Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Style CS review

Gareth · 53 · 13747

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Style CS review
Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 08:54:29 PM
Hey Desmodromic,

Do you ride a Ducati by any chance?   ;)

Pictures always welcome.  :cheers:

No more guessing mr. Whippy  :D I own and race a Ducati 999s in a Ducati dealer cup in holland. We go to some amazing tracks her in Europe, incl. Spa, Monza, Mugello and Brno and Assen of course, our home circuit.

Could post some pics, but dunno how, will look into the FAQ section
Ah, Spa ... My second home  :D (as part of the public, I'm not active in racing myself  :().

When do you guys race there, I would love to see that.  I'm a frequent visitor from the Belgian GP F1, and the FIA GT 24h from Spa, But I only once saw a motorcycle race, and that was the Superbike race in Assen, a long time ago (the year Neil Hodgson became world champion).

Great Hobby man, and great bike  :drool:.

Greetings,

Top-Gear-24

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 09:01:17 PM
Hey Desmodromic,

Do you ride a Ducati by any chance?   ;)

Pictures always welcome.  :cheers:

No more guessing mr. Whippy  :D I own and race a Ducati 999s in a Ducati dealer cup in holland. We go to some amazing tracks her in Europe, incl. Spa, Monza, Mugello and Brno and Assen of course, our home circuit.

Could post some pics, but dunno how, will look into the FAQ section

I am simultaneously in awe and quite envious.  :o  :drool:

That's just awesome.

I have a 996 and a Mulitistrada (1000DS type).   However, true speediness eludes me  :-\. Currently replacing the valve guides on the Multi. (and btw, I use a Leatherman Charge ALX in the wrenching phases).

You can attach pictures by clicking the  "Attachments and other options" at the lower left of the text box.

Once you have 25 (I think ) posts, you can also directly link to offsite sources like photobucker and flicker.

nl Offline Desmodromic

Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 10:45:59 PM
Dunno if this is allowed here (because it's off topic) but will post one.

Before it didn't seem to work

Edit: Did work this time. As you can see a lot of mods heb been done. Biggest one is the suspension. Standard is Ohlins but I have some big piston WP forks in them (56mm diameter!) They come from a real SBK (Honda Ten Kate) and have a custom made magnesium T-piece and crown plate. Lot's more, but i'm afraid I will get kicked in my first week because of topic polution.....

Sorry mod!
Ducati naked.jpg
* Ducati naked.jpg (Filesize: 126.85 KB)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:49:26 PM by Desmodromic »
Someone who wants finds a solution
Someone who doesn't want finds an excuse

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 11:01:01 PM
Dunno if this is allowed here (because it's off topic) but will post one.

Before it didn't seem to work

Edit: Did work this time. As you can see a lot of mods heb been done. Biggest one is the suspension. Standard is Ohlins but I have some big piston WP forks in them (56mm diameter!) They come from a real SBK (Honda Ten Kate) and have a custom made magnesium T-piece and crown plate. Lot's more, but i'm afraid I will get kicked in my first week because of topic polution.....

Sorry mod!

Thread derailment is a time honored part of MT.O  :D

Also, awesome motorcycle pics are always welcome.  :drool:

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 04:24:11 AM
Great review!
I bought one for my brother's birthday but took it back to the store after examining it a bit.
I noticed the poorly placed nail nick as you mentioned and also the hinge on the carabiner had some wiggle and play to it that bothered me.
Never tried the screwdriver out but I can certainly see what you mean there.
Oh yeah and I'm one of those folks who had problems getting the tweezers out.

All in all it's my favorite of the skeletool family but I'm more of a Swiss army Knife kind of guy and the shortcoming of this tool made me not want to give it to my brother who's almost as picky as I am. lol

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 05:13:02 AM
Great review!
I bought one for my brother's birthday but took it back to the store after examining it a bit.

I thought you were still talking Ducatis- I was going to ask if your parents were interested in adopting, as I wouldn't be nearly as picky as your brother if the bike wasn't perfect! 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nl Offline Desmodromic

Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 07:11:57 PM
Great review!

I thought you were still talking Ducatis- I was going to ask if your parents were interested in adopting, as I wouldn't be nearly as picky as your brother if the bike wasn't perfect! 

Def

:rofl: Ducati's don't break down, they only get sick.....Mine is healthy now and hope will be the comming season
Someone who wants finds a solution
Someone who doesn't want finds an excuse

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 10:45:05 AM
I own the micra and squirt. I like the squrit s4 the best due to outside access of the tools, but I have to admit, I love the micra too.

very nice review.
I like how you compared it to the micra.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 07:22:40 PM
Not having and S4 I couldn't compare it to that but, more importantly perhaps, the person reading the review might well be picking from LM's two current scissor based tools so the direct comparison seemed the way to go. :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:24:15 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: February 09, 2011, 11:09:17 PM
I see this review has made the main page  :)

Congratulations Gareth :salute:
Prone to daydreaming.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 07:38:35 PM
Thanks very much Craig. :cheers:

