Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are Vic Grand Prix's Rare?

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Are Vic Grand Prix's Rare?
on: December 11, 2010, 03:07:57 PM
Thanks!
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: Are Vic Grand Prix's Rare?
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 03:26:28 PM
Why..?  :)

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 03:58:12 PM
Why..?  :)

Got 2 and will probably put up for auction.  Just don't have any concept of value....? ??? ???
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 06:15:57 PM
Rare, no, uncommon, yes :)

Value is of course primarily determined by condition.  They are long discontinued so finding one new in box is much less likely than one that's had a few years use.

There are several variations tool wise on the GP depending on when it was made.  It was in production for many years and some versions are harder to acquire than others, again altering value.

So not too easy to value.  I would say that if you're selling one its probably easiest to do an auction rather than buy now.  As such now is a poor time of year to do so and I'd wait until next year.

<spam>

I'll have a couple up on EDCS in January :D

</spam>
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:26:41 PM
There are usually a couple on Ebay at any given time with bids ranging from $15 for a user to close to $50 for a mint in box specimen.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Grand+Prix

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 05:36:41 AM
Rare, no, uncommon, yes :)

I don't even consider them that uncommon to be honest. There have ~ 70 sold on eBay this year, so they average about 6 per month. They were a pretty popular model, made from the early 70s until mid 90s. IMO they're one of those knives that have more of a reputation for being rarer than they really are, as they have the combination of being a discontinued model + memorable scales.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 02:53:58 PM
I guess it depends on your definition of uncommon, how many Spartans, Classics, Climbers sold over the same period :)

They're certainly not tricky to acquire though and only the very good condition ones seem to go for passable cash.  I sold two last year for reasonable sums but one was very good condition with its old style box and the other was unused and still had its price sticker on it.

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 04:45:38 PM
I guess it depends on your definition of uncommon, how many Spartans, Classics, Climbers sold over the same period :)

OK, that's a good point.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 06:13:56 PM
Grand Prix rare???  Not really.   

I picked up one, bought some for others, and could have bought more when I was in Korea.  All 100% NIB old discontinued stock, and the shop owner in Namdaemun Market had maybe 20 more for sale when I left Korea last July.

FYI: the picture of the one on SwisWikipedia is mine....it has the hook, and not the fine screwdriver.    Earlier varients have a fine screwdriver and no key ring.  Later ones (like mine) have a hook in lieu of fine screwdriver, and a key ring.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 10:55:07 PM
Sort of by accident I've aquired a few different variations of the Grand Prix recently. My price has varied quite a bit on them. I think it was last year, but maybe 2008, when Victorinox released a number of these NOS that were sold at standard retail price through a couple online sellers.  It's knid of nice that they are still relatively easy to obtain in new, or LN condition.

br Offline edursr

Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 04:44:01 PM
I bought two of those on ebay, both have the rounded philips screwdriver and no keyring, each one costed me around 20 dollars, new, one in box and one without box.

One had the scissors on it, and the other does not, only the large file. I think those are rarer and more valuable.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:06:25 PM by edursr »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD