Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

any one here powdercoat?

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
any one here powdercoat?
on: October 20, 2007, 01:23:08 AM
I am looking to have a Kick made Pink for a special kiddo. She is 5 and stated the Squirt Def sent her is not the same as mine,( she wants a full size tool, and the 2 juice models I got dont cut it for her)  so I was interested in having a Kick powdercoated pink and removing the blade from it. Is there any one here able to help me out?

Willing to pay anyone that can get this done for me for their time, so ask around. Unfortunatly the shop down the road wanted way too much to do this. He actually told me it would be custom work, and I really cant justify paying $75 bucks to have it sprayed and baked. :ahhh

Still love this little guy. :ahhh 
S

us Offline Splat

Re: any one here powdercoat?
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 01:35:50 AM
It's been a long while since I asked around about powdercoating.. but $75 doesn't seem that bad. I couldn't/wouldn't pay more than though!  I don't know where you're at... You can look up powdercoating services online for USA and parts of Canada at http://www.thomasnet.com/ .  I searched for inside New Jersey, USA and got a lot of results back. Then give the closest ones a call. Good luck.  :)
--
Splat
Splat

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 01:49:57 AM
The money for me seems rediculous. I cant understand how something so small can cost so much. Maybe i should look into Durakote.
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?Category=218

Oh by the way. :ahhh
S

Offline Mutt

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:44:47 AM
There are do-it-yourself powder coating kits available.  I didn't do a search on it yet, but the product I saw was featured on an automotive show on Spike TV.  It was a good showcase, too.  I didn't realize that powder coating was actually powdered plastic sprayed on, then held on temporarily with static electricity, and finaly permanently melted on in an oven.  Basically a plastic "paint".  The guys in marketing were on the ball when they decided to call it "powder coating"!  You have a great idea.  If you don't find it, let me know and I'll tell you what I find.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 01:13:34 PM
You may also be just as far ahead to get the blade-less Fuse as to try and mod the Kick.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:11:51 AM
Yah, but as she would say:

I WANT PINK!!!!!

Oh Yah :ahhh
S

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:45:07 AM
I doubt powder coating a Fuse would be any more difficult than powder coating a Kick, and I thought it might get you halfway there.

Have you thought about a good automotive grade paint?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 12:32:44 AM
Auto paint might do the trick.  I know a guy around here that does powdercoating.  Matter of fact that is most of his business.  I'll see if I can find his card so that you can drop hima line. 

If you rough up the tool with some steel wool and did the automotive paint thing it might actuall turn out quite nice.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 01:46:55 AM
I'm sure there may be some super-duper grade of paint, but....in my amateur experience paint doesn't stick very well to stainless steel.

Leatherman initially offered Micras that were painted red and blue and black, but the paint scratched off so easily that they switched to anodized aluminum or colored plastic scales.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 04:23:51 AM
Well, I have searched high and low and I cannot find the business card of the guy that does the powder coating.  Sorry. :(

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 12:08:03 AM
No problem I just mike look for a Pink Juice.
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD