Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question about the Swisstool's fit and finish

Offline Blackened Justice

Question about the Swisstool's fit and finish
on: January 04, 2011, 10:22:11 PM
Hey everyone. I am trying to get a Spirit S, and in the process of research I've found some threads in various forums saying that the Swisstool has inferior fit and finish when compared to the Spirit, regarding especially the play in the tools/blades. Can anyone comment on that? I may get a Swisstool (X) in the future, to have a heavy-duty and weight tool to carry when weight isn't a problem.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Question about the Swisstool's fit and finish
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:31:21 PM
On average, the Swisstools that I've handled have more up/down play in the lock mechanisms than the Spirits.  I don't worry about it a bit though.  Regardless of the fact, the Swisstool is my preferred carry when the going gets tough.  The fit and finish of the Spirit is so good, I'm not sure it's fair to compare it with any MT, regardless of brand.

my $.02
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:33:23 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:33:40 PM
I've had loads of Swisstools go through my hands and alot do have slight blade play and some have a little plier play but this does NOT effect use or in my opinion get any worse even after years of use .

I say go ahead and get one  ;)

Offline Blackened Justice

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 03:32:12 PM
Thank you both for the comments. Just to confirm, when you say it has "up/down play in the lock mechanisms", you mean from in the tang to the point direction, right?

Also, I've read about someone who fixed it "by wrapping it in a rag and putting it in a vice and slowly tightening and checking the rivet. It tightens it all up." How would this actually work?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 04:43:11 PM
Side play worries me , vertical play is a non issue - in Vic tools it is not a functional issue .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD