Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge Owners club !

Dunc · 2731 · 196036

za Offline Hood3dvillain

Re: Charge Owners club !
Reply #1710 on: November 09, 2021, 10:53:50 AM
My Damascus TTi

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
Leatherman Collector and User.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1711 on: November 09, 2021, 11:28:54 AM
Awesome pics, Hood 8) :drool: :like: :like:

Offline fs8899

• New User
Reply #1712 on: November 25, 2021, 04:54:16 PM
Hi all. Sorry on my bad english. My first Leatherman... colors on handle not same and double steel mark. Any one have similar problem? ???

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1713 on: November 25, 2021, 05:29:37 PM
Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers: It does seem that the one side of the handle is the woodland camo instead of the forest camo :oops:

Maybe Leatherman can sort this out for you :salute: and also, your English is fine to me :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 10:44:06 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1714 on: November 25, 2021, 08:46:30 PM
Better than yours. Read your post again  :pok:
 :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1715 on: November 25, 2021, 10:44:40 PM
Better than yours. Read your post again  :pok:
 :D

My english is fine :twak: my auto correct is just horrible  :whistle: :D

00 Offline Krobz

• New User
Reply #1716 on: November 27, 2021, 05:02:29 AM
Hi there,
New member here, I came before the Council of EldersTM to seek wisdom.

Irrelevant backstory section:
So my girlfriend's grandfather just passed a couple of months ago, and her father is now going through and selling off the truckloads of random stuff that are suddenly now his responsibility.
Since the old dude was operating along the lines of "Dammit where the #@!% is my... ehh nevermind I'll just pick one up on the way there...", he accumulated a Leatherman Wave, a Leatherman Charge, 3 Victorinox Spirits, a Victorinox SwissTool, some Gedore multitool with pliers, and a couple of other stuff like these...
I've told my girlfriend's dad I'll clean them up for him, so I took apart what I could, just gave the vinegar-wirebrush-WD40 treatment to the ones I could not disassemble, and after about 12 hours of sweatshop grade work, I was golden.
Before I've offered to clean them though, I've got offered to take one of the tools, and I didn't want to accept any of them, but now that I've spent a couple of intimate hours screaming at the tools, I kinda started to really like the Leatherman Charge. In the end I've accepted it, however, the more I tried to find reviews or information about it, the less I seem to know about it.

Question #1: now that I've already done it, it's time to ask if it was a bad idea  ::) : is the "soaking in 20% vinegar --> wire brushing --> clean water --> thorough drying --> basically submerging in WD40 --> wiping off the excess" technique acceptable for tools such as these? It removed all the rust, dirt and most of the weird evil eldritch snot that was stuck inside these tools, but not sure if on a random day they will just suddenly disintegrate because of this treatment. Was this a good method or did I commit a stupid?

Now for the identification:
So it seems very obvious that this is a Leatherman Charge, but there are a lot of versions of it, and mine just does not seem to fit any of the patterns.

leathermanCharge.jpg
* leathermanCharge.jpg (Filesize: 175.72 KB)

If I've successfully managed to upload the image, then here are the list of "clues" I've collected that might help differentiate between different versions of the Charge, numbered on the image:
  • I've seen a couple of Leatherman Charge images that had the ™ mark instead of the ® one. Question #2: What is the difference? European vs US market? (ohyeah I'm European, and probably he bought it here too. I know that Leatherman manufactures in the USA, but there might be differences, I don't know.)
  • The main knife blade is 154CM steel.
  • Both sides of the screwdriver bit are Phillips heads, none of them are flat. They are labeled "No 2" and "No 1" in that order.
  • As far as I know, there was an older kind of scissors that looked different from this one.
  • It's just an engraving "65.", I think it might have been a birthday present, but the family could not confirm it. Still, I'm pretty sure this is not a factory feature.
  • It does not have the replaceable cutters.
  • One of the engravings read 0205, the other one is 1B.
  • One of the engravings read 0205, the other one is 1C.
  • It's the hidden built-in lanyard ring.
  • The top side of the ring.
  • The bottom side of the ring.

The information extracted from these points:
  • Is the lanyard ring a "healthy one"? First of all, as seen on 9, 10 and 11, it does not look like the images in this review https://www.multitool.org/tools/leatherman/leatherman-charge-ti-review. It seems like my ring has the bevel on the bottom rather on the top, and it's top finish is more rough, like it was punched out of sheet metal in the other direction. Question #3: is this lanyard ring healthy? Does it not cause problems with the saw blade getting stuck on it since the bevel is on the bottom not the top? What could have caused this? On the Wave I've cleaned up along with this Charge, the bevel is in the correct place and direction, and the ring itself is punched in the right direction, so the top surface finish is better than the bottom.
  • As seen on 7 and 8, it's stamped as 0205, which if I'm not mistaken means that it was manufactured 2005 February. Question #4: what do the other, 1B and 1C engravings mean? Are those just the names of the handle pieces?
  • Question #5: Is the double Phillips, no flat head screwdriver bit usual? Because it's also not the one displayed in the review I've linked above. Also, I just find it strange. :dunno:

Question #6: Out of these information crumbs, does anyone have any idea what this specific version might have been called?

I would be super grateful for any answers anyone can give. I'm still a bit lost when it comes to the Leatherman ecosystem, but I already really like that people are modding them, and the fact that that's even possible.
Bonus question :D: I've seen knurled knobs used instead of the supersafety uniquesnowflake hole-in-the-middle torx screws on a couple of pictures of Leatherman tools. Are those the newer ones or the older ones? What's your opinion on them? Because I really hate these super-rare non-userfriendly screw heads, while that knurled knob solution seems really nice to me. I know that a security torx set is not such an esoteric and unique object that you have to loot it from some ancient ziggurat while dodging the poison dart traps and the snake pits, but it's always a bad vibe when someone tries to impede you from cleaning out the stuff you own.

Anyways, apologies for the wall of text, and thanks in advance  :hatsoff:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1717 on: November 27, 2021, 06:02:55 AM
Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers:

Not an uncommon Charge but an early one, they started producingCharge models in 2004 :cheers:

Just from the datecode in the handle and the fact it has scissors instead of 2 bit drivers and it has a 154cm plain edge blade make this a first generation Charge Ti :tu: later version were named Tti that had a few changes and combined some aspects of the Ti and XTi :tu:

0205 means February 2005 and the vinegar and WD40 shouldn't be to bad for it :tu: Just don't soak anything that is black oxide in vinegar  :whistle: :cheers:

00 Offline Krobz

• New User
Reply #1718 on: December 01, 2021, 02:53:16 AM
Okay, thanks for answering  :D
So this is an ancient Charge Ti.
Thanks for the confirmation about the vinegar-WD40 technique, now I'm a bit less anxious about putting high value tools in them  :D

A question I've found "some" answer was about "What's with the change from the ® symbol to the ™ symbol?"
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/leatherman-charge-ti.765834/
It seems to indicate that it's an old model if it has the ®, though the only other comment here goes against this interpretation, but I guess that one's wrong. :D

Also, I've looked into the "bonus question", which was about the knurled knobs that are sometimes used instead of the security torx screws. It looks like the community hates them, so I was wrong about my initial dislike of the security torx screws in favor of these. ohwell

A couple of questions still remain though:
  • So the double Phillips screwdriver bit is what came with the original, neither side being flat head? Because it's not usual, then it's possible that the dude who's tool this was also had a set of Leatherman bits somewhere, so I should notify his son to be on the lookout for them.
  • If someone has the same first generation Charge Ti, can you confirm that the lanyard ring is beveled on the "wrong side" for you too?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1719 on: December 01, 2021, 04:10:46 AM
The meaning "Old" is subjective because the Charge was only put into production in 2004 :D

A 2005 Charge Ti is still an older one but you get what I mean :cheers:

It would likely have originally came with a Phillips/flat screwdriver bit in the bit driver but the Charges also came with a bit card and that double left ended Phillips wpuld have probably came from that bit kit :cheers:

Do you mean the hidden lanyard ring under the saw :think:

If so then mine doesn't have a bevel ??? It looks the same as my 2018 Charge Plus :shrug:

The knurled screws come on the AL, Alx and regular Charge Plus but the 5 point (pentalobe) security screws came on the first generation Waves and the early Charges, then they changed them to the 6 point star screws shortly after and still have those on the current Waves and Charge Tti Plus :cheers:

A true modder has the tools to take the knurled screws off without any problems these days and the mod community here at MTO has no problem with those or the security fasteners  :whistle: ;) :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1720 on: December 02, 2021, 03:53:38 AM
Some Red G10 love :cheers:

us Offline IvanSD

Reply #1721 on: December 03, 2021, 03:14:37 AM
New guy over here. Here’s my Carbon Fiber Damascus and Wood Damascus Charges, along with some of their friends!

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #1722 on: December 03, 2021, 03:26:20 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:, Ivan and may I say what an awesome and great looking collection you have there! :like: :drool:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1723 on: December 03, 2021, 03:28:00 AM
Welcome to :MTO: Ivan 8) Glad you made the jump over from Facebook :salute: :like:

Wow, what a collection of Charges you have :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :drool: I knew you had several but no idea how many :o :like:

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #1724 on: December 03, 2021, 03:32:20 AM
New guy over here. Here’s my Carbon Fiber Damascus and Wood Damascus Charges, along with some of their friends!

:sa:

Nice!

And welcome  :tu:

us Offline IvanSD

Reply #1725 on: December 03, 2021, 03:34:26 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:, Ivan and may I say what an awesome and great looking collection you have there! :like: :drool:

Appreciate it! Glad to be here.  :drink:

us Offline IvanSD

Reply #1726 on: December 03, 2021, 03:36:07 AM
Welcome to :MTO: Ivan 8) Glad you made the jump over from Facebook :salute: :like:

Wow, what a collection of Charges you have :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :drool: I knew you had several but no idea how many :o :like:

They’re my favorite Leatherman model, by far. Most of them are shelf queens, but I love them all the same.

Looking forward to being a part of this community over here  :popcorn:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1727 on: December 03, 2021, 03:42:03 AM
I love the Charge as well, I have nowhere as many as you but I am slowly building that part of my collection :salute:

Can't wait to see more :drool: :like: :like:

• No Life Club
Reply #1728 on: December 03, 2021, 03:42:52 AM
OOOOH MY, YOU HAVE A BACARDI ONE!!!!!! :drool: :drool: :like: :tu:

It'd look soooo nice next to my Bacardi Gran Reserva Limitada bottle... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
 :cheers:

(Why there are two empty spaces!?!? :think:)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 03:52:47 AM by Juan el Boricua »

us Offline IvanSD

Reply #1729 on: December 03, 2021, 03:46:29 AM
)
OOOOH MY, YOU HAVE A BACARDI ONE!!!!!! :drool: :drool: :like: :tu:

It'd look soooo nice next to my Bacardi Reserva Limitada bottle... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
 :cheers:

(Why there are two empty spaces!?!? :think:)

;) And it’s a 2004 model! First year for both the Charge and Bacardi O :D

us Offline IvanSD

Reply #1730 on: December 03, 2021, 03:49:02 AM
I love the Charge as well, I have nowhere as many as you but I am slowly building that part of my collection :salute:

Can't wait to see more :drool: :like: :like:

:salute: Charges are a thing of beauty.

• No Life Club
Reply #1731 on: December 03, 2021, 03:50:46 AM
)

:dd: :2tu:

What about the empty slots... :think: :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1732 on: December 03, 2021, 04:01:16 AM
)

Don't believe I have ever saw one of those :o :dd: :like:

:salute: Charges are a thing of beauty.

:iagree:

us Offline IvanSD

Reply #1733 on: December 03, 2021, 04:04:26 AM

I’m thinking it was bought customized from Leatherman. I acquired it about a year ago.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1734 on: December 03, 2021, 04:13:03 AM
Looks very nice :drool: :like: :like:

• No Life Club
Reply #1735 on: December 03, 2021, 04:16:05 AM

• No Life Club
Reply #1736 on: December 03, 2021, 04:27:55 AM

:iagree:

Me neither but, probably a corporate gift, or quarter sales record incentive, or something like that; I think that the etched "o" at the end of the "Bacardi"  could be for "O :drool:ro" (gold), a popular rum. I'd stil love to have one though!!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1737 on: December 08, 2021, 03:33:50 PM
Got these from Leatherman Charge Fan over on Instagram  :cheers: He is from Belgium and has quite a few Charges himself  :D

This patch is his newest one and is pretty sweet  8)

This is an older and possibly his original style patch :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1738 on: December 09, 2021, 06:20:53 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1739 on: December 09, 2021, 06:21:41 PM

Donations