Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your first SAK?

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
What's your first SAK?
on: November 18, 2010, 04:00:40 AM
Mine is a Wenger Backpacker. I acquired it more than 15 years ago and I lost it several times but it always shows up after few days and sometimes after few weeks.

This SAK is very well used but all the implements are still in almost perfect condition. I have carefully sharpened the two blades a few times but they still look like they have the original factory edge.

I am very sad what happened to it last week. I was riding my motorcycle and it slipped from my pocket and bounced and tumbled on the concrete pavement. Both ends of the one scale were chipped off and on the other side one end was also chipped off. I did my best to repair the scales by using epoxy and coloring the surface with red permanent marker.

This SAK has a sentimental value and I want to restore it to its original condition.

Does anybody know where I can order a pair of scales for this?
Thank you.

Here are the pics of my Backpacker after I repaired the scales.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Re: What's your first SAK?
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 09:22:52 AM
Mine is (was) a Black Victorinox Huntsman. Bought it somewhere in France (while on holiday), lost it several years later :( :( :(

You could try fitting new scales if you can find them. Make sure those scales are exactly the same: Wenger changed the way the scales fit on the knife a couple of times and newer scales won't fit older knifes (and the other way around ;) ).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:25:57 AM by Reinier »
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 10:19:10 AM
If you ask Rotokid REAL nice, he may send you a set of scales for it.  I think he has some.  If not, I have a wenger adirondack that I can pilfer the scales from and send you.  PM me if you want them.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 10:39:50 AM
I am not really sure, but I can remember that it had a saw. Definitively a Vic, not a Wenger. I am pretty sure it had no scissors. Could have been a Camper. I can't remember how old I was when I got it, something around 8. Lost it many years ago.  :ahhh

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:41:55 AM
My first SAK was a blue classic SD that my pop gave me when I was 6.  I still have it, but I lost the blue scales years ago and replaced them with ruby scales.

us Offline EZ822

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 11:43:55 AM
My first SAK was a Deluxe Tinker.
Erick

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:03:02 PM
My first SAK was a Pioneer I bought with some birthday $ when I was 12ish , so around 25 years I have had it. At some stage I broke the blade tip  :( :(, I think I chucked it into my jock drawer   :think: :think:

I recently reshaped the blade tip

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

br Offline edursr

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 03:36:29 PM
My first Vic I got from my father in 1982 was a  Weekender... I still have it...already lost a couple of times but luckly it always comes back to me... :tool:

Offline Eyegor

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 03:44:32 PM
My first was an official BSA Wenger mid 80's vintage. Not sure of the model. I think it is still hiding in my parent's house somewhere.

As far as the OP replacing the scales. I think scars add character and document a well used and loved tool. It looks like you did a great job with the repairs. I would leave it alone. But that is just me.
T

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 05:33:15 PM
My 1st SAK was a Skipper and kind of still is (I'll explain). My dad bought it for me when I was about 9.
I sent it in for repair about a year ago because one of the scales broke around the knife locking thingy.
A week later I got back a brand spanking new skipper!
The only difference is that my old one had a fully serrated blade, while the new one is partially serrated.
 :tu:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:59:17 PM by NutSAK »
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 05:36:58 PM
I cannot remember which came first, but I'm pretty certain it was the Vic Vagabond; my second SAK was a BSA Tinker.  I still have them both, though the Tinker has seen better days.  Unfortunately, no pictures of either right now, and they're back home, so I can't photograph them until Thanksgiving break. :tu:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 07:59:34 PM
My 1st SAK was a BSA Hunstman that my uncle got me one Christmas back in the early 90's when I was about 10 or 11.  It has the slotted Philips, keyring nub on the liner instead of the backspring, screwed scissor joint, and the thicker main blade tang.  I still have it BNIB.  I never used it because I was so enamored with it, mainly because I wanted one so badly but couldn't get my own (hey, $20 is a lot when you're 10!).  Now I wish I had used it because 1) I don't like shelf queens and 2) so it would have some memories with it, but either way I probably will never part with it.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:01:09 PM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Offline richs2891

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 08:53:18 PM
Mine was a swiss champ that I saved up and bought when I was 12 or so, after been fobbed off with a knock off version ! I lost it 6 years later (had it taken off me) when I was at Uni, but bought another one to replace it, which 17 years later I still have today sat in my drawer, and is often the first one I pick up when I'm at home and need a screwdriver or scissors.
Richard

ca Offline Käfer

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 10:10:56 PM
Mine was an older style economy Spartan with cellidor scales that had a hot-stamped triangular shield.  I bought it with my allowance money when I was six.  It has been 'missing' for about 20 years now.  I blame my mom. . .

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 04:25:47 PM
My very first one was a mechanic, iirc.

Offline Zipp0man

What's your first SAK?
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 04:32:15 PM
Mine is an Victorinox fisherman.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 04:58:59 PM
I'm always a bit stumped by this question.  I had a couple of SAK-like knifes when in the Cubs and Scouts, but for the life of me I can't remember if they were clones or not (I think likely they were though). :-\  So the first one I had that I'm positive about was a Vic Waiter I got about 5 years ago.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

bg Offline kiak

Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 10:05:55 AM
My first is Spartan. I still have it with me, and using as EDC. Found it while skiing some 6 or 7 years ago...
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

us Offline Grateful

Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 01:20:38 PM
 Mine was a second hand climber that I got six or seven years ago. A couple of weeks later I got a nib tinker for Christmas. I have been hooked on sak's ever since. I still have the tinker but traded the climber away long ago. I have been wanting to get another climber for a while now, for old times sake. :climber:
Jim

de Offline trailmaster

Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 01:28:32 PM
Victorinox Red cellidor Tinker for me. still have it, but it is short of safe queen item. Don't use or carry it. it has seen use but it looks good and works good still.

us Offline cannonball

Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 02:02:14 PM
My first was an original Victorinox Traveller (Camper without key ring)or a Wenger locking blade 4 layer. I still have the Vic, I lost the Wenger along with a bag of my canoeing survival gear. I left it on the ground after unloading a canoe, someone got a nice pile of gear.

us Offline turbov21

Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 06:12:00 PM

Wenger Viking.

gb Offline rlocock

Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 08:09:11 PM
Mine was a Tinker for the phillips.It lived in whichever bag I had with me when on my cycle,as part of the tool kit I carried.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 08:21:07 PM
My first SAK was two SAKs it was Spartan and classic that came in a combo pack from Target.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

nz Offline HawkeyX

Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 05:45:21 AM
Mine was a tinker small, must be about 20 years ago. Still have it with various others and edc another tinker small. One of my favourite models.

pl Offline u99

Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 11:32:23 PM
My first SAK was Spartan  :tu:

pl Offline maba

Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 02:37:56 AM
Mhmm.. My 1st? Lumberjack! :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!