear, order a 7-course delivery meal...  You now- more urban tasks.      ;)
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 04:05:36 AM

I think for the people who tend to follow this forum, most of these things are fairly common.  Not trying to offend anyone...

I wonder what the poll would show if the tasks were design a web page, pierce an ear, order a 7-course delivery meal...  You now- more urban tasks.      ;)

If your web page standard is from back in 2000, sure, I can design a page. Piercing, well depends on how tightly bound is the subject.  :D

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 04:05:57 AM
Ya left out a couple of important ones , to love and be loved . Comfort the sick/old / dying , sooth a crying child should also be on the list . To give and recieve with grace should also be in there somewhere .

Chris

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #45 on: November 18, 2010, 04:08:46 AM
Ya left out a couple of important ones , to love and be loved . Comfort the sick/old / dying , sooth a crying child should also be on the list . To give and recieve with grace should also be in there somewhere .

Chris

It's easy to forget some of the most important talents.

There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 09:41:21 AM
Done it all and then some.  Most with just a multitool.  I was born with the curse of "if I don't know how I will figure it out".  It has led to more expenses than I care to count but for a young man of 25, I don't have to call a professional very often.  (though I have shocked myself, it hurts)

I think I patched my first sheetrock hole when I was about 10 years old. 

Changed out my first fuse around the same age.

Hell, I think my dad made sure I could do all of those things before i turned 15. 

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 01:13:37 PM
These are hoof knives. They are used for reshaping frogs and soles:

Unlike mustangs, domesticated horses need some hoof maintenance. More or less every six weeks hoofs need trimming and reshaping by a farrier. When horse wears no shoes and goes barefoot his hoofs may look like this one:

I didn't knew that I knew. Cool.
then a farrier comes and after his visit they look like this one:

I am sorry to hear that  >:(

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #48 on: November 18, 2010, 01:14:12 PM

Chris

there's something in my signature ;)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #49 on: November 20, 2010, 12:11:26 AM
Done most on the list.

I'm not a "gun nut," though I do own guns, but I would still add this to the list:

11) Know how to safe a firearm.

Even if you don't like/use them, I think that would be a good skill to have if you ever come across one.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: November 20, 2010, 04:11:39 PM
Just today I checked and filled up oil on our car. First time on this car, and I looked up what the other things there were good for  :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #51 on: November 20, 2010, 05:48:58 PM
Good to hear it!

When it comes to certain things on cars, I really wish they were standardized- things like windshield wiper and headlight controls, as well as oil dipsticks.  I have spent a lot of time searching for all three of these things on various cars, as manufacturers like to torment consumers by sticking them in different places!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #52 on: November 20, 2010, 08:19:38 PM
Good to hear it!

When it comes to certain things on cars, I really wish they were standardized- things like windshield wiper and headlight controls, as well as oil dipsticks.  I have spent a lot of time searching for all three of these things on various cars, as manufacturers like to torment consumers by sticking them in different places!

Def
No kidding! Back when I was a full time service station attendant many times I had to ask the customer where the gas cap was or oil dip stick. Ran across a few old vintage cars that were everyday drivers and the gas caps were in some of the strangest places.  Another thing is the ignition key switch. Some European manufacturers used to put them in strange places when compared to US Auto manufacturers. SAAB comes to mind as does Audi.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #53 on: November 21, 2010, 12:22:40 AM
That reminds me  :think:  I must get a longer dipstick for my car . The current one no longer reaches the oil .

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: November 21, 2010, 12:39:11 AM
That reminds me  :think:  I must get a longer dipstick for my car . The current one no longer reaches the oil .

:rofl:

Wait, you are kidding, right?  :o

;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #55 on: November 21, 2010, 12:40:32 AM
Dunc, pardon my ignorance, but unless anything else has changed - be it motor, et cetera - why is it that the stick no longer reaches the oil level; wouldn't that instead imply that the oil level is too low?  :think:

:rofl:

Wait, you are kidding, right?  :o

;)

:rofl:   :rofl:    :rofl:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #56 on: November 21, 2010, 12:41:44 AM
>.>  It took me a minute... I'm just happy I could delete my post before I looked like a laughing stock.   ::)  :drink:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #57 on: November 21, 2010, 12:45:19 AM
>.>  It took me a minute... I'm just happy I could delete my post before I looked like a laughing stock.   ::)  :drink:

But its still there in my quote  :P    >:D

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #58 on: November 21, 2010, 12:47:02 AM

But its still there in my quote  :P    >:D

Egads, poo. :-[

:D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #59 on: November 21, 2010, 12:54:44 AM
Time for another oil joke ..........

A few days ago I was having some work done at my local garage. A blonde came in and asked for a seven-hundred-ten. We all looked at each other and another customer asked, "What is a seven-hundred-ten?"

She replied, "You know, the little piece in the middle of the engine, I have lost it and need a new one." She replied that she did not know exactly what it was, but this piece had always been there. The mechanic gave her a piece of paper and a pen and asked her to draw what the piece looked like. She drew a circle and in the middle of it wrote 710.

He then took her over to another car which had its hood up and asked "is there a 710 on this car?" She pointed and said, "Of course, its right there."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%