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 09:00:12 PM
Today I lost my loved Style CS. I had it on my keys and it seems the carabiner is not as strong as I hoped. Anyways, it is gone, and quite expensive here, so I guess I will get another one on my next US order.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #42 on: February 10, 2011, 09:24:10 PM
Today I lost my loved Style CS. I had it on my keys and it seems the carabiner is not as strong as I hoped. Anyways, it is gone, and quite expensive here, so I guess I will get another one on my next US order.
bummer.
I always though that could happen b/c of the carabiner being somewhat easy to push.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 05:45:12 AM
There was a time my Style CS fell to the ground while taking my keys out of my pocket because the carabiner had somehow detached from the keyring  ???
SAW

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 07:16:19 PM
I've been carrying mine on my keys for the last week now and not had a problem yet, though the fact you chaps have been having an issue is a bit concerning. :-\

us Offline sawman

Reply #45 on: February 12, 2011, 10:32:19 AM
I've been carrying mine on my keys for the last week now and not had a problem yet, though the fact you chaps have been having an issue is a bit concerning. :-\
Does anyone know why the carabiner clip has the triangular opening on it because I think that is what's catching on keychains causing it to open  :-\
SAW

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: February 12, 2011, 10:48:49 AM
Does anyone know why the carabiner clip has the triangular opening on it because I think that is what's catching on keychains causing it to open  :-\

You mean the bulge in the gate? 

My assumption is that it's there to make it easier to open with your thumb.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: March 09, 2011, 05:52:48 PM
Hi all,

Gareth, thanks for the great review.  I just got one of these a couple of days ago and so far my biggest issue with it is figuring out where to carry it, because I don't normally carry keys in my pockets.  I'm an avid cyclist, and even the baggy mountain style bike shorts I prefer don't usually have much to offer in the way of pockets.  Regardless, it was because of your review that I decided to get one of these.

I had a PS4 for a little while, but wasn't thrilled with the scissors or the bottle opener; both were too small to use easily, it always took some fussing on my part to get the bottle opener to work well on the first try (that is, to get it to catch and pull up a good part of the edge of the cap).  And after being mindful of my usage habits, I found I really didn't use the pliers all that much either and that I ended up using the knife and the scissors most.  So, the Style CS made more sense for me than the PS4.  I also looked at the Micra, but the fixed tweezers just didn't cut it for me, not that I use them all that much anyway.

Anyway, thanks again for the great review.  I'm very happy with my Style CS so far.  :)
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: March 09, 2011, 06:36:03 PM
Very glad you enjoyed it Heinz. :cheers:  I know I'm certainly still liking my CS. :)

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 04:09:01 PM
Hey, everyone :)

I've had the Style CS for a couple of months now (a gift by a friend) and I'd also like to share my thoughts on it. First of all, I've just got into multi tools and I'm not an expert, nor am I trying to convince anyone in anything.

I've been quite torn apart between the "do-I-like-it-or-not" options. What I dislike is purely related to the design- I do not drink anything that can be opened with the type of a bottle opener the CS offers, therefore it's just unnecessary length/space/bulk/weight for me. Althought the carabiner is sometimes useful, I don't like its general "flimsiness". I prefer carrying my multi tool in my pocket/wallet. In other words, the entire bottle opener/carabiner thing is useless and unnecessary for me.

I also dislike the plastic black part on the tool just for being... plastic. It makes it look and feel rather cheap.

The tweezers are REALLY difficult to take out for me. I keep my nails short and I have never ever been able to take the tweezers out without the help of another tool/sth sharp & pointed.

The two tiny holes on the blade that are meant as a design pattern can often get full of dirt and if you cut sth with the blade, the holes tend to get full of the "material".

That being said, let's move to something more positive: I adore the blade itself. It's really really sharp. It's good that it's also available from the outside.

The scissors are also very good.

The tweezers, functionally, are AWESOME- when I manage to take them out, lol, they're outstanding. They can catch even barely visible hairs/fuzzes.

I've rarely used the screwdriver and almost never use files, but I think they work just fine.

So, my general thoughts are that... I'd gladly exchange my Style CS for another tool of about the same size if I had the chance to. I'm actually buying one used, but very very very good looking Micra from Ebay... it at least doesn't have the additional length in the carabiner/bottle opener and the holes on the knife, which will keep it kind of.. cleaner. I'm not sure the tweezers will be so good, but oh well.

Thanks for reading :)

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 06:55:25 PM
Excellent first post N_N_R, welcome to the forum. :cheers:  I've carried and used the Style CS quite a bit since first writing my original review but my opinion has changed very little.  It's a perfectly good tool, but not flawless.  As you say though, the main two functions; scissors and blade, are both very good. :)

us Offline sawman

Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 08:09:34 PM
Thanks for your review and first post.  Although I like the Style CS, I find it a little redundant to the Vic Classic SD, which occupies less space while offering basically the same tools.  Every little thing I add to my gear results in weight in my pockets and it is for this reason I gave up on the CS quite a while ago.

Welcome to the forum!
SAW

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 09:03:53 PM
Thanks, Gareth : )

Thanks, sawman : )

Yeah, I also prefer my items as small as possible & therefore as functional as possible. That's why I sometimes want to be able to just remove the whole carabiner part of the CS, lol.

I think I'm falling in love with the forum & multi tools... not good for my budget, lol.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%