Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help finding the right keychain tool

Pocky · 12 · 3025

us Offline Pocky

• New User
Need help finding the right keychain tool
on: January 04, 2011, 04:30:15 AM
Hello, everyone.

I'm searching for the "perfect" keychain multi-tool for myself. I need something that I can use for computer/electronics repair/fidgeting, putting together baby furniture, and general handy-man stuff. I have done a search of the forums, but haven't found anything yet... but there's a lot to go through.

I've been eyeing the Leatherman Squirt ES4, which is almost perfect. If I could somehow add a pair of tweezers and a small screwdriver (for eyeglass repair), it would be 99% there. (a real Phillips-head screwdriver would be awesome, but is probably asking too much)

Is there anything out there that fits the bill, or should I go with the ES4 for now?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!
-Richard "Pocky" Kim

au Offline hazna

Re: Need help finding the right keychain tool
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 05:10:02 AM
what sort of tools are you after besides the tweezers and small screwdriver?  Are the tweezers really necessary?  I've rarely been in a situation where I need them...

you might consider the leatherman micra.  It has tweezers, small screwdriver and a 'flat' phillips screwdriver.

Also maybe the victorinox rambler.  Comes with tweezers, phillips screwdriver (surprisingly useful), and mini screwdriver.  I find the mini screwdriver a little thick for my eye glasses though.

Or you can get the leatherman es4 (I personally prefer the pliers version of the squirt), throw in a separate mini-screwdriver on your keychain.  I got one of these really cheap: http://www.focalprice.com/detail_HT396S.html .  Fits well in most eye glasses screws

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:01:31 AM
If you don't need scissors, the discontinued but still findable E4 has basically everything you need.

us Offline EZ822

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:19:26 AM
If you don't need scissors, the discontinued but still findable E4 has basically everything you need.
+1 on the E4. One of the few key chain tools that has a real Phillips screwdriver. You could pair it up with a Vic Classic to get the scissors and tweezers.
Erick

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:32:15 AM
It's not quite keychain, but I'll go with SAK CT34 it has everything listed, or if it is too bulky try CT29...

You can look here:

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=160&category_id=541a03b2b0e1b6dbd972e9f5af5ca992&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

or here

http://www.edcsource.com/index.php

Or just ask Neil or Tim....  :tu: :tu:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:39 AM
It's not quite keychain, but I'll go with SAK CT34 it has everything listed, or if it is too bulky try CT29...

You can look here:

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=160&category_id=541a03b2b0e1b6dbd972e9f5af5ca992&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

or here

http://www.edcsource.com/index.php

Or just ask Neil or Tim....  :tu: :tu:

Yes, this.

The ES4, E4, and Micra are good as "emergency" tools, but you gain a great deal of functionality with the Cybertools from Vic.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 11:15:03 AM
The very tip of the flat Phillips found on the ES4/PS4 actually works very well on the little screws found on most glasses.  The E4 really does sound pretty close to what you are looking for though.

http://www.multitool.org/Leatherman-Tool-Group/Keychain-Tools/2006/12/06/squirt-e4.html

If you are going to be using the tool quite a bit you really might want to look up a bit and go for something a touch bigger though, a Victorinox Cybertool or a Leatherman Juice S2 for example.  Won't go on your keys though. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 12:26:32 PM
What about the minichamp? It has really nice tweezers, philips head screwdriver, a mini screwdriver although might be too thick for the eyeglasses screws.

Having said that, Victorinox should release a work-minichamp alternative to the current minichamp, which is kind of "manicure" oriented. The LM PS4 was a good step on this.

us Offline Pocky

• New User
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:51 PM
Wow, thank you for the quick replies, everyone. I really appreciate it. :)

To answer some questions:

The main tools I tend to use are:

Knife - tough packaging, etc.)
Scissors - fine-control cutting/trimming of small wires and such)
Pliers - hard to turn screws and some smaller bolts
Tweezers - for when I, umm, "misplace" (read: drop) small screws in the PC case
Screwdrivers of all types - assembling and disassembling various parts, and fixing my glasses
Bottle opener - opening beer... well, what else? Heh.

I looked at the Micra, and again, it's near perfect. As I said above, I do use scissors a fair amount in my day-to-day travels, even though I'm not doing IT/handyman stuff full time anymore.

And the E4 and ES4 were the ones in the running for the "winner", with each trading off what I wanted (phillips and tweezers for scissors).

I think the Victorinox Cybertool might do it, though I think I'll try to find a store to see how it feels in my hand before I make my purchase.

Thank you again, everyone. I really appreciate it! (so does my wife, who now knows what to get me for my birthday)
-Richard "Pocky" Kim

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 12:08:51 AM
No problem Richard, let us know what you get. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 05:21:44 AM
Seems like all of the makers have focused in on the keychain sized tools lately.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%